Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Made a New Butt plate or The Story of a Broken Butt

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
TexasJohn
.300 member

Reged: 06/04/10
Loc: Texas
Made a New Butt plate or The Story of a Broken Butt
      #292964 - 01/01/17 02:24 PM

I recently aquired another ZG 47. It had a broken butt plate which I knew about when I made the purchase. Since I have not been able to find an original replacement, today I made one. This was my second attempt at creating a mold and I learned a lot about what I did wrong. I will probably make another attempt and perhaps it will be acceptable. Here is the broken one and the poor replacement I made today. At least it has a butt plate and it fits the original holes.

John

--------------------
John

"In the Texas Oilfield, everything that does not kill me today, gets another chance tomorrow."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LesLeeSpeed
.300 member

Reged: 14/11/13
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: Made a New Butt plate or The Story of a Broken Butt [Re: TexasJohn]
      #292966 - 01/01/17 02:35 PM

Hi John,
What did you use to cast it? It's a good first attempt. I have a little Mauser 22 with the same problem, not quite as badly broken as yours, but broken none the less. I wouldn't mind having a go at something similar. I have another that I could use as a model to make the mold.
Could you talk us through your process.
Happy New Year
LesLeeSpeed

TexasJohn
.300 member

Re: Made a New Butt plate or The Story of a Broken Butt [Re: LesLeeSpeed]
      #292981 - 01/01/17 11:13 PM

Les,
I used a plastic casting resin called EasyFlo 60 ($22.50 pint) because it is thin as water and has some flex when cured. I do not like the color. I used their liquid dye to make it black. I think I will try some waste toner from a copy machine to color the next try. I wanted to use Plastic Epoxy as it has a very shiny finish; however it is also very brittle when cured and is thick to pour into a mold. I used the waste toner to color the epoxy in the past and it works fine. If the butt plat has a flat side next to the stock, you could cast it in a open top mold and let gravity smooth it out. The ZG 47 has a curved butt plate and I could not sort that out without using a closed mold. I used Silicone and blue Dawn dish soap to make the mold.There are a number of videos on YouTube showing how to do this process. Use plenty of Dawn as it is the catalyst. I used about 48 OZ of ice water and about 8 OZ of Dawn liquid. This was probably too much Dawn, but if you use too little you will have to work the silicone longer and it may cure very slowly. None of the videos I watched gave a ratio, but one guy did not use very much and had poor results. I glued the butt plate to a magnet which I stuck to the base plate of the mold form I made. My first one was square and I ended up with a mold that looked like a small loaf of bread. After I cast the Silicone around it, it cured in a couple of hours. I then cut the original butt plate (from another ZG 47) out with a razor knife using zigzag cuts to create registers in the mold. I did consider making a two piece mold, but this was easier. Some things I learned:

I used Pam cooking oil on the butt plate as a release agent, car wax would work also as I used it on the mold. I am not sure you need it, but better safe than sorry.

When adding Silicone material into the mold you will create small "seams" between the layers which will show in the casting.To prevent this you must stir the material as it is added to the mold in order to mix it better. It would be best to add as much to the mold form as possible as one piece. I will use a round mold form next time, fill it will the treated Silicone, stir and then push the pattern butt plate into it rather than putting some into the mold, adding the pattern and then more silicone. I will hot glue the pattern onto a small dowel rod and then push it down it the material end first.The dowel will make the port to pour plastic into the mold.

Pour your casting resin in as small a stream as possible to prevent trapping air bubbles. The Epoxy will be a challenge in this regard. I used .95 Oz of material to make the first plate and had a small amount left over. I think .75 to .80 OZ will do it. I used my digital reloading scale to get accurate weights converting grains to ounces.

John

--------------------
John

"In the Texas Oilfield, everything that does not kill me today, gets another chance tomorrow."

TexasJohn
.300 member

Re: Update [Re: TexasJohn]
      #292985 - 02/01/17 12:12 AM

I cast another in the same mold using the waste toner as a coloring agent. .80 OZ of material was perfect. This casing is identical to the first one and will be discarded. I turned out gray using 5 Grains of the waste toner as color. I need to add more waste toner or use the dye provided by the resin folks. Today I will make a new mold - hopefully it will not have all the defects that the first one had.

