Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Recommendations on a Semi-auto shotgun or pump

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Recommendations on a Semi-auto shotgun or pump
      #292000 - 15/12/16 01:27 AM

Hi guys,

I am in the market for a new shotgun. Either a semi auto or pump action shotgun.

While largely banned in Australia, I do have a C class licence for primary producer purposes which should allow me to acquire a semi-auto/pump action shotgun and a .22 RF semi auto. One of each. Unless they get mean to me and give me a hard time ie the police.

My father has a Mossberg pump action shotgun still, and one reason I have a C class licence so I can legally use it. However since retiring and requiring firearms to be in a safe, his firearms have been stored in a safe in a moist location and have been ridiculously rusty.

I had planned to acquire all of his firearms. Luckily the two S/S shotguns, I had loan of for a while and oiled well in. I must get them off him before they rust hopelessly as well. The Lithgow .22 is now awefully pitted. The Mossberg is bright red and when trying to take the barrel out last time, I had to pull so hard it flew out of my hands and flew a good 10 feet. Fortunately the only damage was to knock some rust off ...

I had thought of rubbing all the rust off, and painting the shotgun green instead. Cutting off the barrel. It has one of those aweful combi chokes on it which gives useless patterns. And having new briley choke tubes fitted.

Now I am not sure if it is worth it, other than perhaps to make the shotgun sellable for a couple of hundred or ...

Long story.

So what do you guys recommend?

I prefer a semi auto. Barrel not to long. With removable choke tubes.

Ideally to be used with shot for pest destruction of birds on the farm, but also with large shot and slugs should it be legally possible one day.

Did consider an Adler lever action, but they are quite crappy shotguns in my opinion, with sloppy actions. The advantage of the 5 shot Adler being they are currently category A and relatively easy to acquire. Might be Cat B soon, and similar to centrefire rifles, need additional justification to own. C class is harder but I already have the licence category. The 7 shot Adler will be D class and impossible to own by 99.99% of firearms licensees ( ie only pofessional shooters). Currently the way it looks as being, unless our hopeless pollies change their minds again to make it even worse.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (15/12/16 02:01 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Recommendations on a Semi-auto shotgun or pump [Re: NitroX]
      #292001 - 15/12/16 01:48 AM

I can only go by what I saw in Argentina last year...at those bird farms they literally have hundreds of thousands of rounds go through them by hunters who come there and shoot birds for a week straight...Berretta and Benelli seem to be the shotguns of choice for the place I was at...was told the same by anther farm previously ..with a slight nod given to the Berretta..

I have a good friend I hunt pheasants with ..he never takes care of his guns..just shoots them..he has a Benelli in 20 gauge --it has never faild to fire with it being well over 10-12 years old..rides around in his vehicle with no case...but goes bang everytime he pulls the trigger..for semi auto that is what I would choose...

Found this on the web as well..

http://hunting.about.com/od/toppicks/tp/tp_autoshotguns.htm

Having said all that..I do have a Mossberg model 500 pistol grip, short barrel I carry when in Griz country sometimes...or pack with me in my auto when going camping or to a city...works well for both 2 and 4 legged intruders...

Also have several of the infamous Remington 870's, doubles and over/unders...but for semi-'s I would go with the two I mentioned above.

thx

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (15/12/16 01:54 AM)

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Recommendations on a Semi-auto shotgun or pump [Re: Ripp]
      #292011 - 15/12/16 03:39 AM

I have a semi, a Benelli Legacy in 20 gauge. I like it a tremendous amount and yes, it goes bang every time. I find the Beretta stock dimensions don't fit me as well. Their comb is too high for me and clips my cheek bone mercilessly. Either make will provide stellar service and will not disappoint.

The Remington 1100 is known for its ability to go bang and the design has been around for a very long time. I had one circa 1973 and it was fantastically reliable. A really good and cheap bang about gun is the Remington 870 pump gun. I have a newer Marine magnum that was very stiff when new but has broken in nicely. Remington's are however now well known for erratic QC and build quality in spite of their pragmatic and functional design. Winchesters are another low end option that have worked well over the years.

In summary, I'd go with Ripp's recommendation and stick with Benelli or Beretta. The Beretta is a gas gun so the recoil will be less than the inertia driven Benelli. Which fits you better? Either one will provide stellar service. Twice as expensive in North America as the Remington 1100, but IMHO, it is a premium that is well worth every penny.

