Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Iffy Oberndorfs (fake?)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
Fallschirmjaeger
.224 member

Reged: 02/02/16
Loc: PA, USA
Iffy Oberndorfs (fake?)
      #287650 - 10/09/16 10:11 PM

There is a seller on Gunbroker.com who has put up a number of Oberndorf Mausers for sale. As of right now they have nine for sale. Although some of the rifles look somewhat correct or have correct parts for an Oberndorf sporting gun, there are other things that throw up flags and scare me off. Perhaps I'm just naive or just do not possess sufficient knowledge about the Oberndorf sporters but something doesn't smell right about these to me. So I will not be bidding (though the prices are reasonable), and figured I would share them here.

I guess the biggest flag I see is "Markings have been freshened". What is to stop a person with the proper stamping tools from just taking a military Mauser, removing the military marks and stamping them with the Oberndorf marks?

Again, perhaps I am just ignorant on the Subject and these are the deal of a lifetime. I don't know...

Here are a links for a few of the auctions to include a DOUBLE SQUARE BRIDGE for $1100 USD!

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/583391691

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/583391696

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/583391700

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/583391710

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: Iffy Oberndorfs (fake?) [Re: Fallschirmjaeger]
      #287651 - 11/09/16 01:46 AM

The first two look like "put together" guns to me, with very poor wood to metal fit, non-original stocks and recut markings.

The last two, particularly the 4th one, look pretty original.

Edited by mckinney (11/09/16 01:54 AM)

thirdbite
.224 member

Reged: 30/04/16
Loc: kansas, USA
Re: Iffy Oberndorfs (fake?) [Re: mckinney]
      #287655 - 11/09/16 03:43 AM

Looking at the prices he's asking for other guns, it doesn't seem to me he offers any deals of a lifetime.

Fallschirmjaeger
.224 member

#287658 - 11/09/16 04:58 AM

Quote:

The first two look like "put together" guns to me, with very poor wood to metal fit, non-original stocks and recut markings.

The last two, particularly the 4th one, look pretty original.

The fourth one is quite nice, my fear is that given the shady appearance of the other guns in question, could you trust you were buying what you thought you were buying. Perhaps I've never heard of 'refreshing markings', but it just makes me question the seller. Also, that seems like a lot of Obies in one place, perhaps he's selling someone's collection?

Also, I did not look at the sellers k98s, but I know many sellers have been doctoring those up in the last few years to jack up the prices on more common k98s and give the appearance of a more desirous, rare and valuable version.

Edited by Fallschirmjaeger (11/09/16 05:00 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #287665 - 11/09/16 06:45 AM

The first two look obviously (badly) restocked. One may have a previously stepped barrel which has been turned off??

Not an expert.

We had a member here (no longer) and still is a member of a some forums who was once flogging off an "original square bridge" which another member purchased and promptly returned for a refund. I believe this happened several times with the sale of the same "original" square bridge Mauser. The square bridges were 'after market' creations or so I was told.

I wonder about the square bridges of at least one of those rifles shown???

At least the photos show how bad the fitting of metal to wood is.

If trust is missing on one or two items, let the buyer beware on the others IMO.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Fallschirmjaeger
.224 member

Re: Iffy Oberndorfs (fake?) [Re: NitroX]
      #287667 - 11/09/16 06:52 AM

agreed!

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #287701 - 11/09/16 02:24 PM

what ever happen this guns will be on the market for along time, safe the pics

agree, No. 1 and No. 2 are fakes, No. 3 seems to be good but not in the best shape anymore, No. 4 is good but "The Mauser Sporter bolt has been re-numbered to match."

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/583391691

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/583391696

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/583391700

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/583391710

imho early 1930s Mauser 98K like the rifles for the "Deutsche Reichspost" were butchered to make this square bridge actions

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/07
Loc: Western NC
Re: Iffy Oberndorfs (fake?) [Re: NitroX]
      #287709 - 11/09/16 10:37 PM

The stock on No.2 looks like one from Great American Gunstock Co. At least they had a pattern very similar to that one.

