Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Mid-Asian Ibex--2016
      #290591 - 21/11/16 06:10 AM

Got back a few days ago from a 2 week adventure in Kyrgyzstan. The hunt went really well. Outfitting company was outstanding as well the guides and overall hunt.

Weather was on the chilly side. We drove to camp --pic shown below..

Attached is the the main lodge that was at about 9000ft elevation...

Our spike camp was at just under 9600 ft that we rode horses into...see pics of ride and of some of the terrain..we were normally at 10-11,500ft elevation while hunting...

One the way in we came across some of the local Yak herd...interesting animals...

Spike camp was on the cool side with morning temps around -20C --would warm up to around 2-4C during the afternoon..however as soon as the sun when behind the mtns it cooled off quickly..water in my bottle on the first morning was frozen solid..put it in my sleeping bag after that..

On the first day out we spotted a nice billy standing on a ridge..I ranged him at 670+ yards..the guides wanted me to shoot from there..I refused and said, 1. I don't want to take that long of a shot. We then hiked after him and made about a 2 hour stalk..we got to 11,200 ft elevation..but when we got there he was gone..I am certain he smelled us as the winds were really swirling heading up the mtn..

The fourth morning I was literally putting my wool pants on when one of the guides came running into the tent saying grab your rifle..IBEX... IBEX...so grabbed my rifle..and ran behind him heading up the side of the mtn..there was an ibex on the opposite side of the canyon coming off of the river and heading up..by the time we got on to him he was over the first ridge..plus it was so dark yet I really had a hard time seeing my reticle in the scope...I hiked up the opposite side of the mtn and glassed..after about 40 minutes the same guide spotted him standing in the shaded area of a cliff on the opposite side of the canyon..once I found him I ranged him with my bino's and watched the wind where he was at..which seemed to be little to none and what was there was blowing from me to him..so should not affect drift..after setting up and getting everything built up for a good rest I took the 534 yard shot..with the guides watching through their bino's...I gently pulled the trigger. Almost immediately after the shot the guides were jumping up and down and high-fiving each other..slapping me on the back and hugging me as well..the ibex dropped off of the cliff and tumbled probably 4-5 times and fell into a half-moon shaped chute..the mtn was extremely steep, causing the ibex to slide completely down the mtn to within 50 yards of the creek bottom ..we hiked down and took lots of pics..I then walked back to camp and grabbed a horse for packing out the meat and cape along with the obligatory bottle of vodka for the celebration..which is VERY custom over there..

Once I got back to the ibex the guides were skinning away. One guide pulled out his tape and showed me that the Ibex had a length measurement just under 52" which per the outfitter is the largest ibex ever taken at this camp..the ibex, per my friend Trpy, who was along with me and is an official SCI scorer, will score very well when compared to largest mid-asian ibex ever shot ..if not in the top 25 will surely be in the top 50 in the world..to put it in perspective, normally an ibex in the 45" range is considered a shooter and once you hit 47 or 48" its considered a true trophy ..I am not THAT into score, more so about the hunt and experience, but if it happens I am not going to be upset about it either..

Bad news part..on the way back from the camp to Bishkek --we stopped at a rest area about 2 hours out of Bishkek..was a few of us in the vehicle..late in the night, 10 hours into the drive..somehow when we got to the city 2 hours later my vest was gone along with my wallet, cell phone and sunglasses..so the pics I am posting are off of my fiends camera/phone..the only pics I will have is if I can get a couple from the guide as he did have a phone along....not sure how it happened to this day..but someone made off with it..my fault..should have taken it in with me....stupid move..

Mine is the one on the left as you look at the photo

My buddy Troy who I was hunting with..

Some random take away thoughts....

The country seems to be very poor...seeing people stopping by wooded areas and putting tree branches in the trunks of their cars to take home for heating their houses..Per the outfitter the land is owned by the government so no incentive to fix anything up as to fences, etc..you see herd watchman on horses watching the herds of sheep, horses, and cattle throughout the countryside..lots of wolves (2 and 4 legged) in the area I was hunting ..

We saw tracks but never saw a live wolf. I did see a really cool fox on a distant ridge glassing one day..also saw some smaller game birds while climbing twice (about the size of sharptail grouse)..found it strange that this time of year they were still at 10-11,500 ft elevation..

NOT uncommon to see horse listed on the menu of almost every restaurant. While I know that is not totally uncommon in Europe, just something you don't see here in my neck of the woods...

Vodka flows very freely over there..they like to do shots to everything..meet on the road..first day in camp, second day in camp..etc... very warm and friendly people I was with this time..certainly went the extra step..

