Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR
      #294615 - 02/02/17 03:41 AM

AMAZING FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR

Posted by John McAdams
October 23, 2016

This hunter on Kodiak Island got a good lesson in shot placement when he experienced a Kodiak bear charge after wounding one with his bow.
Hunting Kodiak brown bear with archery equipment can get exciting in a hurry. Not only does this necessitate getting extremely close to a very large (and potentially dangerous) animal prior to taking the shot, but the initial shot very rarely instantly kills the bear.

Shot placement is always important when hunting, but it is even more vital in this case. Unfortunately, the hunter in this video did not place his shots well and things got very interesting as a result.

https://youtu.be/FsJLISMIPjg

As you saw, he missed the bear completely with his first shot, then wounded it with his second. Luckily, the guide bailed him out by making a good shot with his rifle at the last second and everyone walked away from the encounter unharmed.

This is a good reminder to always carry a good bear defense gun when in bear country.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/room-error...utm_campaign=sh

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR [Re: NitroX]
      #294621 - 02/02/17 05:17 AM

Yep the buzz words again!

" the guide bailed him out by making a good shot with his rifle "

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR [Re: gryphon]
      #294625 - 02/02/17 06:14 AM

I saw the first shot hit the bear in the guts, entering his right side, then after the second shot, when the bear showed his left side, the arrow, covered with blood was poking out his guts. That was not the second shot, which entered his left side, quite high. That is how I saw this video.

Very bad shooting, imho, from a hunter who should stick to guns.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR [Re: DarylS]
      #294643 - 02/02/17 08:15 AM

Fantastic Boar, excellent guide (still ranging for the client, covering bear but holding fire till he had to shot), typical client !

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR [Re: Sarg]
      #294644 - 02/02/17 08:45 AM

I agree Sarg, the guide certainly did his bit.

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR [Re: Claydog]
      #294698 - 03/02/17 01:04 PM

That was some really bad work with the bow. The only excuse for that is from adrenaline jitters, if you can't put an arrow in a 1" target at that range you should stay home.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #294700 - 03/02/17 01:24 PM

In all fairness to the hunter - I've seen guys put 5 arrows into a target back in hunting camp at 50yards with less then 3" between the furthest arrows, then refuse a 40yard shot on a huge bull moose with a 28" kill zone ("too far") because they were not sure they could make the shot - shaking, jitters, buck fever & insecurity all can mount up quickly when the time to draw and shoot comes - it happens to a lot of people. It is much better to have a hunter who will refuse the shot, than to screw it up with a poor hit.

When a fellow has $10,000 bucks on the line for a hunt and may only get that one shot, shaking jitters certainly effect a lot of people, many more than will admit it, that's for sure and that is the main reason for poor shooting by clients, in general.

The guide did a splendid job.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#294705 - 03/02/17 03:00 PM

Quote:

When a fellow has $10,000 bucks on the line for a hunt and may only get that one shot, shaking jitters certainly effect a lot of people, many more than will admit it,

That's because so many clowns are just after the bragging trophy and not there to enjoy the hunt itself.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Claydog
.375 member

#294708 - 03/02/17 04:02 PM

I have had guys out with bow and rifle that shake noticeably when it comes to lining up on a buffalo. Especially when the range is close. There is alot of pressure on. Not just financial but they also don't want to look bad in front of you and for some its the culmination of a life long dream and the excitement gets to them. No amount of range work can get them ready for it and it can happen to the best. Can mean some interesting extra work though usually ends well.

SharpsNitro
.375 member

#294709 - 03/02/17 04:17 PM

Quote:

In all fairness to the hunter - I've seen guys put 5 arrows into a target back in hunting camp at 50yards with less then 3" between the furthest arrows, then refuse a 40yard shot on a huge bull moose with a 28" kill zone ("too far") because they were not sure they could make the shot - shaking, jitters, buck fever & insecurity all can mount up quickly when the time to draw and shoot comes - it happens to a lot of people. It is much better to have a hunter who will refuse the shot, than to screw it up with a poor hit.

When a fellow has $10,000 bucks on the line for a hunt and may only get that one shot, shaking jitters certainly effect a lot of people, many more than will admit it, that's for sure and that is the mail reason for poor shooting by clients, in general.