Wayne59
.400 member

Reged: 20/06/15
Loc: Lagrange Ga. USA
Re: Iffy Oberndorfs (fake?) [Re: Carpetsahib]
      #287727 - 12/09/16 10:39 AM

The second one looks like an unfinished project. I like that peace of wood, but there starting bid is to high and they don't state what cartridge it is chambered for.

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: Iffy Oberndorfs (fake?) [Re: Wayne59]
      #287764 - 13/09/16 06:30 AM

To be fair to the sellers, they do mention most of the deviations in the descriptions. They don't appear to be trying to deceive buyers, which is a hard thing to do with original Mausers anyway. Buyers are usually pretty knowledgeable, or they wouldn't be shopping original Oberndorf sporters in the first place.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #287779 - 13/09/16 09:49 AM

Not an expert, and I have never bought anything from Ohio Ordnance. That said, they have been around for a while, and are a full auto dealer with a good name. Perhaps, you could just call, and discuss your concerns with them? If their response is satisfactory, then you might decide whether you want to bid, or not.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Fallschirmjaeger
.224 member

Re: Iffy Oberndorfs (fake?) [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #287824 - 14/09/16 05:04 AM

I'm not saying that Ohio Ordnance did the work themselves and are trying to pass forgeries. For all I know, they may have purchased the lot from someone else and are only presenting the information in the auctions that they received from the prior owner. My concerns are merely with how the rifles themselves are represented. I have no dog in this fight but have my own doubts. As such, I have no interest in bidding on these items. I felt these rifles should be presented here in this forum, where those with much more knowledge could critique and offer their opinions on them. Who knows, this could potentially help someone from making an expensive mistake or perhaps a solid buy.

Wanabebwana
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/13
Loc: Canada
      #287874 - 15/09/16 11:24 AM

I would say the first two are fakes. For the first gun,the script for the caliber is off. The checkering pattern is wrong. The Waffenfabrik Mauser is wrong and it has a military type bottom metal. On the second gun the ser. no. on barrel is different from the one on the receiver.
Buyer beware. That's why these guns sell on line.

UtahShotgunner
.275 member

Reged: 07/01/08
Loc: PA
Re: Iffy Oberndorfs (fake?) [Re: lancaster]
      #289216 - 19/10/16 08:25 AM

Quote:

what ever happen this guns will be on the market for along time, safe the pics

agree, No. 1 and No. 2 are fakes , No. 3 seems to be good but not in the best shape anymore, No. 4 is good but "The Mauser Sporter bolt has been re-numbered to match."

>>>SNIP PICS<<<

imho early 1930s Mauser 98K like the rifles for the "Deutsche Reichspost" were butchered to make this square bridge actions

To the part in blue, that seems like a rather harsh condemnation when the listing says:

Quote:

Original Mauser Sporter converted to Double Square Bridge type action. The rifle has been completely refinished. The barrel is an original Mauser Sporter barrel with English proof-marks, and a very good bore. The bolt is an original match to the receiver. the rifle has been restocked with a contemporary stock.

Seller accurately describes a rifle that was assembled from pieces and the provides good pictures.

I don't see any attempt to pass off a 'fake'.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
Re: Iffy Oberndorfs (fake?) [Re: UtahShotgunner]
      #289563 - 29/10/16 07:31 AM

I was the successful bidder on several of these "jewels". Once they arrive and I have had a chance to go over them, I will offer my opinion as to the authenticity of the descriptions.

redoak
.224 member

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: Michigan
Re: Iffy Oberndorfs (fake?) [Re: xausa]
      #290935 - 27/11/16 07:10 PM

Quote:

I was the successful bidder on several of these "jewels". Once they arrive and I have had a chance to go over them, I will offer my opinion as to the authenticity of the descriptions.

Xausa,

What are your impressions?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5045

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com