Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Please Tell the Story of Your First Double Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Please Tell the Story of Your First Double Rifle
      #28681 - 31/03/05 12:50 PM

DOUBLE TROUBLE

By Roscoe B. Stephenson, III

I sit here in my easy chair, laptop at hand. My mortal existence is firmly rooted in middle age. Both children are grown, and if I live to double my age it will be expressed in three digits. Even so, I am obsessed with double guns; and above all, rifles. Indulge me as I reminisce.

Twenty-some years ago, in 1982 or 1983, I acquired my first double rifle. It took a lot of creative gun trading to get it. The Winchester 52 Sporter did it, just as I knew it would. It cinched the deal tight as a steel snare. Two and a half years I had haggled for that gun, and now I was carrying it home. Not the 52, mind you, the side by side 8mm. But I am getting ahead of the story. First let me tell the background.

If there could be a twelve step program for me and my ilk, we would start every meeting with the statement, “I am a hopeless guntrader.” But hopeless is the key word. There is no therapy or twelve step program. No support group exists. No halfway house beckons in the night to give comfort. There is no public sympathy or recognition for this malady. But oh, the temptation that lurks! Gun shows, gun stores, classified ad publications, glossy pictures in high-tone magazines with enticing ads and articles; and now, the Internet. I know, I’m preaching to the choir.

If you are reading this you are probably like me. Your disease went far beyond the Remington 700 and Winchester 70 phases. You are hooked on double guns: those beguiling hand-made witches’ sticks for which the sky is the limit in price. I don’t know about you; I drive older model cars and live in a modest home, but wow, look in that gun safe!

I got hooked on double rifles early on. Did anybody get the number of that truck that ran over me, ‘cause I didn’t even see it? Before I had ever even seen a double rifle I longed to own one. The 8mm was the first one I ever saw. Bobby, a shrewd gun trading friend of mine, came upon it when I was penniless in law school. I am told he had a “blood oath” with the guy he got it from not to let it go without offering it back. The deck was stacked heavily against me, but I swore to myself I would own that rifle.

After first seeing it, I went home to ponder my next move. This was a bad situation. My friend would not even price the 8mm. I had no clue. At that time Bobby and I were on about a weekly schedule of visits that usually developed into late night trading sessions. The following week I gathered together what I thought was a credible, if not impressive group of guns from my collection and trucked on down to my buddy’s house. The ritual rarely varied. We talked “pigs and chickens” for a couple hours over coffee before anybody would even broach the topic of guns. Then we worked our way into his gun room.

Now I don’t want to accuse anybody of underhanded tactics, but there has never been a trader like this guy. It was a cold western Virginia winter. He lives in a big old two story frame farm house without central heat. The kitchen and sitting room, where the small talk and coffee occur, is heated by a huge wood stove which he keeps somewhere between “bake” and “broil”. It’s got to be 90 degrees in there. Usually it is not before 10:00 p.m. that protocol allows the predator and prey to retire to the gun room, drowsy and softened up by the heat and small talk. The rest of the house, gun room included, is cold as a wedge. Bobby gives no outward sign of discomfort, but by now any normal human (me included) is shivering; blatantly tortured to near submission before the onset of any negotiation.

Gun trades are made by patience, skillful planning, pursuit, artful negotiation, and physical perseverance. I clinched my teeth to keep them from chattering. Playing my feint, I fondled the Brownings and Model 70’s. I ogled over his fine single shot rifles. I expressed interest in several guns and might have even proposed a trade or two, knowing they would not be of particular interest to him. Surely he doesn’t know how I covet that 8mm, I thought. Then it was time for my opening move. “Let me see your double rifle,” I calmly said.

Blazing heat and winter chill were only part of the hardship. The gun room was lit by a single bulb dangling by its cord from the ten foot ceiling. I am certain that when Bobby expected a visitor he deftly removed the 100 watt bulb to replace it with a 40. For this magic gun it didn’t matter. I took it in my hands and immediately forgot the cold. I didn’t need the light because I could feel the balance and grace of that wonderful old rifle. Trim and light with perfect dimensions. Lithe, vibrant, and animated it made me wonder whether the old German maker had secret skills in witchcraft. Had he somewhere hidden the spark of life in this object of wood and steel? My thoughts went blank. My negotiation strategy was out the window. I tried to calm myself. No decent guntrader or poker player should let his reaction be seen. But the poker face was gone with the strategy. I stood there with my thoughts transparent; an abject victim.

