Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Small Mannlicher rifle 22 Vierling cal

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
2152hq
.300 member

Reged: 20/05/12
Loc: USA
Small Mannlicher rifle 22 Vierling cal
      #294611 - 02/02/17 01:54 AM

I picked up this small, no name engraved Mannlicher style bolt rifle in what I think is 22 Vierling caliber.
Some proofs and markings on the bottom of it's full round bbl and Crown/B,U,G proofs on the action and bolt along w/a ser#.
4 shot straightline feed magazine detachable by swinging the Mannlicher Schoenauer style floor plate to the side and simply dropping it out of the rifle.
DST, 2 leaf rear bbl sight as commonly seen on it's big brother rifles. A spring loaded 'Peep Sight' or better termed,,a diopter sight I believe at the rear that hinges away with the operation of the bolt.
Just thought it was a neat little rifle. Needs some work. I'm suspicious that the chamber may have been opened to 22 Hornet,,I'll have to do a chamber cast, ect.
The internal magazine is a replacement made from a commercial product but well adapted and fitted. The butt stock was stuffed full of lead 8mm rifle bullets in a bored out cavity to give it some xtra weight! Thats out of there now. The butt plate is a simple horn plate.

A few pics... The rifle round in the first pic is a 8x57J,,the steel ruler is a standard 6 inch.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Small Mannlicher rifle 22 Vierling cal [Re: 2152hq]
      #294618 - 02/02/17 04:50 AM

The rifle was proofed by the Zella – Mehlis poofhouse, as the word "Nitro" in script and the presence of the ledger number 113 show. The proof date is 635, June 1935, or is it 636, 1936? Rifles of this type were made for various wholesalers and retailers by the Zella –Mehlis guntrade. The actions were based on a simplified Mauser M71 design, hence the "Mauser" monicker. They were made in many sizes, from tiny ones for rimfire cartridges to giants for 12 bore "Vogelbüchsen" target rifles. But all I have seen before were single shots, as shown in the ca. 1930 Burgsmueller, Kreiensen mail order catalog:

Though neither a 5.6x35R Vierling chambering nor a full – stocked Stutzen version are mentioned by the ad, it stresses the fact these rifles being hand crafted, not mass produced. So certainly many more options were available on special order. Modell 6424 came with the tang peep sight.
IMHO the magazine was designed and added by an excellent mechanic afterwards. Most likely an one-off custom design.
Many of the pre-1940 5.6x35R Vierling rifles were chambered quite generously. They accept .22 Hornets too, at least some brands.

Vladymere
.300 member

Reged: 11/08/15
Loc: North Carolina, USA
Re: Small Mannlicher rifle 22 Vierling cal [Re: kuduae]
      #294661 - 02/02/17 02:30 PM

Very nice system Mauser.

Vlad

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2296

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com