Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hungary

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
Hungary
      #28971 - 06/04/05 01:14 AM

I'll stay there 5 days for a Roe Deer hunt next month. Anyone had been there before??? Anything I should know???

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Hungary [Re: 470Nitro]
      #28972 - 06/04/05 02:11 AM

I was in Hungary in 1989., when it was still nominally communist. A new government with all the old laws but not many of them enforced.

Didn't hunt but looked at a lot of hunting stuff. The first evening in Budapest had a dinner in a basement restaurant with wolf skins on the walls.

Sorry can't help you but enjoy their lovely "Egri Bikaver" ("Bull's Blood") red wine from Eger, or a beautiful Tokaji (Tokay), plus a great goulasch.

Would have all changed since then.

Good luck on your hunt! I am jealous as I wanted to hunt there but was there at the wrong time of the year and no money!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

470Nitro
.333 member

Re: Hungary [Re: NitroX]
      #29130 - 08/04/05 07:51 PM

Thanks NitroX, I'll be there in May 6th. I want to hunt 8 deers in 5 days. This gonna be my first time there and I'm sure I'll like .

--------------------
-----

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#29131 - 08/04/05 08:25 PM

Hope you make the tally. No one else here has hunted in Hungary?? Pity.

You may be aware of the origin of the name of "Bull's Blood"(?) but perhaps others are not.

Hungary was invaded by the Turks in the middle ages and in fact the Turks were only turned back near Vienna. During one of the invasions the walled town of Eger in Northern Hungary was besieged by Turksih forces but the Turks became very frighted by the defenders when they saw them drinking what they thought was blood ie bull's blood. Therefore the red wine from Eger becam known as Bull's Blood which is a very cool name.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Oldsarge
.300 member

Reged: 07/02/05
Loc: SoCal Borderlands
      #29163 - 09/04/05 01:00 AM

That same war is the source of the modern male's curse, the necktie. Seems the king of Bohemia gathered up an army to lift the siege of Vienna and marched them off. Hoping to avoid having his troops sidle off and disappear into the countryside while en route, he made everyone tie a piece of colored cloth around their necks. When the arrived and the Turks left (mostly do to horrific disease from non-existant field sanitation in the camp) the Viennese rejoiced and in celebration adopted the colored neckwrap as a fashion accessory, the idiots!

--------------------
Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle!

faeroe
.224 member

Reged: 06/04/05
Loc: Minnesota
      #29173 - 09/04/05 02:43 AM

I have been out for boar in Hungary, but with no luck. I did see roe buck, red stag and pheasants, but no piggies. It is a beatiful place - be sure to check out the various game dishes that are served at traditional restaurants.

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #29932 - 23/04/05 03:36 PM

The most famous outfitter in Hungaria is Venatio hungarica .
Last year I met them in the Country Show in Paris. They have a trick to crop outstanding trophies of roe and boar . Look at the picture.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Mooseman
.224 member

Reged: 30/04/05
Loc: BC Canada
      #30277 - 30/04/05 02:59 PM

Where are you going to hunt? I was there just three Month ago bowhunting red stag and boar.

Best Regards,
Michael

--------------------
Smile when hunting and show the little once how to!

470Nitro
.333 member

Re: Hungary [Re: Mooseman]
      #30957 - 12/05/05 11:32 PM

I'd been northeast Budapest. About 140 away the capital towards the Slovenian border.

Finally I get 6 nice bucks.

--------------------
-----

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#30972 - 13/05/05 02:04 AM

Some nice roe you have there. I ended up on that border area once but not on purpose.

Tell us more, the rifle, hunt stories. Please!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

cchunter
.375 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Kinna, Sweden
      #31276 - 17/05/05 01:26 AM

Congratulations to some fine trophies!

--------------------

Christer Hansson

470Nitro
.333 member

#31277 - 17/05/05 01:27 AM

There're really no great storys . In this area, there is a flat and large land (cereal fields), so you've to shot from more than 150 yards almost times. Sometimes you can try to stalk closer sneaking between the wet grass, but is pretty difficult.
Once again my 6.5x57R singleshot did his best, the weather was nice and the food really tasty (almost small game dishes).
I like the country and I had no time to see Budapest so I had to come back again

--------------------
-----

clark7781
.375 member

Reged: 28/10/04
Loc: Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
      #31836 - 24/05/05 03:30 AM

My wife, son and I will be in Austria for 3 weeks at the end of July/beginning of August. (Wife is Austrian.)

I hunted with my father-in-law two years ago for boar and bagged a nice one. This time, Florian (my father-in-law) has talked about maybe going to Hungary for boar, or just hunt again in Austria.

Bottom line, I may or may not be hunting this time around. Depending on time and if he can arrange it, it will be a "decide today, hunt tomorrow" type thing.

One thing I LOVE about the hunting in Austria is the tradition. Before a hunter leaves for the hunt, everyone wishes him good luck with the traditional phrase, "weidmans heil."

If the hunter is lucky enough to harvest a boar, whereever it is found by the hunter, a branch from the nearest tree/bush is taken and put into the animals mouth. This represents "the last meal." Then, upon processing the boar, hair from the back is removed and fashioned to the hat of the hunter. (In Austria the dark green hat looks like the one worn by Robin Hood--forgive the analogy)

--------------------
Clark

Double Rifle Shooters Society
.500 NE and .577 NE

faeroe
.224 member

Reged: 06/04/05
Loc: Minnesota
Re: Hungary [Re: clark7781]
      #32594 - 03/06/05 02:04 AM

I just got back from visiting the wife’s family in Hungary. Getting desparate (after failing to connect with a hunting local club member) to do something other than spend time with her family, I forced my wife to take me to a hunting shop in a town nearby. The owner was able to line it up for me after much calling around to various guides.

As a foreigner, you essentially need an invitation from a local club or a contract with a professional guide to hunt in Hungary. It was my first professional guide experience and European hunting reg.s are quite different from the US. I had a hard time convincing them that I was qualified as a hunter. I ended up sort of bluffing through with my carry permit, the notation of ‘firearm safety’ and ‘firearm certificate’ on the back side of my DL and the small game/turkey licenses I had in my wallet. A copy of last year's deer license would have gone a long way.

The arrangement was with a privately managed operation on long-term leased land from the government. It was on what had been the Bishop’s hunting estate at Süttõ before the commies grabbed Hungary, and then was the hunting ground for the army’s high officers. 9500 hectares of 90% forested land managed for game.

My guide was the forester/game manager for 1200 hectares of that and had primary responsibility for his section and knowing how many of each game species are resident on his parcel. If I recall correctly, he thought there were about 40-60 red deer, 120-140 wild pigs, 30-40 mouflon, 30-40 fallow deer and 20 roe deer on his parcel. Pigs are in season almost year-round as are roe buck and in the summer months there should be a discount on the per head charges.

I wasn’t interested in a trophy, so asked only to shoot a yearling, with the idea that it would be better to eat. This was really no challenge at all for the guide, so he led off on a stalk to try to walk one up. We did manage to sneak up on a total of six red deer and a roe buck, but no pigs. Just before sunset, we went into a highstand looking over a clearing in the forest. He probably could have set his watch by the arrival of the yearlings to this opening, so it was over very quickly.

If my experience with the outfit was typical, then I would be happy to recommend them. Their website is at the following address: http://www.bp-erdo.hu/english/index.html
German knowledge would go a long way for non-Hungarians. though French and Spanish may also be more frequently known than English.

470Nitro
.333 member

#37578 - 16/09/05 05:57 AM

--------------------
-----

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2924

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com