“What are you asking for this?” I mumbled, trying not to hyperventilate. Bobby gave no answer as he deftly shrugged off my inquiry with a new topic under the category “pigs and chickens”. I couldn’t even get him to price it. Bad sign. I took up the small talk, knowing the dance. In the back of my mind I am slowly regaining enough cognitive function to plan a frontal assault. After all, I had six or eight decent trade guns in the car.

At my next opening I took the direct approach and rolled out an offer of a goodly number of my beauties for the German 8mm. Most people would say that was a mistake. Never price another man’s gun. He owns it, so let him put a price on it first. In defense, I maintain that a man must sometimes rise to the occasion with drastic measures. This was such a time. To my dismay Bobby just said, “I don’t think I could do that.” No counter-offer. No dialogue. We have not even bracketed the range of negotiation, but I sure as heck have put a floor under the price. Trying to appear unruffled I put the coveted rifle back on the rack, engaged in the appropriate exchange of “pigs and chickens,” and then went home.

One skirmish does not determine the outcome of a looming battle. Bloodied, but not bowed, and with a stiff upper lip, I spent an inordinate amount of time pondering my next move. Obsessed with the 8mm, my most cherished guns started to look like trade goods. What was happening to me? The answer is simple. That old German gunmaker was a sorcerer, and I was under his spell.

Sadly, the preceding scenes of this story would repeat and repeat. Never would Bobby state a price or make a counter-offer. At each visit I upped the ante just to be rebuffed. Talk about bidding against yourself - I had no choice, though I knew better. The years went by, but the fire in my mind would not go out. I just couldn’t break that sorcerer’s spell. In fact, I haven’t yet.

My efforts may have been foolish, but I am no fool. I knew Bobby well. I could see that the German sorcerer owned me but not him. Bobby was above all a guntrader, and he would part with that rifle. I had to find a gun I could use to cast a spell on him. Just as one must fight fire with fire, I came to understand that witchcraft is the only weapon to use against witchcraft.

One February evening a couple of years after I had started the career of an aspiring young lawyer I was relaxing at home after supper when the phone rang. Gary, another local gun guru, was on the line wanting to know if I would be interested in a couple of Winchesters he had just rounded up. One was a pre-64 Model 70 in .300 Win. Mag. (a rare bird); the other a Model 52-C Sporter (another very rare bird). Bobby is a Winchester fan. As soon as I heard about the 52, I knew it would be the ticket. It was dark; snow was falling. Only an idiot would go out on a night like that. I told him I would be right over. I packed all my trade goods in my old Jeep CJ-5 and set out. I came home much lighter in trade goods but carrying the two Winchesters, both of which were in mint condition. I knew it was just a matter of time and tactics. The 52 was the witchcraft I needed.

In short order I sold the Model 70 to recoup some of my investment. The 52 I paraded around like a proud papa. Nobody would have thought I could entertain the notion of trading it. Word of the 52 got to Bobby, but I purposely would not take it to his home on my visits. He cautiously asked about it a time or two. Nibbles. Playing his game, I gave no indication I would consider letting it go. Now his poker mask had slipped. He was my quarry, and I savored the moment. He asked me to bring it the next time. Like Rocky Raccoon I am humming, “Danny boy, this is a showdown!”

Next visit I presented the bait, and he struck. “What would you have to have for it?” he asked. We sparred for a while, but the outcome was pre-determined. I ended up throwing in another rifle for change, but the 8mm was mine.

. . . To be continued. . .

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Re: Please Tell the Story of Your First Double Rifle [Re: CptCurl]
      #28685 - 31/03/05 01:55 PM

Curl, great story, especially in written form

Well I don't have a story comperable to that one, and I don't have the Captain's elegent prose, but here goes...

I have been interested in double barreled shotguns since I was a little kid. I don't know where it came from, perhaps too many Elmer Fudd cartoons... There was something about the lines, the two triggers, and the look of those two bores (as we all know from Nitro's avatar). But I knew when I got my own shotgun it would be a side by side shotgun. I grew up hunting grouse in the interior of Alaska, and my first gun was an old Stevens 311 12 guage.