Longer shots are the norm there...average is 300 yards or more..and heard of many quite a bit over that distance..while it is certainly possible to get closer--as high and open as the terrain is there, you will have better chance of success if you can shoot those distances...

As to the theft, there was about $350. cash in my wallet..based on the what I saw, I had NO expectation of anyone ever turning that in..I was told even if the local law enforcement found it they would not turn it in..its every man for himself in that world..which I find common and yet sad..with that mentality, IMHO, they will remain that way for a very long time..and frankly, if I was in their shoes and found $350 cash which will take care of my family for the next 6 months I probably would do the same...its wicked poor in certain areas...felt bad for the them with what I saw..

If anyone wants to know more of the outfitter PM me and I will be happy to provide the info. Very steep and demanding terrain. If you plan to hunt there, BE in shape...the outfitter fb page is : https://www.facebook.com/asiansafari/

Thank you

Ripp

Edited by Ripp (21/11/16 05:54 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 [Re: Ripp]
      #290596 - 21/11/16 08:02 AM

Thank God Ripp you got a picture to prove what you did & great heads taken both you & your mate!
I hope the heads get back to you in the States, would be a travesty if they hold the heads for ransom so to speak.
My hope is that your fees go to spreading the wealth around a bit, shame its like that in some places - we are so lucky aren't we!
Take care matey, thanks for sharing - job very well done!
93x64mm

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #290626 - 21/11/16 03:08 PM

Ripp, well done. Other than the theft I would say you had a great trip. Beautiful and challenging looking country. Well beyond my capabilities now.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 [Re: 93x64mm]
      #290645 - 22/11/16 02:04 AM

Quote:

Thank God Ripp you got a picture to prove what you did & great heads taken both you & your mate!
I hope the heads get back to you in the States, would be a travesty if they hold the heads for ransom so to speak.
My hope is that your fees go to spreading the wealth around a bit, shame its like that in some places - we are so lucky aren't we!
Take care matey, thanks for sharing - job very well done!
93x64mm

Fortunately on these hunts we can bring the cape and horns along with on the way back..so they are already at the taxidermist getting worked on...but yes, based on how corrupt things are there and elsewhere that would certainly be a concern..

Agree--it really is a shame how things are...but...much of it is self imposed by what/how they operate...along with what I consider a somewhat oppressive government tends to make life even more difficult than it needs to be..

Thank you

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #290650 - 22/11/16 06:11 AM

Ripp, great hunt with superb scenery. Magnificent trophies as well, looks like you had a ball. Well done.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #290669 - 23/11/16 12:52 AM

Quote:

Ripp, great hunt with superb scenery. Magnificent trophies as well, looks like you had a ball. Well done.

Waidmannsheil.

Thank you..yes, was a great hunt..would really like to go back and chase Marco Polo one day..but cant wait too long as I am not getting any younger..

Ripp

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #290693 - 23/11/16 09:03 AM

AWESOME hunt. Really amazing country. Thanks for posting!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Pretorius
.224 member

Reged: 22/04/15
Loc: Sweden
Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 [Re: 9.3x57]
      #290716 - 23/11/16 11:01 PM

Really something most of us would love to do . Congrats on getting it done.
Can you share more on rifle cal combo? Bullet used etc? What your mate used also, is of interest.

Memories forever like that, l think you'll soon forget the cost, and live it again when you close your eyes

--------------------
Mr P

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 [Re: Pretorius]
      #290722 - 24/11/16 12:13 AM

Quote:

Really something most of us would love to do . Congrats on getting it done.
Can you share more on rifle cal combo? Bullet used etc? What your mate used also, is of interest.

Memories forever like that, l think you'll soon forget the cost, and live it again when you close your eyes

For a rifle, mine was a RIFLES INC. built by Lex Webernick in 280AI caliber. I had a Zeiss 4x14 scope with the Rapid-Z 800 reticle on it..Was shooting 140 gr.Nosler Accubond bullets..mv was roughly 3150fps. I have used this combo on pronghorn antelope, mule deer, tur, ibex and sheep. Works very well for those sized animals and shots are usually longer so feel the bullet will hold up in regards to muzzle velocity.. The weight all in this rifle with scope, sling, and ammo weighs under 6.5 lbs. Again, when I go on these hunts weight is a BIG issue for me..I cut done to bare minimum where possible..