The guide did a splendid job.

I can't argue with that, there is a strong mental dimension to something like this that often gets overlooked. This guy should have probably have passed on the shot but he got his trophy because the guide was there to back him up instead of being mauled.

DarylS
.700 member

#294748 - 04/02/17 04:48 AM

Like one (there were many) of our hunters who flubbed a 28yard shot on a moose with his bow, only to have my bro drop the critter with his Winch. .356, this bear bow hunter (even mentioned in camp, quite distastefully at that) that he evermore know who actually killed the bear.

He may get over it in time, but for now, he and everyone who saw the video knows the score. Of course the ego might not even care.

It is very much better to not shoot when 'buck fever' overtakes one's action.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #294749 - 04/02/17 05:23 AM

Agree with most of what is stated...many are out there for the ego unfortunately..see it quite a bit when traveling...when you watch them hunt, shoot, etc..you can tell a lot...

And YES, as Daryl suggested..it all comes into play..including the price of the hunt..really saw that play out recently...

As stated if a guy can't hit a target that big he shouldn't be there --IMHO..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (07/02/17 01:31 AM)

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR [Re: Ripp]
      #294837 - 06/02/17 08:48 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Wow, some great footage........ of some poor Bow shooting.
Nice pressure shot by the Guide, to finish the Bear.
What a massive animal these Brown Bear's are!

Been looking at a combined Rocky Mtn Goat, Brown Bear (etc) hunt on Kodiak Island.
After watching this video (and some of the following ones), I think a .375 H&H would be about right for the Bear?
Any advice (on Guides, Guns, Bullet Type/Weight and gear), would be very much appreciated.

Regards
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

DarylS
.700 member

Re: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR [Re: Homer]
      #294841 - 06/02/17 10:32 AM

My thoughts as well, Homer. A .375 would be my choice, or perhaps anything really from and including .338Mag. in a 2 1/2" mag. case or .35 Whelen in non-mag. cases upwards, all with good 250gr. + expensive bullets.

This would be an ugly thing to see coming.

some other pictures.

Some pictures I took while fishing. These are just little grizzlies.

Golfing in B.C.

A 9.3x62 would be Classic - 286gr. Partitions 2,400fps to 2,500fps. My .375/06IMP would work well with 270 gr. or 300gr. Premium bullets at 2,450fps to 2,600fps - Barnes TSX, Partitions, Swift A-Frame - use the Bergers on wolves or gophers. LOL
A .338 Mag. has done well for a buddy of mine who guided for many years. The 200gr. and 225gr. dropped the interior grizzlies faster than the 250's, but the 250's did more total damage & smashed bones whereas the lighter bullets were usually non-bone breaking hits. I would have a difficult time trusting the light bullets, myself, but just reporting what I was told.

Warm, waterporoof gear - GoreLeak (Goretex) is not recommended, seems to me - maybe it's better now than when I guided. Win458 would have better info for you for Alaska.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#294878 - 07/02/17 08:57 PM

Quote:

Been looking at a combined Rocky Mtn Goat, Brown Bear (etc) hunt on Kodiak Island.
After watching this video (and some of the following ones), I think a .375 H&H would be about right for the Bear?
Any advice (on Guides, Guns, Bullet Type/Weight and gear), would be very much appreciated.

Completely from the armchair for Bear, but you know the answer, .375 H&H Mag is the one world rifle. A 300 gr or a 270 gr Woodleigh will work on anything a FMJ is not needed for.

The ranging ability of the .375 is my only thought. But a .375 has a similar trajectory to a .30-06 so not too bad, using the right bullets.

Good to read the replies from the guys that actually know though.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #294895 - 08/02/17 02:09 AM

Is it normal to get within this kind of range when bow hunting brown bear on foot?
Seems like any hit will be slow to drop the bear and that's not a lot of ground for a big bear to cover.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Homer
.416 member

Re: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR [Re: Huvius]
      #294918 - 08/02/17 09:31 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Thank You for that advice and images Daryl and John, very much appreciated.

I need a lighter .375 H&H (I have a Ruger RSM 77 MkII, very nice but heavy), and any excuse for a new one eh.
Maybe a Kimber Caprivi or Talkeetna and then Cerakote it.