Well not too long after my first side by side, that I saw "Out of Africa": now I knew there were side by side rifles!!! Well then I knew I absolutely NEEDED a double rifle. This was unfortunately reinforced by a visit to Holland and Holland's gunroom and picking up a copy of their catalogue.

Well, that was until I found out how much they costed I still remember when I tried to buy my first double rifle, I was all ready until I learned that the worker at the shop had got the price wrong. I was all set to pay $1,400 for a 470nitro (thinking well that's a lot of money for college student, but heck its a double rifle), and then the guy finally looked up the price and then said, "Oops, I'm sorry. I got the price wrong, its $14,000 not 1,400." Well, I was still learning about double rifles...

Some years later I was in grad school in Europe and I was determined to buy myself a graduation gift. I thought I would finally get a nice replacement for that old 311. As I looked into shotguns, I found out that new double rifles were not as expensive as the classic British rifles I had seen back in the US. I settled on looking for a side by side 9.3x74r. It fit my price range, the ammunition I could afford/reload, and it seemed like a good useable calibre for North American hunting. I searched gunshops for about a year and looked at all the 9.3x74r rifles I could find: Chapuis, Demas, Gaucher, Merkel, Zoli, Lauronna, Heym, Rizinni, Sabbatti, Rippamonti, etc. I did a small tour of Saint Etienne, the historic French gunmaking region. I visited Rippamonti, Gaucher, and Chapuis. I decided upon Chapuis since it had the most established reputation and I liked their rifle. After some "teething problems" me and my little Cassandra are getting along just fine. Her and I got a nice little spike buck last fall...

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #28686 - 31/03/05 02:01 PM

Story

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Please Tell the Story of Your First Double Rifle [Re: Marrakai]
      #28687 - 31/03/05 02:44 PM

Marakai

So that 'old girl' was your first double rifle. You like to start off the hard way !

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Please Tell the Story of Your First Double Rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #28694 - 31/03/05 09:06 PM

First one I actually owned myself! Talk about being chucked in the deep end!

Actually, I am most fortunate to have a few mates who used doubles extensively, back to the buffalo days in the Top End, so I had been playing with theirs for a while before acquiring the Alex Henry. By the time I wrote that story, I already had several more... Incurable!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Please Tell the Story of Your First Double Rifle [Re: Marrakai]
      #28713 - 01/04/05 02:08 AM

Sorry to say the story of my first double is not a interesting as the second, but much more thought went into buying the first. After much analysis of my situation I chose a new-in-box .375H&H merkel 140. I had shot an under-weight .470 NE double and new I could not take the recoil if I wanted to shoot much. Also, my gun dealer took in 5 of my other rifles and shotguns as trade so I only had to shell out $5000 even. I also liked the idea of a warrenty one gets on a new gun. As far as .375H&H, I wanted a cartridge that was veritle and really easy to reload. There you go. I'm already eyeing up a third: a 30-06 chapuis

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #28715 - 01/04/05 02:43 AM

My first double is on this board already. I am a new convert and like a lot of born again types a fanatic.

My interest was first piqued when I read an article by Col Allison in an Aussie hunting mag. He had always wanted a double and when booking a Zim elephant hunt bought a vintage .450/.400 and hunted it in the classic fashion. This was in the early eighties.

Since then I had been on the look out for a very reasonably priced double. Very reasonably means I had no money. $3K was my target. The trouble was the price had moved to about $7K and I thought that too much.

I always wanted a big bore vintage double, a .450 or .470. A .500 would be better. If I settled for a smaller bore I wanted in scope sighted (making the sign of the cross to ward off evil spirits ).

With that objective in mind when I came across an open sighted .375 I turned it down. It was $1600 ..... BTW I was only shooting a .222 back then so a .222 to a .500 was going to be quite a jump. Ended up buying a .30-06 BA and have used it a lot. Will always regret not buying that .375 but that is usual with hindsight.

Meanwhile the double prices went up further and eventually took out a short-term loan and purchased my modest "Indian Gentleman" since christened "Zabardast" ("awesome") in .450 No2 NE. So I eventually got what I was looking for. I plan to keep this rifle for my grandchildren.

Previously I used a BA .375 so so far a water buffalo is the only serious big game for the .450, but another one or two is planned this year and hopefully each year . Maybe a banteng and definitely scrub bulls. Another cape buffalo. Then I want to find some serious ivory for it ...... It is hungry.

