Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Question re: Wehrmanns Gewehr Proofs

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Forum Photos & Archive

Pages: 1
drhall762
.224 member

Reged: 22/06/16
Loc: Ammon, NC
Question re: Wehrmanns Gewehr Proofs
      #292500 - 24/12/16 11:01 AM

I just bought one. It is an interesting rifle. As soon as I can I'll post some pictures.

The barrel markings start with a large "N" on the first line, followed by "BLG" on the second, "SCH" on the third and "H" on the fourth. These are all capital letters but about half the size of the "N".
On the side is the marking 8.15x46R NORM. I think the BLG means Lead Bullets and the SCH is smokeless powder but I won't promise that is true. Other than that I am clueless.

The receiver is interesting as it appears to be a 1909 Argentine. No crest but on the side rail it has "Waffenfabrik Mauser - Oberndorf A/N" and a second line "Modello 1909."
The only marking on the top of the receiver ring is "MAUSER ORIGINAL" in all capital letters.

Bolt face and extractor are modified and it has a straight bolt.

No import stamp.

On the right rear side of the butt stock is an emblem, maybe brass, shape like a shield and about as big as a quarter with a target and under it the annotation "Meister 1937."

Any idea where to look to decrypt any of the barrel letters or what the badge is I'd appreciate.

Thanks and Merry Christmas all.

--------------------
Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society.
Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
thirdbite
.224 member

Reged: 30/04/16
Loc: kansas, USA
Re: Question re: Wehrmanns Gewehr Proofs [Re: drhall762]
      #292502 - 24/12/16 11:26 AM

I'm no expert, but I think all Arg. 1909 Mausers were mfg. by DWM. There was a Modelo 1909 Peruvian mfg. at Oberndorf, but I believe it was an intermediate action, large ring, small bbl. thread with a longer front ring and had the high clip hump and long cocking piece. The ring was marked Republica de Peru and Original Mauser. I've read of a small number of Oberndorf 8.15x46 target rifles, but I believe they were made in the 1930's and obviously weren't marked Modelo 1909.

Edited by thirdbite (24/12/16 11:46 AM)

drhall762
.224 member

Re: Question re: Wehrmanns Gewehr Proofs [Re: thirdbite]
      #292504 - 24/12/16 12:12 PM

Might be Peruvian. Without a crest Argentine was my first guess but I think you are correct on DWM manufacture of the Argentine. Also that answers the Original Mauser question. It has the high clip hump so I'd guess the crest was scrubbed.

The plot thickens. I know that the models with the "roller coaster" rear sight were very common after WWI but where a 1909 rifle would show up is beyond me unless it wasn't delivered. I simply don't have the depth of knowledge to know that.

Research here I come.

--------------------
Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

thirdbite
.224 member

Reged: 30/04/16
Loc: kansas, USA
      #292506 - 24/12/16 12:54 PM

Does it have a long curved arm on the ejector box? The Oberndorf, high clip hump, modelo 1909 and Original Mauser marking, I think, are pretty determinative of a Peruvian. Is the front receiver ring longer than a regular large ring Mauser? If so, then I think the only Mauser that has all those characteristics was the 1909 Peruvian. I would think it would have been difficult if not impossible to remove the crest without either messing up the Original Mauser marking or ending up with a front ring that wasn't the same diameter its entire length. I've never read of any that remained in Germany and weren't delivered, but I suppose anything is possible although if it didn't have the crest I don't understand why it would have the Modelo 1909 marking.

drhall762
.224 member

Re: Question re: Wehrmanns Gewehr Proofs [Re: thirdbite]
      #292507 - 24/12/16 01:09 PM

It's a Peruvian for sure. Long front receiver ring and I compared the "Mauser Original" on it to a Peruvian. Perfect match. The barrel is a proper six groove target barrel so the mystery continues. Should be a ball to shoot though. Purchase included a unused set of RCBS 8.15x46R dies. Form the brass from .30 WCF and Buffalo Arms has the stop ring bullets. I've added a couple of pictures of the markings I am interested in researching.

Edited by drhall762 (26/12/16 02:01 AM)

drhall762
.224 member

#292579 - 26/12/16 02:02 AM

Couldn't get the pictures here but they are one above. Guess I need to watch the buttons more carefully.

--------------------
Dave

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #292580 - 26/12/16 03:02 AM

N = Nitro
BLG = Bleigeschoss = lead bullet
SCH H = Schuetzenhuelse = standard target shooting case
8.15x46R Norm repeats this. Probably added later in America, a German would have marked 8,15x46R.
NORM = normalized, case shape and dimensions as standardized in 1909.
Take the rifle apart and post all the markings under the barrel.These may show the proofhouse and proof date, maybe barrel dimensions and rifling twist too.
Meister 1937 = owner won an unidentified, local?, championship in 1937.

drhall762
.224 member

Re: Question re: Wehrmanns Gewehr Proofs [Re: kuduae]
      #292607 - 26/12/16 11:13 AM

And the initials are solved. Thank you!

Now, any idea how it got built om a Peruvian Model 1909?

I will get on getting photos of the rest.

Again, thank you.

--------------------
Dave

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #293029 - 02/01/17 05:53 PM

Quote:

Now, any idea how it got built om a Peruvian Model 1909?

something little was not right and so it was not accepted in quality control
because it was a fine rifle otherwise they build a wehrmann rifle from this and sold it on the free market.

gun making firms try to get the best out of any gun they made because the stuff in the scrap box cost money too.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3019

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com