Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test
      #289166 - 18/10/16 12:50 AM

http://www.petersenshunting.com/gear-accessories/rifles/the-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test [Re: Ripp]
      #289175 - 18/10/16 03:10 AM

Interesting, but not my 'style', yet.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test [Re: DarylS]
      #289186 - 18/10/16 07:24 AM

Looks like there is Proof in pricing eh..

That was worth a read thanks.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test [Re: gryphon]
      #289191 - 18/10/16 09:00 AM

I used one of those MG arms rifles in NZ and found it fantastic. They definitely are a bit harder to hold steady but I loved the feel of it. I talked to a guy at the SCI show from Rifles Inc that makes a .375 H&H that weighed in at 4.5 pound bare.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test [Re: gryphon]
      #289192 - 18/10/16 09:04 AM

I'll do the gym work to save paying big dollars for something that is a not too much lighter than my 300SAUM and 375H&H.

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test [Re: Rule303]
      #289196 - 18/10/16 10:05 AM

Quote:

I'll do the gym work to save paying big dollars for something that is a not too much lighter than my 300SAUM and 375H&H.

G'Day Fella's,

I agree Rule .303 but it is Fun to have uncommon rifles to use.

Thanks for sharing Ripp, it is an interesting comparison.

In my line of business, I'm lucky to get to handle, use and create some interesting firearms.
But despite this, if you want a Featherweight hunting rifle, I still feel the Kimber Montana and Mtn Assent are bloody hard to beat!

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Rockdoc
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test [Re: Homer]
      #289205 - 18/10/16 04:50 PM

I agree with you Homer. Kimbers aren't hard to get to shoot accurately.

Note they didnt have a rating for price.....

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test [Re: Rockdoc]
      #289206 - 18/10/16 05:33 PM

There is a Fierce on UG`s for $7500,that rates.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #289207 - 18/10/16 05:58 PM

Tend to agree with you Homer.

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test [Re: Rule303]
      #289209 - 19/10/16 12:45 AM

I like the Kimber the best of them all, but to be honest, I can't see that any of them are better than the Winchester M-70 Featherweight and 2 of them are not as good. The Winchester has a better safety and a better extractor.
It is the same weight as the Proof Research and the Christensen. From my experience with them,(as a gunsmith I have mounted a lot of scopes on them and shot a lot of them) the M70 is just as accurate, and it's better looking then any of these. In fact an M70 FW that has been used in the field for 10 years is still prettier than any of these are when they are brand new.

And to all this I need to point out that an M-70 FW costs about 45% of the price of the Proof Research,
33% as much as the Christensen,
1/4 of the MG Arms,
and about 45%of the Kimber.

Sorry folks but I'd take the Winchester even if they were all priced the same. In my opinion is it better in some ways and as good in every way.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test [Re: szihn]
      #289214 - 19/10/16 07:31 AM

Each to their own but I respectfully disagree.

Ironically when I was out at the range this morning a nice older gentleman got out to also shoot and get ready 5 rifles for the season. I asked him if I could take a peak at one of his Winchester feather weights..he said fine so I grabbed it and took an aim or two while admiring its beautiful wood stock. Two things come to mind immediately. One was how much heavier it was that what I was there shooting..they were 2-3 lbs more..The owner stated that with rings, mounts, scope and rifle his 2 were around 8.25 to 8.5 lbs. Secondly I thought about my last hunt were it rained for the last 2 day's none stop and glad I had a synthetic stocked rifle.

This is what I was shooting this morning..first one is a titanium Pierce action, Proof barrel, Jewel trigger, Manners stock-28 Nosler..second is same only with a Christianson stock in 300RUM, third one is a Fierce titanium actioned rifle in 26 Nosler..4th is a HS Precison in 300RUM and lastly my truck gun..Tikka..in 22-250..geting ready for coyote season..

I personally feel much better on a mountain hunt with a synthetic vs wood stocked rifle. Nothing to absorb all the rain, snow, sleet or whatever weather the mtn has to throw at it..yes I know you can glass bed, which I do, but, synthetic is just more durable than wood in my experiences..and will normally handle horse abuse a bit better as well..

I work out 4-5 days a week, twice a day to stay in shape. Not bragging but to make a point, I do NOT want to nor will I carry 30-40% more weight in a firearm if I don't need to. My thought is you carry the rifle all day long, day after day..but only shoot it once..hopefully... ...in my mind less weight is better within reason...I also have a Lex Webernick in 280AI..one of my favorites..was right at 5 lbs without scope...all in about 6.3 lbs..great shooter..and as light as it is it's reasonably easy to shoot accurately...has been with me on numerous mtn hunts and is headed back to Kyrgyzstan in a few weeks...

Mountain hunts in particular, ounces make pounds and extra pounds make for tired hunters..no need to carry more than you need..in fact I refuse to do that..

Proof and Winchester rifles are two entirely different animals..one (Proof) is new school and Winchester is old school..two different ways to skin the proverbial cat...but as to quality, I have had one form of Winchester or another most of my life, and still have a few..but, IMHO, Winchester can't hold a candle to Proof in terms of fit, quality of workmanship and the consistent accuracy of a Proof .. they are just not as good..never have been and never will be..IMHO..unless Proof buys them..

Ripp

Edited by Ripp (20/10/16 02:42 AM)

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: The-ultimate-mountain-rifle-test [Re: Ripp]
      #289219 - 19/10/16 09:54 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Nice selection and thank you for sharing (image and opinion) Ripp.

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

BillG500
.300 member

Reged: 16/10/14
Loc: Australia
      #289233 - 19/10/16 02:13 PM

My sentiments exactly Ripp. Ounces turn into pounds real quick. I have hunted with a few crazy/nutter keen Kiwi's down on the south island who I swear had Thar genes in their blood and they go to some major extremes to keep weight down with all their kit. These guy's won't buy $5,000 light weight hunting rifles as their gear cops a serious flogging in the elements and is a waste of good money as far as they were concerned. I borrowed and old .308 off a mate over there on one hunt, it had more bumps, bruises and dings than a 40 year old hooker but I was told it would shoot under an inch all day long. It was a Remington 700 SPS which was accurised and sat in a Stug carbon stock. Super light and functional to a fault, a tool not a fancy toy. It was a pleasure to use and carry, I have since then taken a lot more care in rifle weight than I ever did.
I'll just give Stug stocks a bit of a plug while I'm at it. While not the prettiest things in the world and the carbon does not lay straight in spots, these stocks are bloody brilliant. Strong & super light. They are so functional I bought two, a Remington short and a long action.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1869

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com