A second in 9.3mm is almost here (it is hurting the wait but very soon ) and plans for a .577. The 9.3 is planned to be a pig and deer rifle, especially for any brush hunting.

It is a disease and I am spreading it with everyone's help here at NE.com as much as I can.

(Good topic for a post BTW)

Edited to add:

I almost forgot. The first double I ever played with in 1982 was a nice little under and over from Frankonia. A .22 Magnum over a .5.6x50mm Rimmed. A very accurate little rifle and perfect for a lot of my hunting at home. Except it was too nice and the abuse I would have given it would not have been appropriate.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (01/04/05 03:01 AM)

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Re: Please Tell the Story of Your First Double Rifle [Re: NitroX]
      #28720 - 01/04/05 03:31 AM

My first double is a german 8x57r scalloped boxlock. I inherited it and a 9.3x57 mauser at the same time. I did not handload at the time so it was pretty hard to find amo for the pair, but I eventually came across 40ish rounds for 8mm, 186 gr and 90ish round of 286gr original kynoch for 9.3.

The 8mm did not regulate that well with the load, that coupled with the fact that the 9.3 shoot 1.5" at 200m pretty much sealed it to a back up gun.

I hunted bear and moose with 9.3 and took around 30 bears and a half dozen moose with it. But one day when going out for a deer drive with some freinds I forgot the 9.3 ammo. I used the 8mm that day, and most days since. It came up on running deer like lightning I was getting off two shots before any of my friends could find the deer in there scopes. I took 2 spike bucks and a 150 class 10 pointer that day. All at under 100m and all running. I was in love.

My dad has a 1200 acre hobby farm on a plateau with a lake in western quebec. The 8mm lives there now. Getting guns acrooss the border is a pain and it just feels right to have it live in a gun safe under the floor boards. It takes a couple of deer a season and from ammunition depletion, I'm pretty sure my dad uses it on coyotes and other pests.

Now all I need is a 9.3x74r, a 450/400 3", and a 577NE. Oh well I guess the bite has me as well.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Please Tell the Story of Your First Double Rifle [Re: Rell]
      #28725 - 01/04/05 03:59 AM

I had a Ruger #1 in .375 that continually slipped the extractor over the rim. It also kicked too much. At a local gun show a fellow had a 450 Nitro for Black that he wanted $900.00 for so, thinking that anything was better than the Ruger, we traded. I had to throw in a old Redfield wide angle though.

I had no idea what a Nitro for Black was but had hunted with a 470 Wilkes that belonged to a PH I knew a couple of times when I was in Africa. I had never shot anything other than a Mopani tree with it though.

The rifle was a Patton, made Scotland and was regulated for a 360 grain bullet, I believe. It was a sweet litttle rifle weighing all of 8.5 lbs with a horn butt.

I traded it for a H & H 465 that was trashed but had good barrels. A good trade but I wish now I would have worked harder at raising the $3,000 for the Holland and kept the Patton.

The person I traded it off to sold it to a PH in Zim who couldn't hand load or find ammo so he used 480 grain Kynoch. He shot it off the face in a couple of years and ended up selling to some farmer.

I tried to run it down once when in Zim but the farmer had died and no one knew what happened to the Patton.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

foxfire
.375 member

Reged: 25/11/04
Loc: Long Island N.Y.,
Re: Please Tell the Story of Your First Double Rifle [Re: mickey]
      #28729 - 01/04/05 06:10 AM

I guess I'd been looking for a double rifle for many years. Unfortunately I was looking for a left handed double rifle. In November I finally found a left handed Krieghoff 375 H&H.
The gun was at Krieghoff in Pa. but owned by another dealer. I drove to Krieghoff to see the gun. I was sadly disappointed in what I saw. The gun looked well used, in poor shape, old and tired.

The people at Krieghoff said "why look for a left handed double, find a great right handed double and we will restock it left handed".

After a relatively short search I found my double. A Krieghoff with three sets of barrels. They were 7x65R, 9.3x74R and a 470 nitro. All with 1.5-6 Ziess Diavari scopes and in almost new condition and at a great price.

Krieghoff has since put on a left handed stock and I love it. I'm still getting used to it and working out the few bugs it has but what a great rifle I finally found.

--------------------
No good deed goes unpunished

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 135 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2844

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com