Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Delorme Satelite Texting Device....

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Delorme Satelite Texting Device....
      #291178 - 01/12/16 04:14 AM

Just wanted to report on my last trip I was using a Delorme satellite messaging device to keep in contact with my family and friends..

http://delorme.com/

There is also an article on this device in this month Petersons Hunting along with 2 others...

Was very impressed with the performance..while there I sent texts to my family and friends which gave them not only my message but also they could google map and see exactly where I was hunting...pretty cool feature ..that can be not used as well if you wish..

Finally, should the proverbial "shit-hit-the-fan" ..there is a SOS button for that as well.. which goes direct to their 24hour service..should an emergency arise...

Plan to take this with me in the future for continued us until something better comes along..much cheaper to use than a Sat phone in both initial cost and monthly from what I have seen..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Delorme Satelite Texting Device.... [Re: Ripp]
      #291240 - 01/12/16 05:15 PM

Quote:

... while there I sent texts to my family and friends which gave them not only my message but also they could google map and see exactly where I was hunting...

RIPP wife texted: "I thought you were in "whatsitsstan" in the middle of Asian nowhere hunting some goat, but your text shows it as coming from the Moulin Rouge in Paris!!!" What is going on?"

RIPP "oops, I forgot about that feature."

Quote:

pretty cool feature ..that can be not used as well if you wish..

How well does it works as a GPS? Screen is fairly small. How loading the maps on it go?

I still need to buy a new GPS. Borrowed Claydog's last time in the NT and it was so much better than mine, especially with the ability to load maps. My old one also takes a VERY long time to acquire satellites.

I think eventually sat phones, texting and GPS will all be combined. May not be good, because sat phones are usually larger than a GPS which is better handy when hiking and hunting.

I assume sat phones already allow texting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: Delorme Satelite Texting Device.... [Re: NitroX]
      #291244 - 01/12/16 05:31 PM

I looked at those texting devices but for me the Sat phone option was way better. Second hand off E bay for 500 bucks and when I need to use it I just put my I phone sim card in. No monthly costs. The calls are at international rates but when you need it who cares. Can also lend it out and any teltra sim can go in it and the owner gets billed. The text device I looked at still had sign up and monthly fees.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1054

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com