Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Brno 45-120 Double Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Mauser416
.300 member

Reged: 20/06/07
Loc: Corpus Christi, Texas
Brno 45-120 Double Rifle
      #291945 - 14/12/16 06:47 AM

This project started out several years ago in the days before Sabatti. Don’t get me wrong, I still like my Sabatti 450-400 but I liked the idea of a DR in 45-120 for various reasons and decided to find someone to make a conversion for me.

My first attempt was based on a Cz Bobwhite 12 ga. This didn’t turn out too well. This debacle was chronicled on AR several years back. I still believe that Cal et. al. were instrumental in bringing that incident to resolution in my favor.

This latest endeavor started with a Brno ZP-149. I liked the gun because 1. It was a Brno 2. It was a sidelock 3. It had a chopper lump barrels and 4. It has double triggers. I picked it up for a good price in part due to the Frankenstein stock cobbled together by the previous owner. I wish I had a photo but I do not. There were some other issues along the way that had to be worked through. Internally the workings were gunked up with some black crud. The springs for the ejector had been removed rendering the gun extractor only. These among other things.

So here is the gun as delivered.

A closer view of the mount integral to the top rib. Notice the stop in front of the lead mount. This is to prevent the scope from sliding forward under recoil. Nice metal-wood fit up as well.

Nikon Monarch African 1-4x20mm with R4G reticle and Talley rings

Here is the gun broken open. You can see the scope mount stop and the express sight.

The fore end release and front sling mount

The hidden third bite and breech

Another example of the metal-wood fit up. I like the Cz logo

Fore grip checkering. This takes more patience than I’ll every have

Fore arm and checkering. The original fore arm wasn’t bad except that it was a beaver tail and I prefer a splinter forearm.

Here’s the front sight with fiber optic insert. I had worn glasses since third grade due to astigmatism. I had Lasik done when I hit 30. Great eyesight after that. Then 40 came along and the need for reading glasses. The bright red sure comes in handy.

The internals of the fore end

The custom made extended trigger guard and new grip cap.

Nice pattern in the butt stock. This was one of his plain pieces of wood!

The original monoblock and fore arm hanger

The water table with Cz stamp

A couple of rounds in the chamber

Balance point with the scope mounted

Balance without the scope

Here’s the gun with some ammo I just loaded the other day. I notices that I mixed up the jacketed ammo. On the left is a 405 gr. Prvi Partizan RN and a 350 gr. Hornady RN. The center two are 405 gr. Cast Performance with gas checks and then on the right is another set of Prvi Partizan and Hornady. You can see the soft lead tips better. For comparison there is a 100 Rand note and a 6.5 x55 with 140 gr.

I plan on shooting it here soon now that the weather is cooperating and since I have caught up with my “chores” around the house. I plan to get some practice in with the gun and work up some alternative loads. The gun was regulated with Speer 350 gr. bullets which are all but non-existent right now. I’m hoping the 350 gr Hornady’s work well. Same with the Prvi Partizan. I’m hoping to get a load which shoots well. I’m also thinking about some powder coated 405 gr. From Missouri Bullets.

--------------------
There is nothing worse in this world than an enslaved man who naively believes himself free, except, perhaps, trying to explain to that same man his predicament.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Brno 45-120 Double Rifle [Re: Mauser416]
      #291949 - 14/12/16 07:44 AM

Well, well. Looking pretty good. Thanks for all the pictures.

As to loads, the 350 Hornady probably isn't as tough as the extra-thick (.063")jacketed Speer 350, but should work well on elk and everything else. The Hornady was a super bullet on moose here in BC, although I only shot 2 with it, I was impressed with the penetration I got. I drove them at almost 2,300fps - actual 2,295fps, impacts 90 and 95 yards.

That 405gr. looks good, but that's a lot of dark (soft?) lead showing. The Remington 405gr. is a VERY accurate bullet, but is quite soft and shouldn't be run over about 1,850fps - bit slow for the .45 3 1/4".

The Barnes original style 400gr. Spitzer (.032" - .049" if you can find them) might be a bullet worth pursuing.

Well done!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Mauser416
.300 member

Re: Brno 45-120 Double Rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #291963 - 14/12/16 11:32 AM

Thanks Daryl.

It seems that all of the .458 400/405 gr. have dried up for the most part. I did find the Prvi Partizan. I think Woodleighs are still available.

Eric

--------------------
There is nothing worse in this world than an enslaved man who naively believes himself free, except, perhaps, trying to explain to that same man his predicament.

Nojden
.275 member

Reged: 07/01/15
Loc: Sweden
Re: Brno 45-120 Double Rifle [Re: Mauser416]
      #293746 - 13/01/17 09:26 AM

North fork 350 gr is another option. Quite long bullets though, but those shells seem to have quite some capacity
Nice gun by the way

Edited by Nojden (13/01/17 09:27 AM)

Mauser416
.300 member

Re: Brno 45-120 Double Rifle [Re: Nojden]
      #294928 - 08/02/17 01:42 PM

Thank you Nojden. Bob Hynden is the man responsible for creating this gun. I am glad that he was able to hear positive remarks about his work before he passed in early January.

I have considered Northfork and will work with them in the future. I guess it is nice to have a cheap bullet to plunk with but that only works if the cheap bullet is available.

Eric

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4387

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com