Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Why is an SMLE so Fast

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Why is an SMLE so Fast [Re: lonewulf]
      #293767 - 13/01/17 07:19 PM

Quote:

Okay I'll have one more crack at this before I reluctantly cut the whole damn thing loose and watch it drift away.

Yeah. Your opinion is just that, not evidence. Everyone has an opinion.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
henry_r
.224 member

Reged: 11/11/16
Loc: nsw australia
Re: Why is an SMLE so Fast [Re: Claydog]
      #293773 - 13/01/17 10:46 PM

to bring a bit of period documentation into the equation, give the first few pages of this thread from another forum a read:

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=55506

of course all were using Sht LE's with charger bridges not metford/long lee based rifles (like most lee speeds).

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Why is an SMLE so Fast [Re: lonewulf]
      #293794 - 14/01/17 10:28 AM

Lonewulf don't get tied up between the mad minute, which is a range thing and what happened in the trenches. No body except you, for some unknown reason, mentions a stopwatch and range practice during an attack being used at Gallipoli for timing the rate of rifle fire.

I do know that the troops at Gallipoli did play sport and go swimming in the few sheltered place there were. I do know, from interviews with old diggers that black humour was alive and well and they would bet on macabre things. I.e. betting on whether a messenger would get through or at what point he would be shot. So it is quite probable they had bets on how many rounds they could get off during an attack or how many enemy they could drop, or if one could throw a mills bomb more accurately than the next bloke.

Now whether you can except it or not, they did in some way/fashion/means determine the rate of fire and more than 60 rounds a minute was recorded. How this was done I do not know but it is not opinion.

Re the Mon's, thanks for the info. I have never researched that and what you say does not surprise me.

lonewulf
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/12
Loc: South-East Otago, New Zealand
Re: Why is an SMLE so Fast [Re: Rule303]
      #293824 - 14/01/17 10:34 PM

Quote:

Lonewulf don't get tied up between the mad minute, which is a range thing and what happened in the trenches. No body except you, for some unknown reason, mentions a stopwatch and range practice during an attack being used at Gallipoli for timing the rate of rifle fire.

I do know that the troops at Gallipoli did play sport and go swimming in the few sheltered place there were. I do know, from interviews with old diggers that black humour was alive and well and they would bet on macabre things. I.e. betting on whether a messenger would get through or at what point he would be shot. So it is quite probable they had bets on how many rounds they could get off during an attack or how many enemy they could drop, or if one could throw a mills bomb more accurately than the next bloke.

Now whether you can except it or not, they did in some way/fashion/means determine the rate of fire and more than 60 rounds a minute was recorded. How this was done I do not know but it is not opinion.

Re the Mon's, thanks for the info. I have never researched that and what you say does not surprise me.

No worries bro. In the end it's a case of believe whatever you like. Unless you get really hung-up on the truth, or at least a slightly more accurate version of what is presented to us as truth, it hardly matters now. In any case, if you have an interest in the First World War and you haven't already done so, I'd suggest you have a look at John Mosier's book, The Myth of the Great War.

It makes very interesting reading although it does challenge Commonwealth folklore somewhat as does his work on the Battle of France, the Blitzkrieg Myth, which is also excellent reading.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6538

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com