Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Velodog revolvers

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Velodog revolvers
      #29319 - 11/04/05 08:36 PM

Another one for you, wharf!

After what seemed like a lifetime of passing up junk, I finally managed to locate a GOOD example of a velodog revolver for my collection. By contrast the second one, acquired just last year, virtually fell into my lap! Here's a pic of the pair:

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the velodog, some explanation is required. In the late nineteenth century, the well-to-do in Britain and Europe took to recreational cycling with a vengeance. The motor-car had not yet appeared, and the bicycle offered easy mobility without the logistic nightmare of owning horse-stables. The parks and evenues of London and Paris were literally crowded with cyclists, the ladies resplendent in long frocks, and the gentlemen in their waist-coats and top-hats.

There was only one problem: the streets were infested with stray dogs! The dogs would invariably chase the cyclists, barking and snapping as dogs do, and sometimes bite them on the ankles. With the ever-present threat of rabies, this was indeed a serious situation. In line with the pragmatism of the day, it was a simple matter to develop a line of pocket-handguns for the sole purpose of 'discouraging' stray dogs while cycling. The 'velodog' revolver came into being!

Typically, the velodog genre is characterised by small size, slab profile, enclosed hammer, folding trigger, and a safety-catch: all essential requirements for quick-accessibility from the waist-coat pocket while riding a velocipede.

Most were chambered for the 5.5 mm Velodog cartridge, and indeed the smaller of the two revolvers pictured is so-chambered. The cartridge is centrefire, but about the same size as a .22 Magnum Rimfire cartridge. Here's a comparison of the size: .22 LR on the left, .22 Magnum in the centre, and 5.5 Velodog on the right.

The primer takes up almost the whole of the cartridge base!

Imagine pulling one of these things out of your vest-pocket while plying the cycle-tracks of Melbourne or Canberra, and blasting away at stray dogs in passing!

Those were the days!!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wharf
.300 member

Reged: 02/08/04
Loc: aust
Re: Velodog revolvers [Re: Marrakai]
      #33783 - 24/06/05 04:36 PM

You have just shown me what one of the bullets in my colection is.I have had this round thats so close to 22mag but has a big primer in it for awhile now.No one could tell me what it was.Nice little peices mate.I will post a pic of the cartridge.

--------------------
if it bleeds we can kill it.

Edited by wharf (24/06/05 04:40 PM)

Dan1
.224 member

Reged: 14/02/07
Loc: Arizona usa
      #71951 - 20/02/07 12:21 AM

Have a velomith with a well worn holster and various shells. Found it in france back in 1965. Super condition. Fold down trigger. Will forward pix to any interested parties.

Double_Trouble
.375 member

Reged: 27/04/06
Loc: Canada
      #72164 - 21/02/07 11:38 PM

Marakai:
I have only just read this post and I know that this reply is more than a little dated, but I must say that the history you provided here I find facsinating and that the examples you posted are, as usual, very interesting.

thanks for sharing the information!

DT

--------------------
Double Trouble,
Speak not of what you do not know.
Listen up when it's time to.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11668

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com