Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lee-Speed MAGAZINE Thread

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Roy
.300 member

Reged: 06/09/15
Loc: New Mexico
Lee-Speed MAGAZINE Thread
      #293519 - 09/01/17 09:12 AM

Hi Gents,

I can be somewhat of an 'Anarak' at times, as a collector by nature I find myself studying various details, often with no purpose other than to understand and educate myself. So today with a little too much time on my hands I thought I would take a closer look at my Lee-Speed magazines and do somewhat of a photo project. With that in mind I thought I would start this thread dedicated specifically to Lee-Speed magazines in order to share my few examples but also so members can share their own examples and any experiences or knowledge they may have.

It's interesting how many subtle variations one can find. Aside from calibre (all these are .303) and size (five or 10) there is finish, engraving, chain attachment etc, etc.

With one exception (Mag C) I believe all examples are original to the rifle they came with.

Cheerio,

Roy

--------------------
My Website: www.wilkinsonfscollection.com

http://wilkinsonfscollection.com/wilkinsonfscollection.com/The_Lee-Speed_Rifle.html

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LesLeeSpeed
.300 member

Reged: 14/11/13
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Lee-Speed MAGAZINE Thread [Re: Roy]
      #293555 - 09/01/17 09:25 PM

Hi Roy,
I suspect that the variation, particularly with the shortened 5 shot mags is due to each maker cutting down a standard 10 shot magazine and then putting their own finishing touches on them. As far as the 10 round mags are concerned, over the time frame that Commercial Lee Speeds were available, there were quite a few modifications to the standard 10 round mag.
Just my thoughts. I have cut a military mag and turned it into a 5 shot myself to use in my BSA Sporter that came with a 10 shot one.
LesLeeSpeed.

Edited by LesLeeSpeed (09/01/17 09:26 PM)

Strathcona
.224 member

Reged: 02/03/17
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Lee-Speed MAGAZINE Thread [Re: LesLeeSpeed]
      #296604 - 09/03/17 02:53 AM

I was talking to some guys about the different types of Enfield mags this past weekend.

The guys told me that the re-enforced mag lips as seen in your mag D and E was an approved retrofit. With his in mind it would help to date those two particular ones.

Do any of your mags bear and stampings?

I found this interesting thread here regarding enfield magazines...lots of info!

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?341473-weird-magazine-for-Enfield

Edited by Strathcona (09/03/17 03:27 AM)

Roy
.300 member

Reged: 06/09/15
Loc: New Mexico
Re: Lee-Speed MAGAZINE Thread [Re: Strathcona]
      #296611 - 09/03/17 05:14 AM

Hi Strathcona,

Thank you for the link to that magazine thread. Very interesting and as you say lots of information.

All of my magazines have no markings tamped at all. Despite them being both engraved, plane, five, ten round, not one has a marking anywhere.

It is certainly a much larger topic than I first anticipated.

Cheers,

Roy

--------------------
My Website: www.wilkinsonfscollection.com

http://wilkinsonfscollection.com/wilkinsonfscollection.com/The_Lee-Speed_Rifle.html

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2079

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com