Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: SIG SAUER P320

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
SIG SAUER P320
      #294942 - 09/02/17 01:13 AM

Had a look at the SIG Sauer P320. The new handgun of the US military.

What do people here think of it? Any advantages or disadvantages to it from people's personal point of view?

https://www.sigsauer.com/products/firearms/pistols/p320/

Exchangeable barrels, slides, grips, etc. Available in 9 mm, .357 SIG, .40 S&W, ,45 ACP.

The full size model would be legal in Australia.

A question on price. Per Cleavers Firearms, they are on sale for about $A950. The P226 ranges from $A2000 to $A4000, why the big differece in prices?

SIG SAUER
P320 9MM
10 SHOT, CASED
TWO MAGS
120MM CLUB LEGAL
BARREL

Introducing the P320®, a pistol that defies comparison
with revolutionary features that stand alone.
A smooth, consistent trigger pull. Safe, tool-free disassembly.
A proper fit for any hand size—no backstrap required.
Consider the mold broken.

Safety isn’t negotiable. The P320 maximizes peace of mind with a robust safety system. Never again will you need to pull the trigger to disassemble your pistol. And, while available as an option, you won’t need a tabbed trigger safety for your gun to be safe.
WERE $1229 SLASHED TO
NEW $949
NOT AVAILABLE FOR SALE TO NSW
AVAILABLE FOR ON LINE
PURCHASE ONLY
AT THIS PRICE !!!!

https://www.cleaverfirearms.com/Products.aspx?Category=Handguns&Brand=51

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: SIG SAUER P320 [Re: NitroX]
      #294943 - 09/02/17 01:39 AM

P320 Nitron Full-Size

Target shooting or home defense, the P320 Full-Size delivers the shootability and accuracy you need.

Specs
CALIBER
9mm Luger / 357 SIG / 40 S&W / 45 Auto
ACTION TYPE
Semi-Auto
FRAME SIZE
Full-Size
FRAME FINISH
Stainless Steel
FRAME MATERIAL
Stainless Steel
SLIDE FINISH
Nitron
SLIDE MATERIAL
Stainless Steel
ACCESSORY RAIL
M1913
TRIGGER
Striker
TRIGGER PULL DA
6.5 lb (29 N)
TRIGGER PULL SA
N/A
BARREL LENGTH
4.7 in (119 mm)
OVERALL LENGTH
8.0 in (203 mm)
OVERALL WIDTH
1.3 in (33 mm)
HEIGHT
5.5 in (140 mm)
WEIGHT
29.5 oz (836 g)

Details
The P320 Full-Size offers a smooth, crisp trigger to make any shooter more accurate, an intuitive, 3-point takedown and unmatched modularity to fit any shooter and any situation. Its full-size frame is ideal for target shooting, home defense and any scenario where shootability and sighted accuracy are of the highest priority. This modular, striker-fired pistol features a full-size grip, full length slide, and choice of contrast or SIGLITE Night Sights. Available calibers include 9mm, .357SIG, .40S&W and .45ACP. Safety features include a striker safety, disconnect safety.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p320-nitron-full-size.html

Can the different mags be swapped from one handgun to another? eg a 17 round mag substituted for a 10 round?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#294945 - 09/02/17 01:52 AM

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/05/foghorn/gun-review-sig-sauer-p320/

Gun Review: SIG SAUER P320

Nick Leghorn

May 8, 2014 192 comments

Polymer framed striker fired handguns are all the rage at the moment, but there’s always something that bugged me about them. The basis of the guns are a metal chassis, but in order to make the frame they mold the chassis into the frame itself. That always struck me as a lazy solution to the problem of integrating metal and plastic to form the firearm, and apparently the guys at SIG SAUER thought so too. Building on the earlier P250 platform, they’ve created a truly modular striker fired handgun . . .

While I touched briefly on the impetus for the modular design in my first impressions article, there’s another facet to the need for a modular handgun: the military. Tired of needing to buy multiple handguns to suit different roles (carry guns for military police, combat firearms for soldiers, concealable compact guns for investigators) the military has been wanting to replace their existing hodgepodge collection with a single model that can be configured on the fly to meet any mission requirement.

