Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: QUEBEC 2 close Caribou hunting after 2017

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
QUEBEC 2 close Caribou hunting after 2017
      #292664 - 28/12/16 03:50 AM

An email I got from a booking agent today
thx
Ripp

EMERGENCY NOTICE: QUEBEC HAS ANNOUNCED IT WILL CLOSE ALL CARIBOU HUNTING AFTER THE 2017 SEASON- BOOK NOW!
We have been warning our 60,000 hunting clients for the last 6 or 8 years, that caribou populations were precipitously declining- and to get their 'bou hunting done. Please take heed! For 2017 in Quebec we suspect you will only have a single tag for one trophy, but possibly they will allow a second non-trophy 'bou- no one knows at present. But we do know 2017 is the last time for many years that you will be allowed to take a caribou. That will also trigger events on other species of caribou as well.

We believe that this drastic Quebec ban, will cause all other caribou hunts to jump prices and sell out very fast. So book those caribou hunts now in Alaska, Newfoundland, Manitoba, and across northern Canada. We are advising clients to get deposits in asap to lock in slots and pricing!! This will get world wide publicity over the next week or so- you are now at the head of the line!

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: QUEBEC 2 close Caribou hunting after 2017 [Re: Ripp]
      #292673 - 28/12/16 05:44 AM

Interesting.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: QUEBEC 2 close Caribou hunting after 2017 [Re: DarylS]
      #292675 - 28/12/16 06:18 AM

The speculation of a clamp down on the Quebec "meat run" has been brewing for a few years now. For the past 4 years we hear from the outfitters that the caribou "are in our area" and they are thick as flies so hurry up and book NOW!

For us, it's a 24 hour plus drive over treacherous winter roads only to find that over the last 4 years our arrival in camp revealed that the outfitters "expanded upon the truth" and the caribou had actually migrated through a month before the season opener on December 1st, and only by luck of the draw did some manage to pick off a few stragglers, with the rest of the herds several hundred kilometres to the west and well outside of the legal hunting zone.

Last year we spent our week looking at a desolate wasteland of snow and sparse trees in minus 30 degree weather. On the drive out, we left at 3am, and by mid day and well beyond the legal hunting area, we finally ran into so many caribou we had to drive extremely slowly and carefully to avoid hitting them on the roads. At one point I stopped the truck so my buddy could get out to take a leak and a caribou bull running along the guard rail damn near ran into him. He had to jump into the truck and slam the door to avoid being run down or skewered by the antlers.

I should also point out that we as non Quebec residents are limited to a specific hunting zone that does not apply to resident Quebec hunters. The Quebecers and the Indians do not have such restrictions as do we non residents. It makes one feel that our money is good enough to take but that's where it stops. The outfitters generally seem to act like a pump and dump shady stock salesman "come and get it before it's too late"!!!! Hurry hurry, buy now!!!. I suppose I can't blame them for the aggressive marketing because some have a considerable pile of dough tied up in their remote bush camps and need the hunter's outfitter fees in order to survive.

This year, we refused to go. The price had increased dramatically and the tags were cut back from 2 animals down to one. It was an option to get a second tag, but the tags were limited and frightfully expensive.

Travelling/hunting to/in areas outside of Quebec in the north west end of the continent has never been inexpensive so I don't believe the cancellation of the Quebec hunt will have a great deal of bearing on the demand for those hunts. Most folks going to Quebec were looking for a great and cost effective hunt with the reward of some wonderful tasty caribou steak. It was never so much about big racks and trophy hunting. The really big racked caribou come from the west.

For those unfamiliar with the area's biology, there are two main herds. One herd (George River) has seen dramatic decline in numbers and has not been huntable for a few years now. The other herd has held to numbers around 500,000 animals although it too has been in decline. It is not known whether the decline is a natural population cycle or whether it is habitat loss related.

Edited by Postman (28/12/16 06:57 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: QUEBEC 2 close Caribou hunting after 2017 [Re: Postman]
      #292680 - 28/12/16 08:23 AM

Quote:

The speculation of a clamp down on the Quebec "meat run" has been brewing for a few years now. For the past 4 years we hear from the outfitters that the caribou "are in our area" and they are thick as flies so hurry up and book NOW!

For us, it's a 24 hour plus drive over treacherous winter roads only to find that over the last 4 years our arrival in camp revealed that the outfitters "expanded upon the truth" and the caribou had actually migrated through a month before the season opener on December 1st, and only by luck of the draw did some manage to pick off a few stragglers, with the rest of the herds several hundred kilometres to the west and well outside of the legal hunting zone.

Last year we spent our week looking at a desolate wasteland of snow and sparse trees in minus 30 degree weather. On the drive out, we left at 3am, and by mid day and well beyond the legal hunting area, we finally ran into so many caribou we had to drive extremely slowly and carefully to avoid hitting them on the roads. At one point I stopped the truck so my buddy could get out to take a leak and a caribou bull running along the guard rail damn near ran into him. He had to jump into the truck and slam the door to avoid being run down or skewered by the antlers.

I should also point out that we as non Quebec residents are limited to a specific hunting zone that does not apply to resident Quebec hunters. The Quebecers and the Indians do not have such restrictions as do we non residents. It makes one feel that our money is good enough to take but that's where it stops. The outfitters generally seem to act like a pump and dump shady stock salesman "come and get it before it's too late"!!!! Hurry hurry, buy now!!!. I suppose I can't blame them for the aggressive marketing because some have a considerable pile of dough tied up in their remote bush camps and need the hunter's outfitter fees in order to survive.

This year, we refused to go. The price had increased dramatically and the tags were cut back from 2 animals down to one. It was an option to get a second tag, but the tags were limited and frightfully expensive.

Travelling/hunting to/in areas outside of Quebec in the north west end of the continent has never been inexpensive so I don't believe the cancellation of the Quebec hunt will have a great deal of bearing on the demand for those hunts. Most folks going to Quebec were looking for a great and cost effective hunt with the reward of some wonderful tasty caribou steak. It was never so much about big racks and trophy hunting. The really big racked caribou come from the west.

For those unfamiliar with the area's biology, there are two main herds. One herd (George River) has seen dramatic decline in numbers and has not been huntable for a few years now. The other herd has held to numbers around 500,000 animals although it too has been in decline. It is not known whether the decline is a natural population cycle or whether it is habitat loss related.

The beauty of posting topics on this forum is usually SOMEONE knows the "rest of the story"...really interesting and thank you for your info and knowledge...

The Mulchatna herds have had a similar thing happen..gone from hero to zero ...when I hunted up there in 2001 I literally saw herds numbering in the 4-600 range coming through a couple times a day for the short time I was there..now a non-resident has not been able to get a tag for quite some time..but heard that may change..was told they basically ate themselves out of house and home along with disease issues..decimated the herd..or so I was told..I am sure there are those on here with more info ..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (28/12/16 11:57 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1188

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com