Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Fruits of the Field

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
The Fruits of the Field
      #2932 - 24/05/03 01:45 PM

After a prolonged period of dry weather, realistically probably since the winter of 2001 - winter of 2002 being almost a non-event - we have some reasonable rains in the last week or two. Hope they keep up over the next three weeks.

While riding my four wheel motorbike through a paddock yesterday afternoon what do I find? Dozens and dozens of mushrooms everywhere! The right combination of short grass - mowed regularly by the paddock lice (sheep), moisture, regularly crapping on top of - by the sheep , and leftover spores from whom knows whenever. Plus warmth and sunshine to bring them up plus cold frosty nights (yes Ann it has been getting done to to 10 deg C some nights - brrrrrrr ).

So forget about work for the rest of the afternoon. I'm going mushrooming. Haven't seen them for a long time.

One of the delights of the wild fields - wild mushrooms.

Now the perfect accompaniment would be a freshly shot conny or two. May have to look for them tonight.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: The Fruits of the Field [Re: NitroX]
      #2956 - 25/05/03 10:34 AM

Ah yes one of the delights of country living--fresh mushies cooked up with butter and some flour for thickening spread over thick bread toast---yum,lots of memories provoked by the pics Nitro.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
      #2972 - 25/05/03 11:05 PM

Ah yesss, nothing can be better than pan fried mushrooms. Amazing what some stuff growing from poop will do for us! Glad to see you have such a bounty. You must thank your sheep too.

It's mushroom season here too, the Morels are upon us. I should have photographed the one I found a couple days ago. They don't have a traditional cap mushroom look to them.

In the fall, late August through September we get giant puff balls.

I do not harvest many species as so many of them are poisonous. I only take the ones I know cannot be anything else and that would be Morels and puff balls.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

ovis
.300 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Homer, Alaska
      #2975 - 26/05/03 04:00 AM

Guys,

We are blessed here in Alaska with a tremendous variety
of wild foods also. Our season is just getting underway.
Last weekend, we had our biggest clam tides of the year so many of us had, razor clams, steamers, and butter clams fresh from our favorite spots. Friday night was the opening of the king salmon season in our river so now it'll be hot smoked king steaks smothered in morel mushroom with a side salad of dandelion greens mixed with fiddleheads and some leaf lettuce(cheated and bought the lettuce). Good stuff.

Joe

--------------------
"Where there's a hobble, there's hope."

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: The Fruits of the Field [Re: ovis]
      #2980 - 26/05/03 10:32 AM

yep clams eh! on the beaches here in places we can dig up 50 clams in a few minutes(2 inches deep) and boy are they sweet-i love `em raw or cooked do`sent matter to me,i have had many good feeds of oysters from the rocks around where i work too,delicious!Morel mushies command an enormous price here in Oz-- i have never had one.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Fruits of the Field [Re: gryphon]
      #2985 - 26/05/03 04:46 PM

Mushrooms

If anyone can post any photographs of edible mushrooms it would be appreciated (or email them to me).

My knowledge of what is edible is very limited and basically limited to the one species. There are numerous others though not so plentiful plus toadstools etc. But I want to learn what others are edible can they can be eaten as well. I am wary though of applying knowledge from one continent to another as who knows if what is safe in the USA is edible in Australia or Europe etc ie looks could be deceiving. But if anyone else knows otherwise please speak up.

When I visited Italy it is self evident that the Italians are fanatical about mushrooms, and will pass on secret spots from father to son on their death beds. Some harvesters will leave home before dawn so that their neighbours do not find their spots in the forests. When I stayed at a hunting estate on top of a mountain North of Florence and shot a couple pheasants, some of their wonderful dishes included mushrooms and they had a large poster of some 30 or more mushroom types on the wall.

PS I have just finished lunch (yes I know a late one - having had a fight with my stags - well they were fighting and needed sorting out before I lost the genes of a good one). Lunch was a yellow Thai curry but with wild Barossa mushrooms added. The mushroom flavour is so strong it overpowers the yellow curry and also makes the sauce somewhat grey. In the past have always added shop bought mushrooms which are nice but nowhere near these.

Delicious .

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#2986 - 26/05/03 04:57 PM

Talking about digging for clams. One joy of the Southern Ocean and no doubt many other places is digging or catching blue swimmer crabs.

I have not done this for a long time but either you go out in daylight in low tide and look for crabby spots and use a point on your meshed fork to dig them out. Or more productive is to go out at higher tide with a spotlight or water light on a pole and try to catch them swimming in the water. Into the meshed fork and up into a bucket or tub floating behind you.

Connecting the spotlight to the 12v battery in the salt water and disconnecting is also always fun too.

Cooking is very simple. Boiling salted water. Drop the blue crabs in, when they are red out they come and break them open to eat. They can also be cooked in chilli stir fries etc which penetrates the shell.

The place I used to go crabbing is near an army artillery testing range. They fire the shells in the tidal flats and then examine or recover the shells from the mud. Some adventurous souls even go crabbing there but it is a high security area.

Must go blue swmmer crabbing again one day soon.

PS Why talk about all this on a HUNTING forum. Well I regard the fruits of the wild as part of hunting. Mushrooms and duck and rabbit or hare or venison. Crabs or fish or berries. Ultimately all hunting should revolve around eating the game we take even if we primary hunt for a trophy.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Wello3021
.224 member

Reged: 25/05/03
Loc: Australia
      #2997 - 27/05/03 06:05 AM

G'day all,
As for cooking fruits of the forest, my better half decided to cook up my favourite dish last night (seeing as we have a bit of deer meat lying around). Venison, bacon, mushroom, onion and redwine pie. Puff pastry outer, served with spuds and fresh garden vegies. And of course a glass or three of good high country merlot, bloody brilliant!

Sometimes its great to eat and drink too much!

Edited by Wello3021 (27/05/03 06:06 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Fruits of the Field [Re: Wello3021]
      #68156 - 28/12/06 12:10 AM

Christmas thread random spinner.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#76772 - 17/04/07 02:43 PM

Quote:

Plus warmth and sunshine to bring them up plus cold frosty nights (yes Ann it has been getting done to to 10 deg C some nights - brrrrrrr ).

All we need now is some moisture and we should have them again. Will check anyway tommorrow.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3122

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com