Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 9.3 questions..again!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
9.3 questions..again!
      #286632 - 20/08/16 02:56 PM

I`m in the process of adding a Mauser 9.3 x 62 to the stable and was hoping that the guru`s here can advise as to how much frigging about (cost) to chamber up to the 9.3x64 Brenneke?

Magazine length etc..what needs to be done.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Wanabebwana
.300 member

Reged: 11/01/13
Loc: Canada
Re: 9.3 questions..again! [Re: gryphon]
      #286658 - 21/08/16 03:07 AM

Rechamber,open up bolt face, extractor and receiver rails, and feeding ramp. May require slight lengthening of magazine (you did not specify which action/rifle you are converting. The cost benefit of conversion are questionable. .375 is min cal for most safaris and ammo is not as readily available as 9.3x62 which is making a comeback. Loaded to equal pressures the 9.3x62 holds it's own and allows an extra cartridge in mag. If handloading is not an option the 9.3x66 (.370 Sako) would at most require a slight lengthening of mag. depending on action used. IMHO not worth it. Better to put the conversion costs towards a .375 Ruger or H&H if you need the extra power.

gryphon
.450 member

Re: 9.3 questions..again! [Re: Wanabebwana]
      #286672 - 21/08/16 06:59 AM

Thank you Wanabebwana Its not about extra power its simply that the `64 is the one that I want.

Some want the pony others want the `vette.

Power? I looked at a 416 Rigby yesterday in Mod 70 advertised for $2200 and thought for 5 seconds...nah I want the `64.

The rifle to be is a Mauser M12 in 9.3 x 64 NIB but if it gets to be in the " too much fucking about basket" I will have a rethink.
I actually thought that the process was far simpler,not so!

Is there another calibre/donor better suited to start with?

--------------------

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #286674 - 21/08/16 07:28 AM

Gryphon,
my 9.3x64mm is on a Mark X standard length action (non-magnum head size) I bought back in the early 1980's, it is fitted with a Donnelly? barrel from the States. My gunsmith only did minor work to the bolt & rails to feed the fatter round. This action didn't require any work to the magazine as the round designed by Mr Brenneke was made to fit in a standard M98 action originally with modification. Rebel gun works Phone: (07) 3391 6744 normally stock the brass - but it is only made by RWS for some unknown reason!
My dies were made by Peter Davern down your way, if he's still going he'd be an old fella now - wonderful gentleman he was to deal with! Apart from that we have the projectiles from Woodleigh & ADI powders, the loading data in the ADI site is woefully underpowered & shows up as the equivalent of the 9.3x62 - which is well & truly exceeds.
It will stand toe to toe with the .375 H&H & no one will be able to tell the difference when it hits game.
I've used (270gn Speers at 2100fps) reduced loads on pigs & rusa deer. Just flattens things & bores a good hole thru pigs end to end.
If you go down that path let me know I'll post my loads.
Still got a long way to go on the daughter's house yet, so until then mate I'm working & only wishing I could get out more often!
Hi Ho......it's off to work I go!
Cheers all
93x64mm

gryphon
.450 member

Re: 9.3 questions..again! [Re: 93x64mm]
      #286676 - 21/08/16 10:32 AM

Ah that answers a bit more of the puzzle.
Do you reckon then that the 9.3 x 62 mag length is enough for the `64 bullet?

Good to hear from ya.

--------------------

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
      #286683 - 21/08/16 01:21 PM

Gryphon, the 2mm shouldn't make any difference unless your magazine is already a tight fit for the 9.3x62, however the Mauser M12 has a barrel that is not removable, as in it is not threaded. Some other process has been used such as a shrink fit I believe but Mauser (Blaser) won't divulge that information. In other words re-cutting a chamber is not an option. The ADI manual as stated above gives load information that is very under-powered, and when I contacted them as to why that was the case, I received a really dumb answer that explained nothing. There is however plenty of re-loading data on the internet and the Nosler manual has data as well, so does Nick Harvey's book. Depending on your barrel length the 9.3x64 is good for about 250-300 fps over the 9.3x62 which makes it a worthwhile conversion. It is a super round with interesting history, don't let anybody tell you otherwise. If you want to do it than go for it.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 9.3 questions..again! [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #286685 - 21/08/16 02:04 PM

My 9.3x63 rifle using published Data has 286gr. Speer Dual Cores running 2,520fps. Any more would be just gravy!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

gryphon
.450 member

#286694 - 21/08/16 02:49 PM

Quote:

It is a super round with interesting history, don't let anybody tell you otherwise. If you want to do it than go for it.

Waidmannsheil.

Yes its been on my agenda for quite a few years now.

Re the barrel thats another problem (unknown) dealt with.I didnt realise the M12 was a shrink fit at all.