Huvius, I had the same thoughts.
The guide may have known that his client was a prick of a shot, so got him that close hoping that he wouldn't mess it up. D'oh!

Yes Daryl, Gore-Leak might be good for a leisurely walk to the shops, or to watch the Footy on a rainy day but, no bloody good for serious rain and or exertion on the hill!
Oil skin (Waxed Cotton) or green plastic rain coats, are better (and in the later example, a lot cheaper).

Regards
Homer

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Re: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR [Re: Huvius]
      #294922 - 08/02/17 10:15 AM

A proper double lung hit with a GOOD (non-mechanical ie:fall apart heads) broadhead should drop a grizzly fairly quickly considering the huge cut they make, however the 10 seconds or so that it lives, it can do a world or hurt on you. I've been told, although I do not know if this is true, that a grizzly's heart beats about 8 times a minute. Just how quickly do you think he'll bleed out?

I would NEVER attempt to hunt grizzlies or browns with a bow - on purpose - more of a trick I'd think, than hunting. Kinda like going after the big cats with a .243?

I would guess that most bow and arrow grizzlies, whether inland of coastal (browns) are killed by the guide and outfitter.

Black bears fine - if I had a rifleman or fellow with a shotgun (slugs) backup, however, I'd rather shoot a black bear with a .22-250 and Prem. bullet, than with a bow.

--------------------
Daryl

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #294929 - 08/02/17 02:43 PM

That heart rate of 8 is about as low as it gets in winter hibernation. It usually runs from 55-80 apparently but not as quick as a humans when the bear is stuck with an arrow and mighty pissed off!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Homer
.416 member

Re: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR [Re: gryphon]
      #294934 - 08/02/17 07:16 PM

Quote:

It usually runs from 55-80 apparently but not as quick as a humans when the bear is stuck with an arrow and mighty pissed off!

I'm still laughin Gryphon!

I'm like you Daryl, there are just some things in life, I Do Not Need To Do!

LOL!
Homer

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#294938 - 09/02/17 12:18 AM

I think of these sorts of hunts are stunts. If you NEED a guide armed with a proper rifle to ensure your bow shot doesn't get you killed, it is a stunt.

Same as in Africa for those PHs who think they need to shoot with the client on buffalo etc. The good PHs however only shoot if they really have to, and give the client all opportunity to do the job. But again if the client uses an inadequate rifle, gun, bow, and needs real backing up as a result, just a stunt.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

cordite
.333 member

Reged: 29/01/07
Loc: NW Montana
      #294947 - 09/02/17 03:06 AM

I remember my first bow kill, more than 30 years ago. I used a takedown recurve to shoot a medium sized black bear. As it ran off I still remember seeing the arrow hanging from it's side and thinking that I had gotten no penetration. Then I realized that the arrow was caught by the fetching and hanging off the opposite side. So there I was, on a backpack hunt by myself, no gun. The bear piled up a short distance away but resting off the ground on some brush. Was it dead or not? Pretty exciting stuff at the time.
A brown bear with a bow? No thanks!

Claydog
.375 member

Re: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR [Re: cordite]
      #294959 - 09/02/17 10:42 AM

My general rule of thumb for bow hunting and for any particular weapon is if you wouldn't hunt that animal with that weapon on your own with no back up then you shouldn't be using that weapon for that animal.

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Re: FOOTAGE OF A CHARGING KODIAK BEAR [Re: Claydog]
      #294974 - 09/02/17 01:39 PM

I'm not sure there is a safe way to take a bear like that with a bow without a backup shooter. 40-60 yards isn't much ground for an animal like that to cover even with a well placed shot. I'm guessing it depends on whether or not you can keep the adrenaline from releasing into the system.

458Win
.333 member

Reged: 15/12/06
Loc: Alaska
      #295358 - 16/02/17 10:34 AM

I happen to know the guide very well and he is a consummate professional.
Getting that close to bears tends to shake up a lot of clients and would be bear killers. I guided a bow hunter years ago and we closed to similiar distances on three occasions and he discovered he was unable to release an arrow due to fear - and self preservation. I have had other bow hunters since with the same issue and who chose to borrow a rifle to complete the hunt.

--------------------
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11170

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com