Will_F
.224 member

Reged: 05/01/15
Loc: Louisiana
Re: Recommendations on a Semi-auto shotgun or pump [Re: Postman]
      #292016 - 15/12/16 06:15 AM

Beretta. If buying a used gun get a 300 or 391. If buying a new one get the A400. Don't waste your money on anything else!

Will_F
.224 member

Reged: 05/01/15
Loc: Louisiana
      #292017 - 15/12/16 06:25 AM

Beretta- If buying a used gun look at A300 or 391. If looking at a new one go for the A400. If you buy something else buy two so you will have a spare. I have a A300 I bought new in 1982 with 15,000+ rounds and never a problem and a A400 Excel Multitarget 3 months old with around 3000 round and never a problem.

Will Favre

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Recommendations on a Semi-auto shotgun or pump [Re: Will_F]
      #292025 - 15/12/16 08:05 AM

Isn't that new Military gun the Benelli - about $2,000.00? - with no rise in recoil.
It's the only semiauto as fast as, or faster than a pump gun - that is properly handled, that it.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Bwana338
.224 member

Reged: 31/08/10
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Recommendations on a Semi-auto shotgun or pump [Re: DarylS]
      #292049 - 15/12/16 12:30 PM

Remington 1100, all the way . We've had them on the farms for more than 40 yrs . They were the first semi auto shotgun that was gas operated and designed to be reliable . We handed in one during buy back which Dad also used in competition target shooting . It was made in 1950's , it would have had well over 100,000 rounds , he bought it secondhand from another comp shooter in 1970 . They will happily fire a 9 shell followed by a slug because of their gas system . Easy to strip and clean . Two pins hold the trigger cassette , pull out cocking handle and bolt comes out . The mag cap is easily unscrewed to change barrels . I can't think of ever having a jam or failure loading a cartridge . If possible see if you can get a 3" chambered one . The 11/87 Remington is also a reliable shotgun , I've never owned one but my neighbor has one , we shoot together a lot , I've used it on his property , never had a problem . 1100 Remington was used in Vietnam by SeALs , there was also a full auto version specifically made for the military . To give you an idea of how much the recoil is reduced , none of my 1100's have recoil pads just the plastic butt cover , they also point and swing well for controlling 28 parrots in flight .
If you have spare cash a Bennelli, Berreta are also reliable .

elvas
.275 member

Reged: 18/04/06
Loc: Thessaloniki, GREECE
Re: Recommendations on a Semi-auto shotgun or pump [Re: Bwana338]
      #292214 - 18/12/16 08:05 AM

You can't go wrong with Benelli.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Recommendations on a Semi-auto shotgun or pump [Re: elvas]
      #292251 - 19/12/16 01:51 AM

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2016/03/81039/#beretta-1301-tactical

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: Recommendations on a Semi-auto shotgun or pump [Re: Ripp]
      #292295 - 19/12/16 02:31 PM

As nice as that is some how I cant see the Aussi gov allowing that into the country. I thought about recommending the new AK 12ga with the 25rd drum.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Recommendations on a Semi-auto shotgun or pump [Re: Wayne59]
      #292940 - 01/01/17 07:17 AM

I think if I was going for a new semi-auto, I would look at a Beretta first, in sporting configuration.

BUT as Dad has the Mossberg, I think removing all the rust, cutting the combi choke monstrosity off it, getting a exchangeable choke (Briley?) fitted to it, if still possible, and reblueing or just painting it green (!!!) might be what I will do in the first place. Even if over capitalising on possible one day resale value, will cost me less, and the pump action worked fast and well. Has a five shot magazine, so will still be C class legal under the new BS laws. And effective for the purpose I will own it for.

Later if I decide differently it could be disposed of, and something else replace it.

Need to get it transferred to my licence first and relatively quickly. New regulations might be in, in three or so months time.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #292958 - 01/01/17 11:14 AM

Benelli M4? Short barreled and a very soft shooter with the Argo gas system and very reliable in my experience. The normal Benelli inertia autos are susceptible to the dreaded "Benelli Click" if the bolt gets jostled.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Recommendations on a Semi-auto shotgun or pump [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #292962 - 01/01/17 12:09 PM

Still like my 835 Mossy - with 2 barrels, both chambered for 3 1/2" cases, 24" rifled and 28" with screw-in chokes.
Since they put dual rails on them, they are as dependable as the 1990's REM870's.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2673

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com