Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Remington action

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
yumastepside
.333 member

Reged: 25/10/15
Loc: Tasmania Australia
Remington action
      #273113 - 12/11/15 05:52 PM

Like a lot of blokes, I can't afford a top of the line double rifle ( or any double rifle for that matter )but as I tend to build every thing I want ( and usually cant afford ), I thought I might have a go at a double rifle from a shotgun. I'm thinking of a bit of a practice run with an old Remington mod. 12 that I have. It has no stock or fore end and its already had a flogging so I don't have much to lose except some time and hopefully gain some experience.
Now to the point of this post.........is this action strong enough to build a double on ? if so,what? I was thinking of , in order of power/pressure,....30-30, 35-30, 303B, 7.62x54R and last 444 or 45-70....any ideas ??

Roger

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Remington action [Re: yumastepside]
      #273116 - 12/11/15 09:15 PM

Are you up North in Tasmania or down South?? I know that it is only about 2 hours in the difference but if it was up North ( Deloraine) , call in and see one of the best gunsmiths in Australia ( Alex Beer )and although now retired from gunsmithing is a wealth of information so you might get some advice straight from the best IMO.

Would suggest that you make sure that he is home 0400 474 507

yumastepside
.333 member

Re: Remington action [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #273117 - 12/11/15 10:08 PM

Thanks, I'm in Launceston now, only two months ago I was in your backyard, Orange !I'll give him a call, he might be able to help with the 9.3x74R P14 that I'm building also.I've already spoken to Gordon Cusens about stocks.

Roger

--------------------
If you live for a thousand years, you still only have one life, don't waste it.

Longknife
.333 member

Reged: 17/04/08
Loc: Illinois
      #278417 - 25/02/16 04:25 AM

Roger, Exactly what Remington do you have? The Remington model 12 is a 22 pump action rifle and I cant find any references to a SXS being called model 12....Ed

--------------------
Longknife

yumastepside
.333 member

Re: Remington action [Re: Longknife]
      #278424 - 25/02/16 05:59 AM

......don't know where I got the mod.12 from, probably a '94, 1900 or 1904.....how do you tell?

.......I assume its a 1894 by the patent number ??

Roger

--------------------

Edited by yumastepside (25/02/16 05:30 PM)

yumastepside
.333 member

#278465 - 25/02/16 06:07 PM

......from research I've just found, it appears to be a KE Grade mod. 1900 from about 1907.Unfortunately when I got it, the barrels had been cut to about 20" and the is no fore-end or butt stock.

Roger

--------------------

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #278473 - 25/02/16 11:39 PM

Roger,
I'm afraid that your gun is not strong enough to build any kind of rifle on. It has no double under lugs at all, the only lock up on it is the barrel extension and maybe one sliding bolt,and that is not enough to be using to build a rifle on. Do yourself a favor, if you are going to go to all the trouble and expense to build a double rifle, get a good European shotgun with three locking bolts on it and use it to build on. That way, when you get done, you will have something that is worth keeping.

Look for a gun with a Greener crossbolt on it if possible, or at least a gun with a hidden third fastener like the Purdy sliding bolt. It is always tempting to convert one of these old junkers since they are no good as a shotgun, but it is always a mistake because of their inherent weaknesses.
You can buy a good donor gun fairly cheaply if you find one that has bad barrels, that's the one to get and convert. Bob

yumastepside
.333 member

Re: Remington action [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #278481 - 26/02/16 05:33 AM

.........thanks, it looks like this one goes in the parts bin and the search goes on !

Roger

--------------------

baileybradshaw
.333 member

Reged: 21/06/08
Loc: Diana, TX
      #278505 - 27/02/16 06:53 AM

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?cPath=350_354_355&products_id=38019

here is a good candidate, or look for something similar.

--------------------
www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

Droplock
.224 member

Reged: 19/08/16
Loc: Colorado, U.S.
Re: Remington action [Re: baileybradshaw]
      #286984 - 26/08/16 06:14 AM

Roger,

Apologies for jumping in on my first post to stir the pot.....

Although I would not be in favor of using that Remington for any rifle caliber of power, make no mistake about it.....the gun has Triple Bites. Not sure where Bob's take on the lockup is coming from, but you can see all three bites in the photo you posted of the receiver.

1) Barrel Extension
2) at the base of the Face
3) The Split bite that frames the second 2 in 2280

The split bite could be made to be solid as well with a barrel alteration.

Also, it matches exactly, the 12ga Remington sitting here in my lap (triple bites). It was actually one of the better built American doubles, although HEAVY. Many brands were, as mentioned, only locked by the rib extension which is dubious at best.

Not suggesting you proceed with a rifle, although is would make an interesting rim-fire, albeit an Eight or Nine pound rim-fire.

Droplock.

--------------------
The best way to die.......is to live !

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Remington action [Re: Droplock]
      #287005 - 26/08/16 04:40 PM

If you happen to stumble over a Ruger SXS shotgun they apparently make a good rifle as they are like most Rugers, built like a T34 Tank.

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
Re: Remington action [Re: Droplock]
      #287035 - 27/08/16 09:21 AM

Droplock,
Double under lugs or double bites are formed by two very hefty recoil lugs with a large notch in each of them. A sliding bolt engages each of those notches simultaneously and along with the top lever engaging the barrel extension at the same time, that gives you triple bolting. The split bolt action on the 1900 Remington does not qualify.
Maybe more importantly the metal in them is not nearly strong enough to stand up to any kind of decent pressured double rifle cartridge. I am trying to help this fellow avoid a catastrophic blowup of a conversion gun and you are encouraging him to continue on with it. I have built many conversions on double shotgun frames and I know what I am talking about, how many have you built?
If you are going to offer advice you should at least check out your facts first. I know these Remington's are not strong enough to use for this purpose because I have owned several of them over the years and have researched them thoroughly. Before you go throwing advice around you should get some experience first.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3086

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com