The drive to find the one gun is called the MHS or Modular Handgun System competition, and should be kicking off within the next few months. While SIG was always keeping the civilian market in mind, the true reason behind the P320 is the military’s MHS competition.

While some firearms can arguably be called modular (a caliber change kit or interchangeable backstraps perhaps?) nothing really comes close to the P320 in its ability to change almost every major feature of the gun. The pistol disassembles in just a few seconds into its constituent parts, and the entire metal chassis of the gun — the serialized part that is technically the “firearm” in the eyes of the ATF — slides completely free of the frame. That chassis is also designed to fit exactly into the existing grips for the P250, meaning that there are already aftermarket parts available that will fit the 320.

In case you haven’t figured out exactly how big a deal this is, let me give you some examples.

Instead of needing to buy a completely different firearm for your big-handed self and your small-handed girlfriend, now you only need to buy a new smaller frame for her at a cost of about $50.

If you want to change from a 9mm to a 45ACP gun you don’t need a new firearm, just pay $350 to your parts supplier of choice and a conversion kit will arrive at your doorstep with everything you need to get running with your new chosen caliber…no FFL required. Or if you want to go from a full size gun to a compact carry version, $400 for a new barrel and grip is all you need.

And if you decide become a shade tree gunsmith with a soldering iron and add some aggressive stippling to your firearm — and then immediately regret your decision — you can replace the grip cheaply and easily.

But for competitors, the biggest benefit might be the ability to take your trigger group of choice, the one you’ve polished and tweaked and perfected to get it just the way you like it, and swap it between guns without any issues. Another benefit of the 320’s easily-removed metallic bits is that you can clean the gun remarkably easily. No muss, no fuss, no trying to shove Q-tips into hard-to-reach nooks and crannies.

So, the gun is a technological step forward. But the real question is how well it works on the range, and for me it’s something of a mixed bag.

The gun really does feel slick. The finish on the slide is as satin-smooth as any of their other firearms, and the overall design is extremely appealing. They’ve departed from the traditional SIG-y look a little bit and took a chance, and it seems to have worked. It’s a more modern, stylized SIG SAUER handgun, and personally I think it looks fabulous.

Firing the gun, it feels exactly as solid as any of the all-metal firearms already in SIG Sauer’s line. Polymer handguns can tend to have a more toy-like feel to them, but the P320 is built like a brick house. Recoil is no worse than with any other 9mm handgun, and the sights are the same ones from my P226 — slim but useful.

Instead of their traditional grip angle, SIG has gone for a slightly steeper approach. So moving from the FNH USA FNS-9 to the P320 it takes a couple of seconds to get acquainted with how the gun points, but it starts feeling natural pretty quickly. The angle is closer to what I would call “neutral” for me at least, closer to the normal cant of my hand than other handguns.

Other small improvements include metallic magazines (which everyone except GLOCK uses these days), night sights and a very conveniently placed magazine release button. There’s also a full-length Picatinny rail (as opposed to the proprietary SIG rails on other guns) at the front of the gun for all your attachment needs.

SIG’s Kevin Brittingham wants me to start using this as my competition handgun. And while I agree that it has some great features, there are two specific issues that give me some pause about making the switch.

Issue #1 is that, as-is fresh out of the box, the 320’s trigger isn’t perfect. But let me give you a little back story to illustrate how small of a nit-pick this is.

In striker fired handgun designs, you have to partially reset the firing pin using the forward motion of the slide. The trigger pulls the firing pin back the rest of the way and releases it, but if you used the trigger 100% for the firing pin reset, that makes it a long and heavy trigger pull. Most striker fired guns have somewhere between 60% and 70% of the firing pin reset accomplished by the slide’s cycling motion, which gives the shooter some take-up in the trigger before the break and makes the trigger pull a bit heavy. SIG sets their triggers at 90%. That means minimal take-up, but it also requires them to set the trigger pull at a heavier weight to keep the shooter from accidentally touching off rounds.

The effect of that 90% setting is twofold. First, there’s no segmentation in the 320 trigger — it’s a solid piece and feels like any of their other triggers, which I like. But second, the way the trigger breaks due to the artificially increased pull weight just has too much roll for my preference. I like crisp and clean triggers, and this gun doesn’t have one.

