Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bulembi Safaris - Zimbabwe

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunt Reports

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Bulembi Safaris - Zimbabwe
      #2940 - 25/05/03 12:55 AM

Outfitter: Bulembi Safaris
PH: Wayne Jardine
Agent: None
Game sought: Plains game
Game taken: Eland, Kudu, Blue Wildebeest, Zebra, Warthog, Common Duiker, Impala
Game missed out on: Klipspringer - had a chance but couldn't take a shot, Tssessbe - took a good eland instead instead of transferring properties; Bushpig - not sighted, scarce due to very severe drought
Date: 1994
Satisfied: Yes
Recommend to other hunters: Yes - Bulembi is a reputable outfitter

I hunted with Bulembi Safaris of Zimbabwe in 1994 for plains game.

The principal of Bulembi Safaris is Butch Walker and at the time he was the President of the Zimbabwe Professional Hunters Association. The Professional Hunter was Wayne Jardine.

The hunt was in the West Nicholson area of the low veld South of Bulawayo and on three properties: Chipisi, Sondelani and the Bubiana Conservancy.

I initially was looking to hunt cape buffalo on one of Bulembi's short 5 day cape buffalo hunts, but unfortunately they were sold out on buff when I booked. Instead I hunted and took eland, kudu, zebra, impala, warthog, grey duiker and blue wildebeest. The eland was an "extra". I also hunted for klipspringer, bush pig and tsessebe. I had an opportunity at a record class klipspringer but wasn't able to get off a shot in time. Bushpig were scare due to a severe drought at the time. I elected to hunt for eland rather than transfer to an additional property to hunt tssessebe.

The hunt was for seven days (all hunting) and on the basis of a daily fee plus trophy fees. My wife accompanied me as a non-hunting guest. Accomodation was in thatched rondavels with a joint ensuite for each two rooms at the farms compound. we were the only clients present. Prices were very competitive and were partially denominated in Australian $.

Wayne Jardine, the PH did an excellent job and worked hard to achieve the results. Including (along with the trackers) going to exceptional efforts to recover one wounded wildebeest. A man with a serious sense of adventure. Knowledgable and professional. Normally a DG prof hunter, he thought this plains safari was going to be a "holiday". But I ensured his feet had blisters by the end. After all I said at the beginning, "I don't mind doing a bit of walking" and ended up paying for the comment.

At the time of my safari the property owners had also started live game capture operations using a large boma enclosure and a helicopter. While this was fun and a fantastic experience (we all got at least one flight after game skimming the tree tops herding game into the boma) I did believe it was "spooking:" the game. ie one look and they were off and no stopping. As a result Butch agreed to using a neighbouring property (Sondelani) with which Wayne had an association thereby forgoing some trophy fees. You can't ask for more.

Also hunted on the Bubiana Conservancy, a large conservancy created by the joining of at least five separate properties and dedicated (mostly) to game. I took Wildebeest and Zebra on this property. also present were some 15 Black Rhino and 15 White Rhino and some 20 plus elephant (numbers from memory). This sort of game being present certainly adds to the Big Game experience.

I can recommend Bulembi Safaris as a good value, safari outfitter with integrity. Where they had problems outside their control they attempted to fix them (and did).

Bulembi also has a safari operation in the Zambezi Valley in the Omay concession. I hope to experience this operation also one day.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  HuntReports, NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4756

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com