Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New Home defense/car carry fun gun.. :)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
New Home defense/car carry fun gun.. :)
      #291865 - 13/12/16 02:41 AM

While waiting for appropriate tax stamp forms to get approved, got to take a peek at the AR I ordered when I first became aware Daniel Defense was making these..as it has a permanently attached suppressor, even though the barrel is 10" or there about, I do NOT need a short rifle permit..with the suppressor it is 16"...

Rifle is in 300 Blackout..have shot one of these before with the sub-sonic loads..amazingly quiet...then you have the higher velocity loads that are still moderately quiet with the long suppressor...

Putting a Trijicon MRO red dot on it..should work for all types of vermin..2 or 4 legged..

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=MRO

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: New Home defense/car carry fun gun.. :) [Re: Ripp]
      #291917 - 13/12/16 12:27 PM

Very nice! I have one of their Mk18 SBRs and like it a lot. For even quieter shooting with subs you may want to look into the JP Enterprises silent capture spring system, it eliminates the spring noise in the buffer tube.

I should get my stamp back any day now on my lower that I had converted, it's going to be the home for my 8.5" 300BO upper. I've got the option to run my Silencerco Omega9k on it for maximum compactness or my 30cal can for max sound suppression. One of my holiday chores is to load up a batch of 1000 cases, half will be supers using the Hornady 125gr SST and the other half will be subs using the 220gr Sierra ProHunter.

Edit: Forgot to add. I'm running an MRO on my Mk18, nice sight. Be sure to get the new Trijicon cover for it.

Edited by SharpsNitro (13/12/16 12:30 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

Re: New Home defense/car carry fun gun.. :) [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #291920 - 13/12/16 01:08 PM

I was told about the MRO from one of the law enforcement guys I train with...he has it on his service AR in his auto..said he really likes it..so I got one as well..

Not sure if you saw this but interesting on the 300BO..

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/ultimate-300-aac-blackout-ammo-test/

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #291978 - 14/12/16 11:01 PM

Cool! Ripp showed me some photos by PM some time ago, and it is very annoying we can't have toys like this here in "Oz".

I think Ripp is now fully prepared for the Zombie apocalypse (or Muzzie apocalypse ) with a zombie non sound attracting rifle report and a semi auto with large (evil) magazine capacity for zombie herd attacks. From the ammo link, Ripp can even get black ammo with glow in the dark radioactive tipped bullets!

Great stuff Ripp.

When you first showed it to me, I did some research and you can even get a spare 5.56 barrel for it to swap with it. Very versatile. And handy. And also useful if the shit does ever hit the fan oneday and 5.56 ammo may be more available.

A general question. On movies SF guys are often shown shooting M4 or ARs (or whatever) with suppressors and no rifle report. Now I know the "magic" of Hollywood means a full supersonic 5.56 has no report if shot through a suppressor but ... in real life ... what sort of round would real SF guys use if they want no supersonic crack?

Ripp,

Are you going to hunt with it as well? The 200 to 220 gr projectiles look like they would work at closer ranges.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: New Home defense/car carry fun gun.. :) [Re: NitroX]
      #291979 - 14/12/16 11:07 PM

Ripp,

Can I use your photos on some facebook pages and groups? Such as the SFF Party pages and some other groups to show what people in a free country can own. And what a good honest and trusted citizen can own, and be trusted to use in a responsible and legal manner? Thanks.

PS No reference to you personally on the fb posts will be used.

NE is members only, so posts here are somewhat private, but anything on the net can be accessed.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: New Home defense/car carry fun gun.. :) [Re: NitroX]
      #291990 - 15/12/16 12:24 AM

Quote:

Ripp,

Can I use your photos on some facebook pages and groups? Such as the SFF Party pages and some other groups to show what people in a free country can own. And what a good honest and trusted citizen can own, and be trusted to use in a responsible and legal manner? Thanks.

PS No reference to you personally on the fb posts will be used.

NE is members only, so posts here are somewhat private, but anything on the net can be accessed.

PM sent..

