Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Oberndorf

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
iomskp
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/08
Loc: Cairns Queensland Australia
Oberndorf
      #289467 - 27/10/16 12:56 PM

Hello all Could somebody please explain to me why or if the 98 Oberndorf Mauser is better than other 98 German made Mausers.

Regards Trevor

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
metal
.275 member

Reged: 30/04/13
Loc: Australia
Re: Oberndorf [Re: iomskp]
      #289471 - 27/10/16 01:20 PM

No difference, except for maybe late war manufacture although late WW1 actions are still pretty nice. WW2 1944 & 45 they were a bit rough. 1908 & 1909 era contract Oberndorf or DWM, quite rightly described by Dorleac as "luxury", are superb in every respect and equal to the Original Sporters. IMHO.
Regards,
Metal.

metal
.275 member

Reged: 30/04/13
Loc: Australia
Re: Oberndorf [Re: metal]
      #289473 - 27/10/16 02:18 PM

Joel Dorleac tells it better than me - http://www.dorleac-dorleac.com/guns/our-protocol/?lang=en
Half way down the page, "Fabrication Protocol".

iomskp
.300 member

Reged: 10/11/08
Loc: Cairns Queensland Australia
Re: Oberndorf [Re: metal]
      #289475 - 27/10/16 02:58 PM

Thank you gentlemen for your explanations.

Regards Trevor

Wanabebwana
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Oberndorf [Re: iomskp]
      #289594 - 30/10/16 08:06 AM

Mauser had it's factory in Oberndorf (until it was destroyed and pillaged in WWII). The patents being no longer recognized everybody started making Mauser 98s considerably varying in quality. The original Oberndorfs were of the finest quality at the time and have collector value because they are the original Mauser. The actions made by Mauser in the 30's are the most highly regarded. Steyr made excellent commercial 98 actions as did FN. The FNs continued until 1975 and are the best of the non-Oberndorfs.
The worst examples of commercial 98 pattern actions are the Chinese Sarco/Dumoulin, the Serbian Zastava and the Spanish Santa Barbara used in Parker-Hales. There were some nicely made DWM and BRNO
VZ24 and other military actions that were reused in sporting rifles but many of the military actions made during WWII were poorly made due to manufacturing shortcuts and money and material shortages.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Oberndorf [Re: Wanabebwana]
      #289621 - 31/10/16 12:58 AM

Dorleac's perspective is interesting:
Quote:

The most used action remains the Mauser 98 or 96 type for Stalking Rifles. Even if we have in stock some beautiful commercial Original Oberndorf Mauser systems, single or double square bridge, solid wall, “Intermediate” or “Kurz”, we don’t consider those to be superior to the productions of Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken. Generally, the systems made by DWM for Brazilian 1908, Argentinian 1909 and the Mauser “Standard Modell” made in Oberndorf are of exceptional quality.

The use of forged Swedish steel (AISI 1330 type) with proper thermal treatment of these military “luxury” versions could only be amortized through large series made in arsenal. Similarly, models 24 made by Ceska Zbojovka CZ and especially G33/40 are exceptionally good, as well as, in a lesser measure, the Polish Model 29.

We reserve the superb Gewher actions, made in Erfurt or Amberg before WWI to intermediate calibers and we do not hesitate, although they require extensive file modeling and finish work, to use the very hard and strong Byf.42/43 military productions, which, with the latter FN, remain our favorites for “hard” or “violent” calibers.

The Swedish 96 is by itself a superb foundation for intermediate calibers such as 6.5×57, 7×57 or .284 Winchester.
For special executions, and for all our left-handed rifles, we use the superb FZH (Feinmechanische Zerspanungs) systems that are made with the same steel as the old Oberndorf ones.

However, the selected mechanism remains a starting basis that has to be carefully blue printed, squared, adjusted and polished. To do this, after the first file shaping, the receiver is carefully checked to make sure an hazardous barrel take apart hasn’t warped it, then it is set on a special jig, surfaces are rectified and squared, threading is cleaned and the bolt lug squared and lapped. Now the base is sound and can receive the barrel.

Wanabebwana
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Oberndorf [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #289642 - 31/10/16 01:49 PM

Unless you were to use a military 98 action or take a commercial one out of a rifle the best option post WWII was the FN. Rigby, Westley Richards,Holland & Holland and all the top gunmakers used FNs.
Rigby even used FN 98 actions for their .416 Rigby. Economic conditions in Europe after the war were so dire that FN actions were very affordable and used by Colt, Sako, Weatherby, Winslow,Dumoulin, and even the JC Higgins mod.50 made for Sears had an FN Deluxe action. The finish, heat treatment, and steels used do not require the re-manufacturing and modifications required to bring military actions to the same specs. It was a sad necessity of war to put the German gun manufacturers out of commission. The 98 Mauser is not dead and commercial versions of top quality are being produced today and for decades to come.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2266

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com