John

--------------------
John

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
      #292991 - 02/01/17 03:05 AM

Why dont you make new one from buffalo horn ? Itīs very nice material to work with and colour is nice too. By the way, I have repaired quite similar butt plate with Acraglass, it has good pigment for colouring too.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Edited by Igorrock (02/01/17 03:56 AM)

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Update [Re: Igorrock]
      #293003 - 02/01/17 08:39 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Most impressive and well done Texas John!

Now, is there any chance of you sharing with us Brno fans, some images of your new ZG47?
Please.

Best Wishes for 2017!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

TexasJohn
.300 member

Re: Update [Re: Homer]
      #293013 - 02/01/17 10:20 AM

Homer,
I refer to this place as the "Texas Brno Trust". You rarely see the ZG 47s together as they are more like Daggaboys rather than herd animals. However, he is a shot of the small herd. I do not see as many with the checkpiece stock as the others.

John

--------------------
John

Homer
.416 member

#293015 - 02/01/17 11:16 AM

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts x 3!

Thank You for sharing that image John/Texas Brno Trust.
They all look to be in excellent condition, you are a Very Lucky Man!

Regards
Homer

--------------------

TexasJohn
.300 member

Re: Update [Re: Homer]
      #293049 - 03/01/17 05:06 AM

Well, here is the third try next to the original butt plate used for the pattern. I have learned a lot and the 4th try would be even better. I don't think I will go for #4, rather I will use the time to make a pattern for a Brno Model 1 butt plate as I could use a couple and I should have one with a nice original that is fairly large. Wish me luck.

Texas Brno Trust.

--------------------
John

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #293051 - 03/01/17 05:27 AM

Quote:

Homer,
I refer to this place as the "Texas Brno Trust". You rarely see the ZG 47s together as they are more like Daggaboys rather than herd animals. However, he is a shot of the small herd. I do not see as many with the checkpiece stock as the others.

John

SPECIAL!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #293061 - 03/01/17 08:15 AM

Quote:

Well, here is the third try next to the original butt plate used for the pattern. I have learned a lot and the 4th try would be even better. I don't think I will go for #4, rather I will use the time to make a pattern for a Brno Model 1 butt plate as I could use a couple and I should have one with a nice original that is fairly large. Wish me luck.

Texas Brno Trust.

Pity they didn't turn out so well TJ.
They would look good on a rifle that shows some "experience".
I wonder when filling your mould that you have it on something that vibrates gently like a electric razor to settle all the epoxy & get rid of any bubbles in the mixture?
Fingers crossed for No4!
By the way, I have to agree with Homer....nice pieces of kit you have there - what calibres?
93x64mm

TexasJohn
.300 member

Re: Update [Re: 93x64mm]
      #293063 - 03/01/17 08:29 AM

Two are in 30-06 and the rifle with the cheekpiece is a 8X64
TJ

--------------------
John

TexasJohn
.300 member

Re: New Butt Plate for Brno ZG 47 [Re: TexasJohn]
      #294040 - 19/01/17 07:52 AM

I finally gave up on home made molding materials and bought some proper mold silicone. Pattern butt plate is on the right and my last attempt is on the left. The rifle was nice enough that I wanted an original butt plate. This is very close.

--------------------
John

Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
      #294044 - 19/01/17 08:51 AM

That is excellent

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #294050 - 19/01/17 11:40 AM

Great work, looks very nice !

Thank you for posting this for us !

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: New Butt Plate for Brno ZG 47 [Re: Sarg]
      #294058 - 19/01/17 06:31 PM

Got it nailed TJ
And only a few minor marks to make it look the part - sweet job matey!

Homer
.416 member

Re: New Butt Plate for Brno ZG 47 [Re: 93x64mm]
      #294070 - 20/01/17 09:28 AM

Most impressive Texas John.
I can't tell the difference between them.

Doh!
Homer

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3076

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com