Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 5-reasons-to-book-an-African-plains-game-safari-now/

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
5-reasons-to-book-an-African-plains-game-safari-now/
      #288211 - 22/09/16 11:53 PM

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/...ame-safari-now/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
Re: 5-reasons-to-book-an-African-plains-game-safari-now/ [Re: Ripp]
      #289079 - 15/10/16 04:20 AM

That's interesting who would be a reasonable outfitter? In nambia I would say.i have been half saving up for an grizzly hunt but what little I look on line I could go to Africa for the same.i know it wouldn't be one of the big five but one of the antalopes or deer style would be fine.just for the adventure.also are the trophies barred from import?

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: 5-reasons-to-book-an-African-plains-game-safari-now/ [Re: ducmarc]
      #289105 - 15/10/16 04:53 PM

Hi Ducmarc:

I was faced with the same decision, and it quickly became apparent that Namibia would be a better and more cost effective choice, given limited funds, and being a far more exotic and interesting destination, at least from my perspective.....

Yes, you can bring the trophies home with you, but each jurisdiction has its own quirky rules.... Lion and elephant tusk and spotted cats are all CITES listed animals for which the US government FWS get all pouty about, but most plains game are not CITES listed and the trophies are easy to import... The meat would stay behind in Africa after you've eaten your fill of course......

There are quite a number of reputable safari outfits in Namibia. I used Duggaboy Hunting Safaris. They have a really nice operation about an hour outside of Windhoek, hunting on a 20,000 acre "farm" with hunting privileges on surrounding farms...... All fair chase, and it's NOT a high fence operation..... Their plains game hunting rates are quite reasonable, and the PH and his partner run things very well, with customer service as their top consideration. Accommodations are really cool..... The place is a classic colonial house and compound. Very comfortable, food excellent, and service, service, service.

For DG, they hunt the Caprivi strip, and again, they know how to treat clients with first class service... A remote bush camp, with a really good chef, king sized bed, pillow top mattress, and fine Egyptian linen... First rate accommodations..... Excellent food, and the PH, Dawid Muller is a first rate guy.... He's good people all the way.

I think you would be very pleased indeed. I hunt moose here in Ontario, in the cold, rainy crap weather, but for me it's incredibly cheap as a resident hunter compared to a non-resident Alaskan or Yukon hunt. For considerably less money than an Alaskan moose hunt, you could go to Namibia, and hunt in warm weather wearing shorts, and I stress: for quite a bit less money and very plentiful game.... It's a pretty simple decision if you ask me..... To hell with Alaska or a Yukon hunt given the alternative, unless of course it's a bucket list item and you're bound and determined to do it. It's a pain in the ass to fly to Africa, but well worth it IMHO.

I should add that both Alaska and the Yukon are special places in their own right with their own unique character and game that grows REALLY big, but to me, a hunt in Namibia is far more interesting and exotic because it is so very different from hunting at home.

Edited by Postman (15/10/16 05:29 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

Re: 5-reasons-to-book-an-African-plains-game-safari-now/ [Re: Postman]
      #289116 - 16/10/16 04:27 AM

From what I hear talking to booking agents and outfitters AND judging by the prices you see for the hunts..the African hunts are the deal of the century..IMHO..and if you want to go, NOW is the time to do it..many, many great deals out there..

As to Alaska versus Africa--they are so different its hard to compare. The hunts in Alaska have gone through the roof in terms of price where the opposite can be said of the African hunts. Supply and demand is the driving factor I believe..along with all the hassles anymore in permits, logistics, travel..many in N America are staying on this continent vs headed to the other side of the planet. Many are just finding it safer to stay here..so they do...

Again, IMHO, the prices now versus even 5 years ago for Dall sheep or Moose is insane. But again, its supply and demand..but agree, I am NOT paying 80-20K for a Moose hunt..plan to still go,, but will do it on my own with a friend or two..

Ripp

--------------------

ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
Re: 5-reasons-to-book-an-African-plains-game-safari-now/ [Re: Ripp]
      #289623 - 31/10/16 02:39 AM

What are the best or only times of the year for plains game in Zambia?I'd love to take a rifle but think renting would save a lot of grief.one ph I looked on line at loans u the rifle u pay for the shells u use.

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
      #289638 - 31/10/16 12:22 PM

Safari seasons usually run from May through to December approximately. When I went, I booked early February to go June 22nd through to July 7th. The later in the season you go, it apparently gets nasty hot. I was in the Caprivi, about 50 miles south of the Zambia border.

I saw weather at 5 am that was 50 degrees and it warmed from there to a balmy 85 degrees by mid day. I left camp with shorts on at sun up and had to take my jacket off by 10am.... By 2pm, it was hot enough to run around wearing nothing but a thong, if that's your thing.

There weren't many snakes because of the "cold" weather during their winter. Only saw one black mamba..... Ran over the blasted thing with the Land Cruiser when it unexpectedly shot across the road. It made for some VERY colourful language coming out of the safari crew. Didn't see any snakes while walking in the bush..... I was told that by October, it's steamy hot and the place is crawling with snakes.

There are many other forum members that have a great deal more experience than me that have much more insight than I. I'm giving you the very narrow first impressions of a complete novice. Sometimes things look a little different from the perspective of someone that has a single trip under their belt, and are still full of wide eyed wonder. The seasoned safari goers would surely have a much more enlightened view.

Edited by Postman (31/10/16 12:32 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

#289657 - 01/11/16 01:37 AM

Quote:

What are the best or only times of the year for plains game in Zambia?I'd love to take a rifle but think renting would save a lot of grief.one ph I looked on line at loans u the rifle u pay for the shells u use.

What Postman posted is correct as to times...and yes with all the hassle of traveling with guns anymore, IF I have that option and the guns are of good quality, I use one there vs taking my own..depending on where I am going. I do make sure I see/know what I will be using however..

Plains game is a fun hunt. You will enjoy should you go...lots of action, game, scenery, etc..its an incredible experience IMHO...

One problem if you do go, you better save more than anticipated as you will go back...

Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1857

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com