Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: repairing a drilling

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
repairing a drilling
      #295280 - 15/02/17 07:31 AM

Hello all.
I am doing a repair on a Drilling that is 2 rifles over a 20 ga shotgun. The rifle barrels are chambered in a shell I can't seem to identify.
There are markings on the underside, but I am not sure if I am reading them correctly.
They look like10.6m

But they may be 1C6m

The casting of the chamber itself gives me these measurements.

Rim diameter .540"
Rim Thickness .070"
Shell web in front of rim. .479"
Case mouth .470"
Shell length 2.365"
Bullet diameter .447" Aprox. Taken from throat in front of chamber.
Bore diameter .425"

Can anyone tell me what I have here, and if brass is available?

Note, in the writing above I tried to make the 60 come out underneath the line s reading 1C.6m and 10.6m, but the computer will not show them that way.

I hope this is understandable,

Edited by szihn (15/02/17 07:36 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: repairing a drilling [Re: szihn]
      #295298 - 15/02/17 11:37 AM

Your markings mean 10.6mm x 60mm. 10.6 is the diameter of the bore and 60mm is the case length. There should be some letters by that mark witch will designate weather your gun fired cast,copper or steel jacket projectiles. The German gun collectors forum is a good place to seek advice. You can also check Donalys book of cartridge conversions for info.

fuhrmann
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/05
Loc: Switzerland
Re: repairing a drilling [Re: Wayne59]
      #295320 - 15/02/17 07:25 PM

Yes, 10.6 should be the bore diameter in mm (your measurement of .425 equals 10.79 mm)
and 60 mm the case length.
Bullet diameter between 11.15 mm (.43) and 11.5 mm (.45)

My guess is this is one of the pre-WWI blackpowder cartridges, and there were oh so many, see below.
My first guess would be a straight-walled 11,15x60R Express or LK (not the bottlenecked .43 Mauser) but I can be wrong .
I second Wayne59: proofmarks may help. And pictures of the gun are interesting, of course.
But: there were many very similar cartridges around, and proof laws back then did not require unambiguous caliber designation on the rifle.
I practical terms, you do not need to know the old name - take exact measurements from chamber cast and a lead slug, and start preparing cases from there.

Bertram in Australia and Horneber in Germany make cases for many old calibers. I do not know if they will have this particular one.
But maybe some available case can be adapted.
With your .479 base diameter in front of the rim (12.17 mm) I would check 9,3x74R, .30 R Blaser, .405 Winchester etc.
Regards, fuhrmann

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: repairing a drilling [Re: fuhrmann]
      #295412 - 17/02/17 03:42 AM

Fuhrman, I brought up Horneber on Google and they have a contact e-mail address, but it doesn't work. The letter got kicked back to me and the notice said there were "permanent errors" and the address was non-functional.

Can you contact them?

Are they still in business?

sharps4590
.300 member

Reged: 09/03/16
Loc: Missouri Ozarks
      #295444 - 18/02/17 12:04 AM

Fuhrman is right, it isn't the bottlenecked 11.15 X 60R case head, aka Mauser "A" base. At least not according to my 11.15 X 60R. I measured one of mine curious to see if it might work as a parent case, not even close.

I've have some interesting excursions with old, unidentifiable German cartridges. Each one more interesting and fun than the last.

Fuhrman will have to answer definitively but I do believe Horneber is still in business.

Furhman, thank you for posting that sheet. I have a T&S drilling stamped "XX X 74 1/2". What you posted is the first time I've seen any of the Nimrod cartridges specifically shown and mentioned. I also have a 10.5 X 47R in a combination gun. Pretty cool to see it on the sheet also!!!

--------------------
Jesus said, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John14:6

fuhrmann
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/05
Loc: Switzerland
      #295446 - 18/02/17 12:53 AM

I just reached Mr. Horneber using the phone number given in his website, no problem.
Mr. Horneber said his email address has been changed, so please try again with this:
info@huelsen-horneber.de

Further he said that he is not distributing via Huntingtons any more (are they out of business?), but direct shipment from Germany is somewhat complicated and costly - thanks to your previous government...

Regards fuhrmann

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2247

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com