Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Elk enjoying the winter after hunting season...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Elk enjoying the winter after hunting season...
      #291716 - 10/12/16 01:31 AM

Buddy of mine took these a couple days ago off the highway..glad to see there are some nice boys left for next year...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Elk enjoying the winter after hunting season... [Re: Ripp]
      #291731 - 10/12/16 05:32 AM

Thats a real sight for us Aussies Ripp.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Elk enjoying the winter after hunting season... [Re: gryphon]
      #291734 - 10/12/16 06:56 AM

Some good 6's there, Ripp. Nice to see.

I just got word there is a quiet and VERY effective wolf cull going on just North of here to protect 2 very sensitive caribou herds.
They've been using choppers and have a few 0's behind the number already. The Caribou are doing great and the whole area is starting to see increased #'s moose, elk and deer again.

It was so bad in one Northern community, the wolves were actually entering town and people warned not to let their kids walk after dark or alone at any time.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Elk enjoying the winter after hunting season... [Re: DarylS]
      #291746 - 10/12/16 01:13 PM

Quote:

Some good 6's there, Ripp. Nice to see.

I just got word there is a quiet and VERY effective wolf cull going on just North of here to protect 2 very sensitive caribou herds.
They've been using choppers and have a few 0's behind the number already. The Caribou are doing great and the whole area is starting to see increased #'s moose, elk and deer again.

It was so bad in one Northern community, the wolves were actually entering town and people warned not to let their kids walk after dark or alone at any time.

That is good to hear...I plan to do the same to the east of where I live... ssshhhhhh...don't tell anyone..

Choppers work very effectively here on the big numbers of coyotes the fish and game take out from time to time...amazing how many they can get in one pass through a canyon and/or river bottom..

Actually between myself and one of my friends we have 8 wolf tags..plan to go over in a week or so and see if they are still around..

Hope they keep up the good work up North...

Ripp

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #291751 - 10/12/16 02:21 PM

Seen some Elk when in Canada near Banff about 5 years ago while on holidays, just wandering around as casual as can be; must have been used to the tourists I guess!
Is a lovely thing to see game in good numbers despite hunting, just means that the powers that be have the numbers right for culling & normal attrition - keep them photos coming mate, make us envious over here in Oz!

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Elk enjoying the winter after hunting season... [Re: 93x64mm]
      #291769 - 10/12/16 11:48 PM

Quote:

Seen some Elk when in Canada near Banff about 5 years ago while on holidays, just wandering around as casual as can be; must have been used to the tourists I guess!
Is a lovely thing to see game in good numbers despite hunting, just means that the powers that be have the numbers right for culling & normal attrition - keep them photos coming mate, make us envious over here in Oz!

Right now elk numbers in Montana are very high..almost at all time record highs with the exception of wolf areas where they are at an almost all time low... the area I hunt has 2 shoulder seasons in an attempt to get the elk numbers down..normal season was over the last weekend in November..another season carries on until mid-February..which I don't agree with ..think it is way to hard on the herd as a whole..cows are pregnant so there are a lot of aborted fetuses and a lot of wounded game..hunting is getting more and more difficult this time of year as the snow keeps coming and the temps are low..people start pushing their shooting ranges, etc..so not a fan of the late shoulder season...

There is also an earlier shoulder season that started in mid August..which messes up archery season a bit as it opens 2 weeks later..elk are a bit wound up by then with all the shooting going on..but at least the cows haven't been bred yet..and the temps are not -10 to -20F for the game to scratch out a living in...

Yes if you ever were to go to Yellowstone National Park it would be similar..you can drive right by bison, elk and mule deer without them giving you much of a notice...

I will keep them coming as they become available to me..

Ripp

--------------------

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #291800 - 11/12/16 11:50 AM

A few weeks ago I saw about a third of the local heard hanging out in a field on the way home from work. There were some very nice bulls, the group was about 200 strong.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Elk enjoying the winter after hunting season... [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #291982 - 14/12/16 11:21 PM

What a sight to see while just driving around and looking out to the fields.

So are they easier to find AFTER the hunting season closes? Like wild ducks here, who become much tamer and less wary after the season closes, as if they know it has ended.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Elk enjoying the winter after hunting season... [Re: NitroX]
      #291993 - 15/12/16 12:48 AM

Quote:

What a sight to see while just driving around and looking out to the fields.

So are they easier to find AFTER the hunting season closes? Like wild ducks here, who become much tamer and less wary after the season closes, as if they know it has ended.

Depends on the area..

I make a weekly drive from Bozeman MT to West Yellowstone, MT--about 90 miles one way... I have a satellite office there...during that drive I go through about 28 miles of Yellowstone National Park...since the wolves were re-introduced there are NO cows or calves in there anymore..but bulls hang out in there..I assume they feel safer with their antlers used to fend them off somewhat..anyway, it is not uncommon to see 40-60 bull elk in that area..have counted as many as 82...

On my way back I come back up through mostly private land..and its much flatter..during January through April it is not uncommon to see herds of elk numbering 500 to 1500 in a herd ..amazing sight to see..

This time of year, just south of town about 2 miles is a herd hanging out on a private ranch..about 150 or so...

YES, if there is no more hunting going on they do settle down and realize they are no longer in danger...in the area I bow hunt in they are using shoulder seasons as there are too many elk..so huting with rifle is allowed from August 15th to Feb 15th...Long time to chase the animals--I don't like it as it has a lot of peripheral damage to the herd as well as those being shot...

Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1470

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com