Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Cowboy Action Shooting Kid

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Organisations & Associations >> Clubs, Associations and Organisations

Pages: 1
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Cowboy Action Shooting Kid
      #273132 - 13/11/15 03:30 AM

Check this out- from 3 minutes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00blgdwdSxs

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
yumastepside
.333 member

Reged: 25/10/15
Loc: Tasmania Australia
Re: Cowboy Action Shooting Kid [Re: DarylS]
      #285009 - 10/07/16 07:55 AM

...... the video won't play for me, was it "savage sam "?

Roger

--------------------
If you live for a thousand years, you still only have one life, don't waste it.

Al333
.333 member

Reged: 24/02/13
Loc: B.C. Canada
Re: Cowboy Action Shooting Kid [Re: yumastepside]
      #285011 - 10/07/16 08:31 AM

It tell's me that account has been terminated. al

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting Kid [Re: Al333]
      #285013 - 10/07/16 08:56 AM

SRY, I've the same thing.

--------------------
Daryl

twobobbwana
.333 member

Reged: 25/11/11
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #294655 - 02/02/17 11:39 AM

You need to take a look at Spencer Hoglund aka "Lead Dispenser" on youtube if you're interested in the "cowboy shoot".

Consider how much has gone on in the time that it has taken while you are watching the footage.

To appreciate what the top notch cowboy shooters can do with a lever action rifle (10 shots), two single action pistols (5 shots each) and a side by side shotgun (usually 4 shots +, no ejectors) you should give it a go.

Very addictive. Best thing I've shot since IPSC.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting Kid [Re: twobobbwana]
      #294657 - 02/02/17 12:08 PM

I agree - it is fun! It also is VERY expensive to get into.

--------------------
Daryl

twobobbwana
.333 member

#294693 - 03/02/17 10:55 AM

Doesn't have to be Darryl.

My shotgun owes me a bottle of Jamiesons (could have had it for nothing but it was a families heirloom - much fondly carried by their father. Has a Greener crossbolt which I don't recommend for a SASS match shotgun.

My two old model Blackhawks owe me $500/pair (+ the cost of changing out the barrels from 6 1/2" to 4 3/4" - couldn't bring myself to cut them)

My rifle Rossi 92 (factory engraved and nickelled) cost me $100 (hardly been fired - wouldn't feed better than 50%). Wouldn't recommend a 92 or clone. The fast guys use Uberti 73s and 66s.

My holsters owe me $350 (El Paso Saddlery - I'd recommend them)

Shotgun belt (came with a shotgun). Got to get a better one.

Hat,Jeans,Boots were already in the wardrobe.

"Grandpa" shirt ($60 - made for me) and braces ($15 - from a sale)

While this gear won't take me to the "top of the heap" - cause I'm too slow twitch - I still beat a lot of guys who have the "top gear".

If I invested in the practice I'd improve my placings.

I find that in shooting competitions you must have at least adequate gear. Cowboy shooting requires 150% reliability. After that practice and continual improvement of technique will garner more points than a bigger cheque book. "Perfect practice makes Perfect"

Al333
.333 member

Reged: 24/02/13
Loc: B.C. Canada
      #294696 - 03/02/17 12:01 PM

When I shot cowboy action, my problem was real cowboy's didn't shoot Italian guns. Al

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting Kid [Re: Al333]
      #294701 - 03/02/17 01:30 PM

LOL

My Uberti model 1876 .50/95 is a winner in challenge matches, knocking down 11 out of 12 shots from 150 to 200yards. Not sure an original Winchester model 76 would fair as well.

--------------------
Daryl

twobobbwana
.333 member

#294845 - 06/02/17 12:25 PM

Al333,

When you shot cowboy action.................how many of them were real cowboys ???

DarylS
.700 member

#294848 - 06/02/17 02:05 PM

Al might have been a real one. Not me.

Got a lot of old wannabe cowboys 'n gals around here, though.