That’s not to say that the trigger is bad. It’s way better than either the stock GLOCK or S&W M&P triggers. It’s just not perfect. Yet. The good news: replacing the trigger is easy as pie when they come out with a new version.

Issue #2 is the height of the gun. As with all SIG SAUER’s handguns, I find that there’s more material above my hand than with other brands. A higher bore axis means that it has a longer arm and therefore more felt recoil. But it’s no more than I feel when I fire my P226. That higher bore is a function of the way the metal trigger insert is designed, since it can’t protrude down into the magazine well (where most polymer framed handguns hide their internal bits) and instead needs to stay above the level of the hand.

The picture above is a side by side comparison of the P320 with my FNS-9 handgun. As you can see, the P320 is a little bit bigger — emphasis on the little. We’re talking a difference of maybe 10%. But like I said, these are small issues.

So there are my two relatively minor issues with the gun. Everything else is exactly as you’d expect with a SIG handgun, including my propensity to ride the slide release and keep the gun from locking back on the last round. But as for that, they are indeed working on an improved design to put a stop from the inadvertent malfunctions once and for all. Ultimately though, the question is how well it shoots.

I honestly don’t think I could do better even with my Wilson Combat 1911. The gun is a tackdriver.

Overall, what we have here is a truly modular handgun that actually functions really well. With the exception of two relatively minor gripes, the gun is an ideal choice for someone looking for a striker fired handgun. And based on my experience, I’d recommend this over either the GLOCK or the S&W M&P without any hesitation.

Specifications:

Chamber: 9mm (or .357 SIG, or 45ACP, or…)
Barrel: 4.7″
Capacity: Ships with 2x 17 round magazines (as allowed by law)
MSRP: $719

Ratings (Out of Five Stars):
All ratings are relative compared to the other weapons in the gun’s category. Overall rating is not mathematically derived from the previous component ratings and encompasses all aspects of the firearm including those not discussed.

Accuracy: * * * * *
The gun is more accurate than I am.

Ergonomics: * * * *
The grip angle takes a little getting used to for more experienced shooters, but it works. The height of the bore axis, however, is an issue.

Reliability: * * * * *
No malfunctions whatsoever.

Customization: * * * * *
Customization is what the 320 is all about. You can convert it from a 9mm long slide competition handgun into a compact 45ACP self defense gun in roughly 30 seconds. And while caliber conversion kits are yet to be released (they’re on their way) the grips are already on sale. And all P250 grips will fit the P320.

Overall Rating: * * * *
It’s not perfect. Well, not yet anyway. A crisper trigger would go a long way. But out of the box, the gun is about three and a half stars. Factor in the insane level to which you can customize this gun and it earns a full 4 stars. A truly modular handgun, executed with typical SIG SAUER precision.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (11/02/17 08:43 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #294949 - 09/02/17 04:39 AM

SIG's are very nice indeed. The only one I've shot are the 226 in 9mm when the ERT was issued them back in the 80's.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: SIG SAUER P320 [Re: DarylS]
      #294964 - 09/02/17 12:12 PM

I saw a report on this on GUNS AND AMMO the television series a couple months back..Kyle Lamb and Craig Boddington --they were shooting the .45 cal version..Kyle Lamb is retired special forces..he loved it ..said it pointed very naturally and in the show he was extremely accurate with it..

That is all I know about it..

Plan to check them out when I get back...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: SIG SAUER P320 [Re: Ripp]
      #294973 - 09/02/17 01:33 PM

People seem to like them but I've been burned on any Sig that isn't made in W. Germany (assume the same is for Switzerland but never owned one). I'll pass.

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: SIG SAUER P320 [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #295036 - 10/02/17 05:47 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Nitro-X, I did a transfer on one in 9mm Para, late last year (from Cleavers).
They are the usual well designed and made Sig but iirc, they have a polymer frame.

I would say, they have been made to a price, so as to compete with all the competitors for the US military job. But even if they did this and they would have cut some corners (?), they would still be better than any Beretta 92.

As I have mentioned before John, get one in your hands, and have a play to see how it feels, before "you let the moths out".

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: SIG SAUER P320 [Re: Homer]
      #295051 - 10/02/17 07:20 PM

Quote:

They are the usual well designed and made Sig but iirc, they have a polymer frame.

