Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: LETTER'S OF PROVINENCE

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
1_of_13
.224 member

Reged: 30/08/16
Loc: Alaska
LETTER'S OF PROVINENCE
      #287497 - 06/09/16 11:45 PM

Was wondering where to write to obtain letters of provinence or origin for two of my doubles. They are from late 1800's and I have some info but would like to get something from the companies that made the rifles. They are a W.J. Jeffery 8 Bore, and a Holland and Holland 500 bpe. Thank You

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: LETTER'S OF PROVINENCE [Re: 1_of_13]
      #287501 - 07/09/16 12:20 AM

Quote:

Was wondering where to write to obtain letters of provinence or origin for two of my doubles. They are from late 1800's and I have some info but would like to get something from the companies that made the rifles. They are a W.J. Jeffery 8 Bore, and a Holland and Holland 500 bpe. Thank You

Holland and Holland is still a going concern and a viable financial enterprise in London England. Write them a letter.

There are much more knowledgable forum members than I that may provide better insight than I ever could re the W.J. Jeffery.......

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: LETTER'S OF PROVINENCE [Re: Postman]
      #287502 - 07/09/16 12:29 AM

I requested info direct from Westley Richards for my double..cost me something like $100. but got the date it was made and picked up from the factory...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

OahuKaneohe
.275 member

Reged: 03/12/08
Loc: Hawaii, Oahu, Kaneohe
Re: LETTER'S OF PROVINENCE [Re: Ripp]
      #287506 - 07/09/16 04:17 AM

I have received Certificates of Provinence from both Holland and John Rigby for my doubles. I don't
know who has the Jeffery records.

TH44
.375 member

Reged: 21/02/09
Loc: West UK
Re: LETTER'S OF PROVINENCE [Re: OahuKaneohe]
      #287511 - 07/09/16 08:05 AM

If you send me the serial number of the H&H .500 I will see if the contact I had some years ago is still there
(if you prefer, pm me)

If you can post pics we would all be grateful!

TH44

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: LETTER'S OF PROVINENCE [Re: TH44]
      #287524 - 07/09/16 02:38 PM

W J Jeffery records are privately held by a Mr. Thomas Friedkin out of Houston, Texas & it is extremely difficult to get info.
You might try "Pugwash" here to see if he can help you out.
The process, if successful, can take 6-8 months and will (maybe) include a photocopy of the surviving daybook page.

See comments in my .577 Jeffery thread:
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=271827&an=0&page=2#Post271827

Good luck,
Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

OahuKaneohe
.275 member

Reged: 03/12/08
Loc: Hawaii, Oahu, Kaneohe
Re: LETTER'S OF PROVINENCE [Re: 3DogMike]
      #287546 - 08/09/16 04:57 AM

TH44, thanks for the offer, I have the build sheets on both of my Hollands. Here is the .500 BPE
made for retailer P. ORR in India.
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=231245&an=0&page=1#Post231245

Edited by OahuKaneohe (08/09/16 04:58 AM)

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: LETTER'S OF PROVINENCE [Re: OahuKaneohe]
      #287553 - 08/09/16 09:16 AM

I was given another name for Jeffery records in 2015 and just heard back from the guy that he is no longer involved with WJ Jeffery. Was an address in Colorado. I will try Pugwash as I have been trying to get some information for some time.

Rockdoc
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: LETTER'S OF PROVINENCE [Re: Claydog]
      #287561 - 08/09/16 02:27 PM

I think Pugwash would be the go. Otherwise I will find out the name of the fellow that works for Mr Friedkin and handles the Jeffery records AFAIK. Have his name somewhere!

One or two of the Hollands I have bought came with the e factory record. H&H are good to deal with, I think it is GBP30 last time I ordered one, a couple of years ago. They were also good when giving me details of the extra 375 Flanged Mag barrels they built for my 500/450. Although extra work is not well recorded in their system.

Cheers, Chris

Edited by Rockdoc (08/09/16 02:30 PM)

1_of_13
.224 member

Reged: 30/08/16
Loc: Alaska
Re: LETTER'S OF PROVINENCE [Re: Rockdoc]
      #287575 - 09/09/16 01:51 AM

Thanks for the information guys, I've heard from H&H and from the serial number they say it might be kind of difficult but that they will try. On the Jeffery I have the page from the book but was hoping for an actual letter from the company.

As I obtain more doubles I will be sure to save this information and put it to good use.

Mike T.

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
      #287605 - 09/09/16 05:06 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the information guys, I've heard from H&H and from the serial number they say it might be kind of difficult but that they will try. On the Jeffery I have the page from the book but was hoping for an actual letter from the company.

As I obtain more doubles I will be sure to save this information and put it to good use.

Mike T.

If you have the copy of the daybook page you are already miles ahead of the game. I don't know for certain, but I am reasonably sure that the current W J Jeffery is a very small operation and do not have the personel or facilities to make it economically possible to provide formal "letters". That and W J Jeffery is in the UK whilst the surviving Jeffery daybooks are kept locked away at a private estate ranch in Texas.

Mr. Williams from Boulder, Colorado, USA was part of Mr. Friedkin's operation but has since retired and has no more affiliation with the Jeffery business.

As I mentioned earlier, good or bad, the surviving W J Jeffery daybooks are very closely held and difficult to access. Much as if a priceless Da Vince like the Mona Lisa were locked away vice being in a museum where it can be viewed by interested persons?
This is quite unlike, for instance, Cogswell & Harrison, H & H, or Rigby who have historians and a business ethos that appreciates and supports the enthusiasm of the owners of their vintage guns and rifles.
These guns and rifles are at once magnificent pieces of working art, history, and a touch with the long gone golden age of British firearms manufacture.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

TH44
.375 member

Reged: 21/02/09
Loc: West UK
      #287748 - 13/09/16 12:28 AM

Here we go

1889 Daybook page, your rifle is at the bottom

Blow up.
You are fortunate having a name "Alexander" (many did not, being made/bought in for stock)

"500 bore Back Action Double Rifle, Royal (Wow! top grade)

Hammers. A D (Anson & Deeley) snap fore end Top? lever Pistol Hand, Cheekpiece

???????????plates???? for sling

Bend 2 1/4" 1 1/2 1/16

Length (of pull)14 5/8" - 14 1/2", 15" (for each trigger)

Set off 1/4 - 5/16" what the circled 8 of 36 is I have no idea

Number 12314

That is all H&H have, which is what I have for my 2 doubles

If you wish I will send you the downloads direct for you yo print

Pics please! If you can not post them send them direct to me (at low 640 thingys) resolution

I hope this is of some help

Tony (TH44)

Rockdoc
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: LETTER'S OF PROVINENCE [Re: TH44]
      #287829 - 14/09/16 09:18 AM

Good find!

Certainly were brief in those days. Mine from 1906 and on included weight, weight of barrels etc.

For a while a Mr Daw must have worked for H&H and had his name in places. I have one book that cites a rifle or gun as being made for Mr Daw! His name appeared on quite a few records early 20th century.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2481

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com