Ripp

--------------------

SharpsNitro
.375 member

#292056 - 15/12/16 01:11 PM

John,

Shooting suppressed is a revelation. It's certainly not what is depicted by Hollywood but it's really nice. The elimination of the muzzle blast is the best part about it. The only time you will hit Hollywood levels of suppression is with subsonic ammo in a manual action (bolt, lever or break). The autoloaders can still generate a lot of noise (at least from the shooters perspective) due to the action. Check out YouTube for examples.

Some people look at the noise level measurements for suppressors and choose to forgo hearing protection but I find that to be stupid. The crack of the shock wave on supers is hard on your hearing and the maesurement method is misleading as it's based on averaging instead of actual peak levels. Anyway, I always use hearing protection on supers and usually for subs if shooting an autoloader.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #292058 - 15/12/16 02:17 PM

An Usi with suppressed sub-sonic- just the bolt clicking and impact sounds.
It was amazing.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #292074 - 15/12/16 04:38 PM

That should be fun to play with. I do envy you blokes in the US...................Mind you If I lived over there I would probably be divorced due to my collection.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: New Home defense/car carry fun gun.. :) [Re: Rule303]
      #292077 - 15/12/16 05:39 PM

I agree - would like playing with such a weird little beast.

AR's are restricted, here, must be registered to the owner - & might be soon prohibited, so all the legally registered restricted ones which are solely used by law abiding citizens for 3-gun competition & only at approved ranges, will be confiscated for destruction without remuneration.

I fully expect some time in the next 3 years, my Model 1876 Winchester will become restricted due to it's 11 round capacity.

The Federal "Minister of Sport", says AR's and M1's HAVE to be REGISTERED because you can hide one up your sleeve!!!!!!

So registering them, that piece of paper, kept in a file, prevents them from being able to being hidden up your sleeve? THAT in a nut-shell is the LIBERAL F--KING goverment!

Sorry, Ripp - bit intoxicated and got carried away - ummmmm - you would not believe how many times I had to correct spelling mistakes in this post.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#292097 - 16/12/16 01:11 AM

Quote:

John,

Shooting suppressed is a revelation. It's certainly not what is depicted by Hollywood but it's really nice. The elimination of the muzzle blast is the best part about it. The only time you will hit Hollywood levels of suppression is with subsonic ammo in a manual action (bolt, lever or break). The autoloaders can still generate a lot of noise (at least from the shooters perspective) due to the action. Check out YouTube for examples.

Some people look at the noise level measurements for suppressors and choose to forgo hearing protection but I find that to be stupid. The crack of the shock wave on supers is hard on your hearing and the maesurement method is misleading as it's based on averaging instead of actual peak levels. Anyway, I always use hearing protection on supers and usually for subs if shooting an autoloader.

I have had the pleasure of shooting both semi and full auto suppressed firearms..and yes, they are a joy to shoot...as you stated, with the subsonic loads, can be amazingly quiet but NOT like the movies...

I consider this to be a really fun project to play with and get good at using, practicing 3 gun type scenarios and general target practice..or shooting at coyotes and pigs out of a helicopter..

Believe in a skirmish, would make an excellent 2 legged predator stopper...sub-sonic or not...
++++++++++++++++

quote]I agree - would like playing with such a weird little beast.
Sorry, Ripp - bit intoxicated and got carried away - ummmmm - you would not believe how many times I had to correct spelling mistakes in this post.

Well Daryl, at least you are trying...

Holiday Cheer???

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (16/12/16 01:13 AM)

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #292127 - 16/12/16 10:42 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!
Nice one Ripp, thank you for sharing.

As mentioned above, when suppressing a self loader (Rifle, Pistol or Seedgun), you still get a reasonable amount of ejection "port pressure" blast (depending on Sub or Super-Sonic load). This is the price you play, for having a immediate back up round available.
Fixed breach actions obviously don't have this situation but you don't have that immediate back up round capability either...

My personal preference, would be for an AR-15 platform (quick twist barrel) but chambered in 7.62x39.
To my way of thinking, this would give me the best of both worlds.