I would say, they have been made to a price, so as to compete with all the competitors for the US military job.

Are you sure about the polymer frame? I believe the website and reviews says all steel.

I assume they have been made more cheap to be competitive for military tenders. The reviews usually compare them only to the Glocks and S&W tyoe service handguns. Says a lot.

But I was wondering what ARE the differences between the P226 and P320 to make one prices at two to four times as much?

The trouble with "getting my hands on one first" is the usual probem here. I would have to order one, just to handle one, let alone have a few shots. Not much held in stock for handguns here.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#295052 - 10/02/17 07:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I would say, they have been made to a price, so as to compete with all the competitors for the US military job.

Are you sure about the polymer frame? I believe the website and reviews says all steel.

Quote:

FRAME SIZE
Full-Size
FRAME FINISH
Stainless Steel
FRAME MATERIAL
Stainless Steel
SLIDE FINISH
Nitron
SLIDE MATERIAL
Stainless Steel
ACCESSORY RAIL
M1913
TRIGGER
Striker

Are you sure?

SIG Sauer apecs say it is all stainless steel? Thanks for the comment though/

I wouldn't have bothered asking about it if it was some plastic pos.

Can anyone tell me about the "Striker" trigger?

As a newbie to handguns, got lots of questions. The review seems to mention the trigger being a striker a lot, and the consequences for it.

What other types of trigger are there for semi auto handguns?

The differences, advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Homer
.416 member

#295082 - 11/02/17 08:51 AM

Yes Nitro-X I'm pretty sure about the Polymer/synthetic frame.
If you look at the above images, you can see the mould line and scratches/marks on the frame.

Also, the way the frame's firing mechanism is retained and is removable (from the Frame/Grip), and also the material the Frame/Grip is made of, reminds me of my Sig, Mosquito .22LR pistol.

Regards
Homer

--------------------

Homer
.416 member

#295085 - 11/02/17 09:47 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Nitro-X, I just went for a look about, and from what I can work out, Sig have used some marketing/political speak, to give you the impression that the frame is Stainless Steel.
Further to this, Sig suggest that the "Frame is Serialised" (has a Serial Number).
This is is correct but it appears that Sig consider the Fire Control System (which is made from Stainless Steel), to be the "Frame" and it has the firearms Serial Number on it.

Given the pistol has a series of interchangeable "Grips" of different size (Large, Medium, Small. And from what I can see, made from some synthetic material but it appears, Sig deliberately make no mention of this!) to match the shooters hand (very innovative!), it would be difficult to do this, if each different sized grip had to have a serial number. So I hope I am correct with this and that this possibly answers your question John.

FYI, here's a link; https://www.sigsauer.com/edu/meet-the-p320/

Doh!
Homer

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#295107 - 11/02/17 08:06 PM

Bugger, explains the price difference.

I see from the photos, they seem to call the lower half of the frame, the "grip".

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#295108 - 11/02/17 08:08 PM

Pity the reviewer is IMO a paid tout and never mentions that ...

Quote:

Gun Review: SIG SAUER P320

Nick Leghorn
Polymer framed striker fired handguns are all the rage at the moment, but there’s always something that bugged me about them. The basis of the guns are a metal chassis, but in order to make the frame they mold the chassis into the frame itself. That always struck me as a lazy solution to the problem of integrating metal and plastic to form the firearm, and apparently the guys at SIG SAUER thought so too. Building on the earlier P250 platform, they’ve created a truly modular striker fired handgun . . .

The pistol disassembles in just a few seconds into its constituent parts, and the entire metal chassis of the gun — the serialized part that is technically the “firearm” in the eyes of the ATF — slides completely free of the frame. That chassis is also designed to fit exactly into the existing grips for the P250, meaning that there are already aftermarket parts available that will fit the 320.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Homer
.416 member

#295134 - 12/02/17 08:53 AM

Quote:

Pity the reviewer is IMO a paid tout and never mentions that ...
Quote:

Yes Nitro-X but welcome to existing and modern journalism, within the shooting sports.
To the best of my knowledge, the only exception to this, is the Australian publication, "Guns & Game"!
BTW, Guns & Game magazine, have now transferred to an on-line only publication. So no more bed time stories from G&G magazines!

Bugger!
Homer

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3954

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com