Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New Lee Speed Sporter Calibre!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

Reged: 13/12/06
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
New Lee Speed Sporter Calibre!
      #293075 - 03/01/17 01:38 PM

Well, sort of.

I have been thinking about doing this, or more correctly, having it done, for a number of years, assuming (and you know what happens when you A-S-S-U-M-E something, right?) I could find someone having the proper equipment, but more importantly, the requisite skill, to perform the necessary work to complete my desired end result. "THIS" being a bush-capable (bush friendly may be more apropos) semi-stopping rifle built on the LEE SPEED platform. While the .375 Flanged Nitro Express 2 1/2" was the largest chambering encountered in B.S.A.Co.'s original offerings, I have found that chambering wanting, at least in my James Burrow Farquharson.

As a result, I started thinking about what cartridge, new, old, or yet-to-be-invented, would satisfy my need. After an exhaustive review of C.O.T.W., Fred Datig's 4-volume set, Volume 3 of George Hoyem's History and Development of Small Arms Ammunition, Mr. Fleming's British Sporting Rifle Cartridges, as well as Mr. Dixon's European Sporting Cartridges, Volumes 1 & 2, I came to the realization both that there was no existing British cartridge I could use and that I would be better off starting with the basic brass for which the action had been designed and going from there. I also came to the realization that because the .375 bore size left something to be desired and I could neither increase the diameter of the brass, or the length of the finished cartridge, at least without attempting to make a Magnum Lee as Mr. Mauser had done with his Model of 1898, I was left with only 1 dimension to play with; that being bullet diameter.

Not wanting to come up with a completely new calibre, my fevered brain came up with the idea of having either a .420 Flanged Nitro Express 2 1/2" (aka .444 Marlin, but using normal weight [ie. 350-400 grain] bullets), or a .430 Flanged Nitro Express 2 1/2" (aka .40/70 Sharps Straight 2 1/2", again utilizing projectiles of a sufficient mass to have a "decent" Sectional Density). In either case though, I had to ensure that, once seated with the correct bullet, to an OAL sufficient to allow reliable feeding from a magazine, the cartridge would work. So much for the design phase.

After what seemed like a very long time, and in reality was, I finally came across a wizard with a Lathe / milling machine who is a LEE fanatic, and further, likes to trade parts for work, so.........

Recipe follows:

Ingredients:
1 Long Lee action
1 Sporter fish-belly magazine
1 Mauser Model 1871/84 barrel
1 spare set Sporter stock set
1 spare B.S.A.Co. H.V.S.R. Cape sight
1 used muzzle-loader barrel band front sling swivel eye
1 used Husqvarna caterpillar ramp front ramp sight
1 new flip-up night bead

Directions:
Remove sewer pipe barrel from Long Lee Receiver;

Save said barrel for use in a future .375 Flanged N.E. 2 1/2" project, on the off chance that I get tired of that calibre in my Farquharson chambered in that calibre;

Shorten chamber end of said Mauser barrel to eliminate that part of the chamber measuring > 0.446" to allow the use of Magtech .410 brass cases to be utilized in the project;

Thread / clock the barrel for 1" x 14 N.S. so that the barrel's top lines up with the receiver's top;

Use a boring bar, or other magical machinist wand, to chamber said barrel for the aforementioned Magtech brass;

Mill the extractor cut;

Shorten front end of said Mauser barrel and crown it at a useful length of 22";

Polish the barrel;

Fit barrel band front sling swivel eye;

Fit the Husqvarna caterpillar ramp front ramp sight, having a flip-up night bead;

Fit the aforementioned B.S.A.Co. cape sight;

Start the design process for an Accurate Moulds 5 cavity aluminium mould having the following design characteristics:

Bore-Riding, Tangent Ogive, Round Nose, Flat Point (70% meplat), Gas-check, Tumble-lube bullet, with an OAL of ~1.00", a nose length of ~0.500", resulting in a ~400 grain bullet (S.D. of 0.286, which is less than my design range of 0.300-0.335, but which I am incapable of designing for a LEE receiver, unless the bullet is seated VERY deeply, thereby reducing, to a dramatic extent, the combustion chamber);

And WAIT......., which is where I currently find myself.

Once photobucket has decided to, once again, allow me access, I shall post photos of the parts and, more importantly, the work thus far....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: New Lee Speed Sporter Calibre! [Re: Old_rifle_nut]
      #293076 - 03/01/17 02:24 PM

Maybe I missed something but witch one of these merical cartridges did you decide on.

Old_rifle_nut
.300 member

Reged: 13/12/06
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Re: New Lee Speed Sporter Calibre! [Re: Wayne59]
      #293452 - 08/01/17 10:49 AM

A .43 calibre (from the M1871/84 Mauser barrel) using .410 Magtech brass cases.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1386

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com