Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Champlin mausers

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
Champlin mausers
      #293329 - 07/01/17 10:00 AM

George Caswell has a pair of pristine Mauser Type As in .250-3000 and .404 Jeffrey for those willing to part with the money. The .250 is described as unfired and certainly looks like it. The .404 is the best example I've seen based on the photos and has the added attraction of Chas Heyer markings on the barrel. The high condition might be a deterrent to those who want to shoot the guns, but they sure are lovely.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
Re: Champlin mausers [Re: mckinney]
      #293332 - 07/01/17 11:42 AM

Prices are a little high, but how often do Sporters in this condition hit the market. A well heeled collector will snap them up.

mckinney
.400 member

Re: Champlin mausers [Re: dons]
      #293364 - 07/01/17 06:32 PM

I agree and wish it could be me! Dons, if you were looking to get back into collecting, this would be a fine place to start:)

Maybe focus on pristine Type A's only?

Seriously, these are wonderful rifles with a very solid place in history. I think they are more desirable than the G&Hs, Hoffmans etc built on Mauser actions. The original Type As and original Rigbys are top of the class in my humble opinion.

Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
      #293368 - 07/01/17 07:14 PM

I was there on the 27th, must have missed seeing them. Dang! Many nice things at Champlins..many..many nice things..

--------------------

Gundog01
.333 member

Reged: 16/05/15
Loc: Ohio usa
Re: Champlin mausers [Re: Ash]
      #293390 - 08/01/17 01:51 AM

Man I am glad I have gotten a few untouched model A's from Speeds book! I would never ask those prices if I were to sell, even though they are mint, appears high.

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Champlin mausers [Re: Gundog01]
      #293408 - 08/01/17 04:58 AM

Prices do seem on the high side but it looks like classic bolt guns are gaining value while doubles and singles are a bit soft right now.
I probably went the wrong way in my collecting, value wise, by selling off bolt actions and buying more singles and doubles but I just enjoy them more than the bolt guns.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Champlin mausers [Re: Huvius]
      #293414 - 08/01/17 06:06 AM

Quote:

Prices do seem on the high side but it looks like classic bolt guns are gaining value while doubles and singles are a bit soft right now.
I probably went the wrong way in my collecting, value wise, by selling off bolt actions and buying more singles and doubles but I just enjoy them more than the bolt guns.

THEN you made the right decision...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

mckinney
.400 member

Re: Champlin mausers [Re: Ripp]
      #293496 - 09/01/17 01:18 AM

The prices are stout, but the only other Type A in .250 Savage I have ever seen was in a GB or GA listing in about 2005. That gun was also mint and was priced at $8.5K. It may have been the same gun. I figure the vast majority of .250 Savages came to the US at a time when they cost 3 or 4 times the price of a Winchester 54 or 70 (both of which are also scarce in this caliber). For this one to be in the shape it is, it must have spent its life in the U.S.

Huvius, I've also made many collecting mistakes - i have some pristine, desirable pieces; some that would be desirable if they were pristine, some that are pristine but modified, etc. and not a double rifle in the bunch. I've also bought too many auction guns.

I suppose the best approach is to buy the really desirable classic stuff as and when it appears, from people like Hallowell, Caswell, and Schwandt or when you're lucky enough to stumble across it. The really good stuff appears so rarely that a collector can afford it if he buys nothing else. I've bought too much something else:)

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #293498 - 09/01/17 02:02 AM

Quote:

...I've bought too much something else:)

Me too!
I do have some very nice rifles but none that I would be scared to take out and use.
At this point, none of my children are particularly excited by classic firearms so, unless I am really pining for something different and need money, their increase or decrease in value is of little concern.

I guess I can understand that prices of super high condition Oberndorf Mausers are high but they aint Gibbs Farquharsons or Alex Henrys!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Champlin mausers [Re: Huvius]
      #293522 - 09/01/17 09:27 AM

Those Bollingers caught my eye.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 88 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2584

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com