Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Drilling ID

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
MarkR
.333 member

Reged: 29/07/07
Loc: NW Vic. Australia
Drilling ID
      #290575 - 20/11/16 09:12 PM

Ok, so while I'm chasing info how about I ask about this Merkel(?) 12Ga X 12Ga X 7x57R which also has what I think are Keppeler rifle inserts in 22lr and 222Rem????

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: Drilling ID [Re: MarkR]
      #290577 - 20/11/16 10:33 PM

A typical GDR time Suhl standard grade drilling, marked with the "smith" tm of the VEB Ernst Thaelmann Werke, Suhl, the communist combine that marketed it's products under the Merkel, Simson, Haenel and Fortuna, or simply "Suhl" labels, depending on markets. The label really does not matter, as all these drillings were made at the same shops by the same men to the same designs. Mounted with a 1960s to 80s GDR "Carl Zeiss, Jena" so-so 4x or 6x scope. Remove foreend and take the barrels off the action. Close to the underlugs there are the GDR Suhl proofmarks, among them the proof date (number of the month and last two digits of the year).

MarkR
.333 member

Re: Drilling ID [Re: kuduae]
      #290631 - 21/11/16 06:29 PM

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #290637 - 21/11/16 08:43 PM

The drilling was proofed 1180 = November 1980. German 1980s catalogs (Kettner and Frankonia) offered them as "Suhler Drilling Modell 32 Standard". The 1Q = excellent quality mark is not related to the quality of the individual gun. It merely marks all drillings M32 as an excellent GDR product.
Those Carl Zeiss, Jena, GDR scopes are of very good optical quality. I called them "so- so" for other reasons: The elevation adjustment (front turret) is quite limited. Windage adjustment is by the two opposing screws in the rear mount foot only. The rear turret is for focussing. The laquer finish is not to western tastes and not very durable.

MarkR
.333 member

Re: Drilling ID [Re: kuduae]
      #290642 - 21/11/16 09:53 PM

Thank you very much for the info kuduae

Cheers,
Mark.

MarkR
.333 member

#291247 - 01/12/16 08:14 PM

Looks like I ended up with this......

Cheers,
Mark.

Kiwi_bloke
.333 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: New Zealand
      #291760 - 10/12/16 07:51 PM

I'm wondering if something is missing from the left barrel of the insert (in German called or Einstecklauf or just EL). You can see on the other EL the 4 adjusting screws at the muzzle. But this piece seems to be missing on the left barrel. Some EL were shorter and there are a number of different brands and designs, but the left barrel still looks odd.

The muzzle adjustable EL, however, is the best one to have because it is easier to adjust. Believe it or not, they are supposed to adjust their point of impact by bending the barrel. They are noted for accuracy, so perhaps not entirely a silly idea.

MarkR
.333 member

Re: Drilling ID [Re: Kiwi_bloke]
      #291809 - 11/12/16 08:38 PM

Quote:

I'm wondering if something is missing from the left barrel of the insert (in German called or Einstecklauf or just EL). You can see on the other EL the 4 adjusting screws at the muzzle. But this piece seems to be missing on the left barrel. Some EL were shorter and there are a number of different brands and designs, but the left barrel still looks odd.

The muzzle adjustable EL, however, is the best one to have because it is easier to adjust. Believe it or not, they are supposed to adjust their point of impact by bending the barrel. They are noted for accuracy, so perhaps not entirely a silly idea.

Nope, nothing missing. It is just a little different to the right barrel. That insert has grub screws that can regulate the barrel but need to be removed to get at them as they are on the outside of the ring.

Cheers,
Mark.

MarkR
.333 member

#293924 - 16/01/17 11:54 AM

So now it's had a bit of a clean up it looks much better... Just need to have a few shots out of her now.

If anyone in Oz is interested it will be up for sale complete with 22WMR & 222Rem barrel inserts.
Cheers
Mark.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3787

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com