Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Looking at starting a double rifle project - have questions

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
usnrigger
.224 member

Reged: 17/12/13
Loc: Trinidad, Co
Looking at starting a double rifle project - have questions
      #293231 - 06/01/17 07:17 AM

Okay, I can into a Spanish made double 12ga that barrels had been collapsed during a hunting trip. The run down of the action.

12 Gauge
Anson & Deeley Action Design
Purdey Double Underbites
Concealed Third Fastener/Secret Bite
Firing Pins are already bushed
Dovetail Lump setup
Double Trigger
Extractors

To my knowledge and from research this should be a good candidate for conversion. Good action design, 3 lockups ext.. But let me know if something bothers anyone. Barrels would be monoblocked in. I will most likely thread and solder.

- I was looking at a few calibers mainly a 470NE, But 450/400, 450 3.25" and 500NE

- Going for a very traditional English look like Westley Richards

- What should my target end weight be for a rifle in these cartridges be around? I know that's subjective but traditionally I was thinking 9.5lbs and up

- What Dia should the firing pins be on Double Rifles. Didn't know if I needed to remake the bushings and firing pins or if the original ones are able to be reused.

- I was looking at 26" barrels, is their a basic contour/profile, or is the profile that of standard sporting rifles(Douglass #4). is their a rule of thumb on bore to wall thickness(.475" + .250" = .725" @ muzzle) type thing

- I see that some are welding in cross bar close to the Hanger for the front iron, its this standard or typical.

This should be a good start of questions I have. I do have "The Book" just need to find it after my move. Will be doing more research and reading existing threads here and elsewhere. thanks for any answers you give

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: Looking at starting a double rifle project - have questions [Re: usnrigger]
      #293255 - 06/01/17 02:34 PM

My personal opinion is your target weight for the 470 nitro is a little light (unless you enjoy recoil). I am not that convinced that building a full nitro gun on a shot gun action is a great Idea even though it has been done before. But your math is correct and your are also correct about rebushing the firing pins. Like I said that is just my opinion so don't hammer me over this.

usnrigger
.224 member

Re: Looking at starting a double rifle project - have questions [Re: Wayne59]
      #293298 - 07/01/17 05:08 AM

I can agree using a action that was in the start a shotgun action may not be its intended use, but since even the early makers used primarily the same as their shotguns with some additions I see the reason that it is a viable solution vs making a new action from scratch. I only consider this action that I have a candidate as it has a 3rd lockup/bite, I would not consider a double underbite only IMO for a Nitro Express cartridge. I wish this one was bolstered for reinforcement but its a pretty beefy action considering.

As for weight, the 9.5lbs came from some of the published info I have found by searching other English made doubles in 470NE and like cartridges. I know that the English makers of the day did run a bit light, but that's pretty much a English tradition, as even their shotguns are light dainty things. I don't mind recoil, especially if it is a low pressure cartridge. I shot a custom Ruger 416 Rigby N01 and I think its 8.5lbs, and is not a problem at all. Im not one for the high pressure snappy recoil like that of 7mm mag 460wby ext... that's just a violent recoil vs the big push.

- What diameter do I need to make the new firing pins and bushings to as well as firing pin protrusion. Right now I would just go by the standard of most bolt guns an like.

- Also what is a good muzzle diameter on a Double in 470NE? I know I gave a example of .725" But didn't know what actual builds are running and the weight of those rifles?

Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
      #293322 - 07/01/17 08:00 AM

The third bite on a shotgun is just like the third barrel lug on a 98 mauser. It holds nothing unless something else fails. As far as the action goes the unless you have the metal tested it would be hard to determine the strength of the steel. Have you dismantled your action. Chances are that your firing pins are integral to your hammers witch presents a problem in itself. Recoil is subjective but your stock is not. If your using your old stock it may not stand the strain. I broke the last one that I am building and am now repairing it.

usnrigger
.224 member

Re: Looking at starting a double rifle project - have questions [Re: Wayne59]
      #293328 - 07/01/17 09:21 AM

Firing pins are not integral to the hammers, they are separate and housed in the frame, retained by the bushing and a spring.

That's very true, but with this its good to have that 3rd just in case.

Rifle will be restocked with a good piece of Turkish Walnut, and properly fit

Barrels will most likely be PacNor

Action will be Case Color Hardened and barrel Express Rust Blue.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #293358 - 07/01/17 03:45 PM

On a properly made box lock the third bite will lock up the action when fully closed, that is part of the hand fitting when filling up the action. Therefore it will assist in holding the barrels to the face upon firing and is not a safety lug like on a Mauser which does not contact anything during normal operation until there is an overload.
Only poor quality guns have clearance between the pin and the hole on the third bite.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Aaron_Little
.300 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Newark, TX
Re: Looking at starting a double rifle project - have questions [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #293807 - 14/01/17 02:06 PM

.070" firing pins will be fine, make sure they fit tightly in the bushing holes.

9 1/2lbs is very light for a .470, even by English standards. I'd strive for 10.5-11lbs.

Most of my guns will have .100" wall thickness at the muzzle and will carry that till mid barrel.

--------------------
A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044

Edited by Aaron_Little (14/01/17 02:08 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1744

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com