Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New Cartridge

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
AussieMike
.300 member

Reged: 01/09/04
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
New Cartridge
      #28909 - 04/04/05 06:26 PM

I thought I'd let you know about a cartridge I developed a few years ago. It shoots a 0.458" bullet at 2,120fps from a 22" barrel and fits in a standard length action.

Sounds like the 458 Winchester Magnum. Well it is, sort of. I rebate the rim to 0.490 and recut the extractor groove, leaving the belt intact, of course. This allows me to use it in my Mauser 66 without changing the bolt head so I can, in 30 seconds drop out my 243Win barrel (in which I use 55gn Nosler Ballistic tips at 3,850fps) and switch to the 458.

Not an earth shattering development but with the 270, 30-06AI and 9.3x64 barrels it makes a convient combo and what's more, it only counts as one rifle on my licence, which, in the dark days ahead, may be very, very important.

mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: New Cartridge [Re: AussieMike]
      #28911 - 04/04/05 07:09 PM

Mike,

Someone has posted on the Australian Hunting Net that PTAs maybe coming down to 5 days for subsequent rifles...I think this is in Victoria.

But overall I agree with your sentiments and the future.

My main worry is that I don't think will we see future bans and compensation but rather calibre/need and you might have to sell what you have, sort of like someone who can no longer qualify for a drivers licence.

My hope is that expensive rifles whether they be Blasers, Mauser 66s, double rifles, custom shop Weatherbys will indicate "need"

I have ordered spare extractors, springs etcb for Weatherbys and hope to make myself as independent as possiblle, Also on my agenda is Richard Corbin bullet making gear.

The export licence situation from the US is getting worse. A mate of mine ordered some type of muzzle brake from Brownells last October and it just came through last week and the export licence was the hold up.

I am all 378 and 460 Wby and I know Woodleigh makes 40 million different bullets in 375 and 45 but I wonder if we will get to stage of only being able to buy so many bullets.

Can you imagine some terrorist in Australia ordering Horneber 505 Gibbs brass from Huntingtons

By the way, for those unfamiliar with Richard Corbin bullet making gear it is not that expensive unless you want a lot of different dies to form different shape bullets. You can also buy the dies to swage bullets for paper patching.

You can make the bullets in virtually an infinite range of weights so it might have some practical application for double rifles.

Butch Hairfied who is the main jacket maker does real thin jackets so you can make some good bullets for the big bores and our light game.

Mike

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
Re: New Cartridge [Re: Mike375]
      #28912 - 04/04/05 08:54 PM

The Mauser 66 sounds like a great idea especially because you can change from light to heavy in a matter of minutes.

I wouldn't mind some more info on the bullet making machine either,sounds interesting..
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: New Cartridge [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #28918 - 04/04/05 10:44 PM

Here is link to Richard Corbin.

He is much more highly regarded than his brother Dave who is CorbinBullets.

http://www.rceco.com/

There is also a forum on AccurateReloading called Bullet Making.

The cost to make 458s and similar is not much different to 270s. I think this is one reason that so many of the custom bullet makers start with the big bores because they can get a lot more dollars per bullet but material cost is about the same.

Richard will make any shape you want.

Mike

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 196 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1725

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com