My mates rifle was a custom built by PIERCE ENGINEERING..in 300RUM..has a PROOF barrel..Christenson Thumb-hole stock..jewel trigger..Leupold V-6 3-18.--with a dial turret...I actually had it built for him per his request..Loaded it as well with 180 Gr Nosler Accubonds..3200fps mv..rifle is around 7.5lbs all in..

My take away after using both the dial up turret vs the rapid-z type fixed reticle, I am becoming more and more a fan of the fixed Rapid Z type. In many cases there is not enough time to range, dial up and then get on the animal for the shot..with the Rapid Z , I range..get on the animal and pull the trigger..boom, done..If I would have had to dial when I was on the Tur hunt I would not have gotten him..was about a 10 second window.

Swarovski has a similar reticle as does Leupold and others, but I don't like the Swaro as much as it isn't a fixed number for each distance..so you need to tape a chart to your stock or have it under the lens cap of your scope...I actually asked a Swaro rep why they don't have that any longer as they did on their Kahles line about a dozen years back..I was told it is patent protected..Swaro had to pay a royalty to use it..so elected to no longer do so...the Swaro glass is certainly better IMHO, but for me the reticle is everything for this type of hunting..

I built another rifle this past season in 28 Nosler...very similar to my friends...but it is about 1 pound heavier than the RIFLES INC. ..so I chose to take what I know and have used the most...

The RIFLES INC rifle is a lethal combo..and very accurate especially when considering the lighter contour barrel and overall weight of the rifle.. Usually I can get 3 shots in .5 -.75 inch..with the first 2 usually touching one another..I have an older target at home where I was practicing for a Big Horn sheep hunt..was shooting at 450 yds at our local range..had a bright orange dot on the target of a life sized sheep..it put all three shots in the orange dot which was about the size of our American silver dollar..I found that very impressive again, for a rifle that light. And yes, got my sheep..

Hope this helps..

Ripp

Edited by Ripp (24/11/16 12:20 AM)

GG375
.333 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Loc: Brisbane
      #290771 - 24/11/16 08:44 PM

Excellent story thanks Ripp....congrats.

Were the projectiles standard Nosler Accubonds or the Long Range version?

Cheers mate.

GG

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 [Re: GG375]
      #290773 - 24/11/16 08:48 PM

Quote:

Cheers mate.

GG

They were standard accubonds...have stuck with them as they shoot so well...when the long range accubonds first come out the rumor on the street was Nosler was having some long range flight issues. While believe that has been remedied..have just stuck with these...the long range accubonds do group pretty well out of my 26 Nosler..

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (24/11/16 09:22 PM)

GG375
.333 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Loc: Brisbane
      #290822 - 25/11/16 04:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Cheers mate.

GG

They were standard accubonds...have stuck with them as they shoot so well...when the long range accubonds first come out the rumor on the street was Nosler was having some long range flight issues. While believe that has been remedied..have just stuck with these...the long range accubonds do group pretty well out of my 26 Nosler..

Thanks very much for those details Ripp.

Much appreciated.

GG

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 [Re: GG375]
      #290827 - 25/11/16 07:35 PM

Good report and pictures. Looks like a great adventure

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #290991 - 28/11/16 08:01 PM

Congratulations, Ripp; hunting the Himalayas is without doubt the epitome of mountain hunting! Best regards. Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 [Re: Louis]
      #290998 - 29/11/16 02:03 AM

Congratulations mate. Another wonderful trip and such amazing trophies. Great experience too. Oneday I want to come and visit your trophy room.

Did you take two Ibex?

From what you write I assume you were able to bring back the trophies all the way to the USA taxidermist? If so, one less thing to go wrong.

Pity about loosing the camera. But at least you have some photos from your mate.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Mid-Asian Ibex--2016 [Re: NitroX]
      #291065 - 30/11/16 12:06 AM

Quote:

Congratulations mate. Another wonderful trip and such amazing trophies. Great experience too. Oneday I want to come and visit your trophy room.

Did you take two Ibex?

From what you write I assume you were able to bring back the trophies all the way to the USA taxidermist? If so, one less thing to go wrong.

Pity about loosing the camera. But at least you have some photos from your mate.

NO--I only harvested one Ibex..they had me hold one of my friends along with mine to show the size of the one I took...

Yes, I was able to bring back all the trophies with me...so saved some $$ there..and no need to wrry of it going missing...

Anytime you head this way please let me know, would love to have a beer or three and visit..

Maybe some of us on here should have a gathering here in the US ??

Drink beer and tell lies...just like on the forums...

I certainly plan to head your way in the not too distant future..but my next stop is Cameroon..

Thx

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (30/11/16 12:07 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3506

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com