Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: CCHunter - your new .375?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
CCHunter - your new .375?
      #2888 - 21/05/03 02:02 AM

CcHunter

You took your .375 and used it for the first time in anger this safari.

How did it go? Satisfied? Still need more safaris to decide?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
Re: CCHunter - your new .375? [Re: NitroX]
      #2895 - 21/05/03 06:07 AM

John

I took four animals with the 375 so still it is to early to evaluate everything, but here are my thaughts.

Heavy barrel and safari model gives a solid feeling for the african hunt. Ok heavy to carry but I have no problems with that. I have a Safari Ching sling attached and that works great.

Animals and results; bullet Barnes X 250 grains at speed 840 m/s

Kudu cow - standing 30 degres towards me at 100 meters. Perfect hit at the shoulder and the bullet penetrated all the way to the back leg. She took a dance and fell at the spot. I hope that the bullet was recovered and that I will have it in July.

Stenbuck - Shot it in the stomach and everything was blown away from the animal. Minimum meat damage though and it ran 100 meters. No bullet was recovered.

Duiker - about the same hit as the Stenbuck but ran 50 meters and was standing so I gave it another shot in the chest and it went down. No bullet here either (strange)

(the reason for the shot placement was for not spoiling the possibility for a shoulder mount.)

Warthog - BIG - 70 meters broadside about 10 cm back from the shoulder due to a branch in the way. Ran about 80 meters, broke both tusks on right side.

I hope to have more facts after the next trip in July when we will go for Zebra, Wildebeest and Eland.

--------------------

Christer Hansson

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: CCHunter - your new .375? [Re: cchunter]
      #2897 - 21/05/03 07:06 PM

Christer

Interesting on the shot placement on the steenbok.

I had a chance at an absolute record class klipspringer on my safari in 1994. The animal was on a low kopje of rocks but all I could see was the head and the gut with the chest hidden behind a tree trunk.

The PH yelled, "Shoot, Shoot, Shoot!" but I couldn't. I moved two metres to the right and the klipspringer was gone.

He asked me why didn't I shoot and I said all I could see was the gut and he said I should have shot it in the gut.

This was news to me as the previous animal I shot was the wildebeest and "The Long Trek". So I had learned my lesson in taking risky shots. However a .30-06 on a klipspringer probably would have dropped it OK with that shot.

I was hunting in the non-hunting preserve area of the game area. This had been permitted as the game on the property had been very stirred up by a helicopter doing live game capture. So the record head klipspringer was in a non-hunting area normally.

However my second chance at a klipspringer the next day resulted in it spotting us and running away leading us to a nice herd of eland, resulting in a very enjoyable though painful 5 km hunt (jogging and often bent over on the chase) and a good eland trophy.

So good luck on your next safari and eland.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
Re: CCHunter - your new .375? [Re: NitroX]
      #2904 - 21/05/03 08:22 PM

John

I noticed a very big difference in attitude from my PH concerning shot placement and oppertunities where there was some smaller branches in the way. The reason was the higher confidence to the 375 compared toother smaller calibers.

--------------------

Christer Hansson

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1408

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com