Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Kodiak MK IV in 450 nitro express

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Kodiak MK IV in 450 nitro express [Re: NitroX]
      #283671 - 10/06/16 12:28 AM

I've owned two of the Pedersoli Kodiak Mk IV rifles chambered in .45-70. Both rifles were very accurate and perfectly regulated.

The latter rifle now belongs to a good friend. Just this past Saturday afternoon I got a text message from him:

"Just fired 8 shots with the Pedersoli. Rang steel 4 times at 100 yards and 4 times at 200 yards. That's a shootin' son of a bitch!"

YMMV
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Kodiak MK IV in 450 nitro express [Re: CptCurl]
      #283702 - 10/06/16 01:45 PM

Quote:

I've owned two of the Pedersoli Kodiak Mk IV rifles chambered in .45-70. Both rifles were very accurate and perfectly regulated.

The latter rifle now belongs to a good friend. Just this past Saturday afternoon I got a text message from him:

"Just fired 8 shots with the Pedersoli. Rang steel 4 times at 100 yards and 4 times at 200 yards. That's a shootin' son of a bitch!"

YMMV
Curl

Good to hear Roscoe.

My experience is with a .58 muzzle loader DR and from experience and also others comments, regulation is far more iffy. Later models than mine reportedly/allegedly were not even atempted to be regulated. I do still have to work on mine and try round balls which might be an improvement. I hope.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Dunhill
.224 member

Reged: 04/08/16
Loc: U.S.
Re: Kodiak MK IV in 450 nitro express [Re: NitroX]
      #286722 - 22/08/16 05:32 AM

The ML Kodiaks and the Kodiak Mk IV are as far apart in quality as what the price of them suggests. They are still not 10% the quality of what an English double is though. But, bearing in mind, they do fill a niche for those that want to get started.
I had no idea that they were making them in .450 3 1/4...
I had one re-chambered to .450 3 1/2 no.2....which is a better round for the Kodiak...lower pressure...and it shot better than any rifle I've ever had my hands on. Now, bearing in mind that mine may have been out of rare luck, and I always chalked it up to that.
I don't care if they have a cross-bolt now or not....the choice of the no. 2 cartridge is a better one. The frame size is lacking, at least in my mind, for the pressures the 3 1/4 produces. If they would bump it up to a 12 gauge frame size it would be ok, and would also solve the barrel contour problem.
I have no idea how they regulate them, although I heard they begin with laser bore sighting and fine-tune from that point in some way only they know of. Although this is just hearsay.
I would be tempted to buy another, if I were not into the bore-rifles now.
But I still think they should move up to a 12-gauge frame size. And the barrel contours need work, as they are a bit barrel heavy, but I found that, with the one I had, this 'at least' made for excellent leveling and follow-through.
Could not resist commenting, as it's interesting to me that Pedersoli says they have offered them now "for few years" and I've never heard a thing about it.

hoosier
.224 member

Reged: 11/07/11
Loc: Indiana,USA
Re: Kodiak MK IV in 450 nitro express [Re: DarylS]
      #286998 - 26/08/16 11:29 AM

My Kodiak in 45-70 has fixed barrels and the regulation from the factory with their load is VERY good indeed. Now I have developed macula degeneration and need a scope to shoot as I can no longer see the sights. I wish it had some sort of screw to adjust regulation because it won't shoot well with a scope mounted, still working on a load with good regulation with a scope.

--------------------
BigMike

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Kodiak MK IV in 450 nitro express [Re: hoosier]
      #287023 - 27/08/16 03:37 AM

Quote:

My Kodiak in 45-70 has fixed barrels and the regulation from the factory with their load is VERY good indeed. Now I have developed macula degeneration and need a scope to shoot as I can no longer see the sights. I wish it had some sort of screw to adjust regulation because it won't shoot well with a scope mounted, still working on a load with good regulation with a scope.

Try using the lightest scope you feel useful. Or a light dot sight, 1x. The more weight up there the more the regulation will be affected. Just a theoretical idea on the problem. I know from speaking to the chief regulating gunsmith at the Heym factory that their rifles are regulated for the sight setup for the rifle, ie the open sights OR a dot sight OR a scope. They said changing to any of the others would affect regulation. Some people's rifles seem to shoot OK if changing, theoretically they won't though.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9929

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com