Funny thing we found out, those people, gals and guys are all pretty good with handguns, but few can shoot rifles or shotguns well.

Too - the wimpy loads they demand to shoot so there is literally NO recoil, will not knock over the plates even when fired from a rifle.

Enter my .50/95 with 368gr. FN's at 1,755fps & the Colt Lightening with 255gr. @ 1,350fps did an excellent job.

A friend's sub 900fps with 125gr. from his .38 Spl. Marlin 94 would not even knock over the light ones.

Only one I hit with the .45 Colt failed to fall over. I managed 17 plates out of 27 for my team in 3min. 28 seconds, comprised of 50 to 200yards, smallest were about 8" and 1/4" thick (.38 would knock those over) to the full sized chickens, turkeys, pigs and rams. I knocked over all of the targets from 150yards out, plus a bunch of the closer ones with the .45 Colt. I held 11 rounds and my .50/95 had 12 rounds. 2 my bullet went over as they fell after I fired but before my bullet got there. One, I missed.
The next closest team was just over 5 minutes - 5:13 I think it was.
All shooting was sitting, cross sticks. Both of my barrels were too hot to touch- especially the 1876's barrel.

6 man teams. My other 5 members got 10 targets as amongst them were a .45/70 Marlin and a .45/70 Sharps.

I'm also a gopher hog when out shooting those, I am told by my gopher shooting buddy.

The kits for the 73's and 66's to reduce the lever travel also helps speed them up.

I only have one revolver - a .357 Blackhawk, 4 5/8". That is the only true length for a 'working' SA revolver - ihmo - lol.

No SXS nor 1897 Win. I do have a model 96 Marlin, but they are deemed not to be safe and thus are not allowed.

No pistol ctg. rifle, so I borrowed my bro's Colt Lightening.

I do have a couple rifles suitable for challenges - the model 1876 .50/95 and a 12 1/2 pound Sharps .45 1.9".

If I need to shoot another match - maybe in May - I'll borrow a 'kit', Colt .45's w/4 5/8" bls., .45 Colt Lightening and 12 bore SXS from my bro again. Those are needed for the normal shoots.

Last year, I used 2 borrowed handguns, a .45 Colt Richardson conversion & a Schofield. Both, lots of fun. The SXS was a hammer gun Husky - nice shape. Placed second. A long time friend from Canmore Alberta, also retired RCMP, placed 1st - beat me overall by 2 seconds. I placed second - both of us our first cowboy action match - it was fun.

He was on my challenge match rifle team on Sunday, but his .38 spl. would not knock over any plates. pew-clink, pew-clink, pew-clink, pew-clink. LOL

--------------------
Daryl

twobobbwana
.333 member

#295030 - 10/02/17 12:27 PM

Daryl,

My .38 special load is 2.8 gns of Bullseye, Red Dot.......... whatever and it worries me that it's not consider light enough to be a "Mouse Fart" load.

These loads knock everything down..........but the distances are short. I'm not talking the long range Cowboy Rifle Silhouette course here.

Great match requiring considerable dexterity with four guns. Plenty of scope for major foul ups, jams, missed targets.

Shooting the shotgun would be great practice for loading and shooting a double rifle that has no ejectors and two triggers.

Here in Australia we're pretty much limited to side by sides.

A greener crossbolt is a definite disadvantage in a "cowboy" shotgun.

We shoot a lot of courses where sideways changes to shoot positions are required but few that require moving forward down the range. I think it would be good if it were like multiple gun Cowboy IPSC where you shot "Comstock" courses requiring lots of movement.............but then again if my knees where bad perhaps I wouldn't be so keen on "lots of movement".

Everybody should go and take a look at one of these matches. It's not accurate shooting but it's great for the spectators. When you see what the better shooters can do, in such a short amount of time with four different guns, you'll get an appreciation for it..............if you're paying attention.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7945

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com