Voere chamber for the `64 but I dont think its the rifle the M12 is or was hoping to be..
I can always get the M12 then continue in search of the `64 buy or build.No one ever has enough lead throwers!

--------------------

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#286696 - 21/08/16 04:06 PM

I couldn't agree more, there are so many interesting cartridges that are really good.
The M12 is a very nice rifle for the price and the stock dimensions are well proportioned, at least they were for me. I owned one in 9.3x62 for about a week but I could not get used to the safety. It is supposed to be like a Model 70 except it isn't. On a Model 70 the safety operates through 90 degrees, 45 degrees forward and 45 degrees backward or thereabouts of a 0 degree line which is at right angles to the center line of the action. On the M12 it operates forward 45 degrees but backward about 80 degrees which makes it very awkward to flick off the safe position. If you are used to the Model 70 type you will struggle as you have to actually move the lever sideways first before moving it forward. If you try to flick it off like on a Model 70 by simply moving your thumb forward you will find the safety lever doesn't move as it is to far back at that steep angle. As I have several Model 70's which I have been using for years I struggled to get used to it and sold it to a mate who wanted to take up deer hunting. He has no problems as it is his first gun and has never used a Model 70. Otherwise the M12 is a very nice rifle, several chaps in our Hunting club have them and they love them, very accurate as well although with a lot of shooting the polymer magazine cracks. Mauser recognize this problem and immediately give you a new one for free, apparently it is only with the 9.3x62 that this happens.
By the way, that same safety is used on the current M98 Mauser's as sold by Mauser themselves as well as on the Rigby Big Game model.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

#286698 - 21/08/16 05:35 PM

Thanks for that interesting info Matt. You have probably read that I have owned a Mod 70 Winny for 35 or is it 36 years..carried her today..again!
I never flick the safety off,I always try to grasp between thumb and forefinger and ease it off,this swallows any audible clicking. I started this 30 odd years ago when I flicked it off at an unaware sambar hind that immediately looked straight down my gun barrel at me at 80 yards...oops!

I will of course have a look at the M12,I reckon I can get over the safety but may not like it.
I did read of the fako mag too and didnt like that idea either.
For the price circa 2G`s its half the price of some of the Euro`s out there.I own Sakos but cant see myself buying another new one at todays prices.

Getting used to some guns can be ordinary..I used a Blaser at one time O/Sea`s and fcuk me what a shit thing that was ha ha.Still shot my deer though.

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

#286699 - 21/08/16 05:37 PM

"By the way, that same safety is used on the current M98 Mauser's as sold by Mauser themselves as well as on the Rigby Big Game model."

That M98 is out of my league at the recco prices!

--------------------

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
      #286703 - 21/08/16 07:50 PM

gryphon; this would be very good candidate for yours project: https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=77451

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Re: 9.3 questions..again! [Re: Igorrock]
      #286705 - 21/08/16 08:31 PM

Gryphon, I too use the thumb and forefinger method if about to shoot at a beast at close range that is unaware of my presence but that is not the situation I was talking about. Even the Mauser safety can be manipulated easily in that manner when required. The problem arises when a fast throw up shot is to be taken on a deer already on the move after being lifted out of its bed etc., where the small audible click would not be noticed by the deer anyway. Many other shooters may have no problem with it at all however for me that safety is not conducive to fast throw up shooting. I just mentioned it as something to look at for anyone potentially purchasing an M12. Otherwise the rifle is very nice.

By the way Simplex Engineering also make dies for the 9.3x64.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

#286726 - 22/08/16 06:34 AM

I`m gonna look at the safety,tar for dies heads up too.

Igorrock thank you for that link too I will explore.

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

#286737 - 22/08/16 10:08 AM

Now this is a deal I thought.

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=6074638

--------------------

Wanabebwana
.300 member

#286796 - 23/08/16 10:58 AM

Voere 2165 with Mauser 98 action is available in 9.3x64.
Rim diameter is .496, smaller than standard magnum but larger than .470 standard Mauser bolt face.
On top of previously mentioned mods you will need two cross bolts, a barrel mounted recoil lug and a recoil pad.

http://www.voere.com/en/waffentechnik/jagdwaffen/repetierer-2155.html#specification-2165

gryphon
.450 member

#286810 - 23/08/16 06:33 PM

Thank you. I have looked at the Voere range..Its not quite THE one and also its not a Mauser M12 But its in the 'maybe' category so far.

--------------------

Wanabebwana
.300 member

#286827 - 24/08/16 12:43 AM

You're right about the M12 not being a 98. The basic 98 rifle offered by Mauser today cost 5x as much and the 98 action is used only on their finest rifles as it is with all other top rifle makers.

https://www.mauser.com/en/products/m98/m98/

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3010

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com