Merry Christmas all.
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Edited by Homer (16/12/16 08:51 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

Re: New Home defense/car carry fun gun.. :) [Re: Homer]
      #292142 - 16/12/16 11:33 PM

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!
Nice one Ripp, thank you for sharing.

As mentioned above, when suppressing a self loader (Rifle, Pistol or Seedgun), you still get a reasonable amount of ejection "port pressure" blast (depending on Sub or Super-Sonic load). This is the price you play, for having a immediate back up round available.
Fixed breach actions obviously don't have this situation but you don't have that immediate back up round capability either...

My personal preference, would be for an AR-15 platform (quick twist barrel) but chambered in 7.62x39.
To my way of thinking, this would give me the best of both worlds.

Merry Christmas all.
Homer

I may or may not have one or two AR-10's in the .308 caliber..and yes they are fun...however for my preference I will take the 5.56 or 300Blackout...much lighter to carry and maneuver ... as much as 2-3 lbs difference or more in overall weight...

Here is a good article on the two I had found previously..

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2015/11/18/762x39-vs-300-blackout/

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (17/12/16 03:20 AM)

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #292286 - 19/12/16 12:27 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Ripp, thank you for that link, it is an informative read.
I have to agree, when all the details in this article are taken into consideration, the .300 BO is probably the best option.
The situation with magazines (physical size and capacity) and other things like ammo etc, create obvious problems with the 7.62x39, in rifles that were never originally designed to feed this ammo.

Merry Christmas
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Re: New Home defense/car carry fun gun.. :) [Re: Homer]
      #292291 - 19/12/16 01:23 PM

I've had really good success with my DTA using the factory .308 barrel, it's 16" with a 1:8" twist rate. Shooting the 200gr Lapua subsonic bullets I get low sub-MOA accuracy and the sound signature of a pellet gun when suppressed. Loads use Trail Boss powder.

DarylS
.700 member

#292297 - 19/12/16 03:55 PM

That's certainly something to look at for a suppressed rifle - Trail Boss - it's been quite quiet in every rifle I've tried it - all over speed of sound, of course - but in comparison - quite low sound report.

--------------------
Daryl

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #292301 - 19/12/16 07:16 PM

I would love an AR-prefer gas piston to direct impingement- in 6.8SPC and 308, however for home defense the 300BO is the winner I would think. Lack of noise, very soft heavy for cal projectile would help stop offender quick and less chance of over penetration.

Why gas piston, well the two most reliable military weapons the AK and SLR (FAL) are piston. The fact that Piston requires less effort in cleaning has got nothing to do with it, nothing to do with it.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: New Home defense/car carry fun gun.. :) [Re: Rule303]
      #292319 - 20/12/16 05:16 AM

Home defense for me means 12 gauge short rifled barrel with #1 to #4 buckshot - or a Wagasashi, or Katana.

--------------------
Daryl

Rockdoc
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: New Home defense/car carry fun gun.. :) [Re: DarylS]
      #292329 - 20/12/16 08:47 AM

Wonder how the Speer 130gr JHP's would go in that?

They are awesome in my sons .308. Would they open up at low speeds? They have such a big cavity.

Would have to move to New Zealand to legally own one. No permit required for the noise moderator. Nice place too...

Edited by Rockdoc (20/12/16 08:48 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

Re: New Home defense/car carry fun gun.. :) [Re: Rockdoc]
      #292339 - 20/12/16 01:43 PM

Quote:

Wonder how the Speer 130gr JHP's would go in that?

They are awesome in my sons .308. Would they open up at low speeds? They have such a big cavity.

Would have to move to New Zealand to legally own one. No permit required for the noise moderator. Nice place too...

Pretty sure at a estimated velocity of 2000 + and the large cavity, they would do pretty well on opening up...if I ever have a chance to load some up I will let you know..

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#293146 - 05/01/17 01:17 AM

NOT sure why the pics went away so I am reposting them... just because I can...:)

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (05/01/17 11:18 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3697

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com