Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Warrigal

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Warrigal
      #281139 - 18/04/16 11:32 PM

Just checked the status of the dingo in Queensland, to find it is protected native fauna in parks and conservation reserves but regarded as a pest species in the rural context. In the Northern Territory dingos have been protected since 2002, although feral dogs are fair game. Nobody carries a chromosome karyotyping kit in their hunting pack however...

While chasing deer in Queensland recently I got the drop on a pair of dogs that were checking out the cattle paddock on the property I was hunting. I was sitting in deep shade at the edge of the lantana overlooking a partially cleared slope when I saw them at about 300 metres, inbound.

Took a couple of pics as they approached, then figured out their most likely path and hunkered down beside a tree-trunk hoping for a close-up. As they got nearer however I realised the dog was a very large alpha male, and could be a serious threat to the three young calves on the place, and the ten or so more expected to drop in the coming weeks. Swapping the camera for the Ruger I closed the bolt and waited patiently for events to unfold.

As luck would have it, they walked right onto me. The bitch saw me at about 8 metres (I later paced it) and propped. He was a couple of metres behind her and never saw me at all.

At the shot, the bitch leapt into high gear and instantly disappeared in the lantana: only fleeting flashes of red could be seen for a hundred metres or so up the gully till she finally vanished. I figured without the big male she would be no threat to the calves, and I doubt they will see her again in that valley anyway!

Those awesome Great Dividing Range dingos are a far cry from the modest specimens we see here in the Top End, in every respect.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Warrigal [Re: Marrakai]
      #281146 - 19/04/16 03:16 AM

That's a good sized one by the looks of him. Sure muscular through the shoulders.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Warrigal [Re: DarylS]
      #281153 - 19/04/16 06:08 AM

Marrakai
Haven't heard that term used for the dingo for a very long time!
My father in law used to call then in to get within shooting range as a young man.
The mother in law relayed a story to me that one night early in her marriage after she & her husband went to bed & fell asleep she could hear a dingo calling in the distance. The call got stronger & stronger, so the obviously the dingo was coming closer & closer till it appeared to be in the room. She was by now wide awake & petrified to find a dingo had somehow got in their house!
Reaching over to wake her hubby up, she realised that hubby was the 'dingo' & was calling them in & that he was dreaming - fast asleep.
Needless to say the father in law got a rude awakening!
His part of the dream always ends with lining up this big Warrigal only to be woken just as he's about to pull the trigger.......always the one that gets away!
And no, that's no tall tale either.
God Bless you Mary - may you rest in peace!
Cheers
93x64mm

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Warrigal [Re: 93x64mm]
      #281157 - 19/04/16 06:57 AM

Quote:

Marrakai
Haven't heard that term used for the dingo for a very long time!
My father in law used to call then in to get within shooting range as a young man.
The mother in law relayed a story to me that one night early in her marriage after she & her husband went to bed & fell asleep she could hear a dingo calling in the distance. The call got stronger & stronger, so the obviously the dingo was coming closer & closer till it appeared to be in the room. She was by now wide awake & petrified to find a dingo had somehow got in their house!
Reaching over to wake her hubby up, she realised that hubby was the 'dingo' & was calling them in & that he was dreaming - fast asleep.
Needless to say the father in law got a rude awakening!
His part of the dream always ends with lining up this big Warrigal only to be woken just as he's about to pull the trigger.......always the one that gets away!
And no, that's no tall tale either.
God Bless you Mary - may you rest in peace!
Cheers
93x64mm

Great story and hilarious too boot..

That looks to be a big dog..congrats..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: Warrigal [Re: Ripp]
      #281161 - 19/04/16 07:31 AM

I dont know why they are protected ,they are not native to Australia, and wiped out the mainland Devils and Thylacine ,and no doubt other Native Fauna and should be removed from Fraser Island

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Warrigal [Re: 500Boswell]
      #281165 - 19/04/16 09:38 AM

Quote:

I dont know why they are protected ,they are not native to Australia, and wiped out the mainland Devils and Thylacine ,and no doubt other Native Fauna and should be removed from Fraser Island

Correct. They are found in the Solomon Islands as well. Smaller than the ones here but that could just be the diet.

Good that you got one Marrakai. The female might not be back but she would tear into new born and very young calves. You got the main menace for sure.

Edited by Rule303 (19/04/16 09:41 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Warrigal [Re: Rule303]
      #281250 - 21/04/16 02:08 AM

Good dingo. Did you take the pelt?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

gwh
.333 member

Reged: 28/01/08
Loc: Cairns Australia
Re: Warrigal [Re: NitroX]
      #281306 - 21/04/16 12:29 PM

That's a nice dog,about the same size as one I rolled with the 375/300 over the weekend ( he was about 30 kg, heavy for North Queensland).

--------------------
Hunt hard, shoot straight

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim"

Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, 1910

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Warrigal [Re: gwh]
      #281557 - 26/04/16 08:05 AM

Thanks for the comments gentlemen.

John:
Remember I was chasing stags: by the time I set up the self-timed photo the sun was creeping across the landscape, and I had hills to climb!
In truth it was still a summer pelt, so not really tempted.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Warrigal [Re: Marrakai]
      #286428 - 14/08/16 09:32 AM

Well done, always a good trophy of opportunity.
My Missus called last night telling of how a pack of Dingo howled around her a she tended to a Horse in the back paddock . Also that a game camera had some footage ...

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Warrigal [Re: ozhunter]
      #286433 - 14/08/16 10:28 AM

Now that you mentioned a trail cam,I picked up a card during the week with a yellow visitor on it..second pic shows the stag wallow in day light.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Warrigal [Re: gryphon]
      #286438 - 14/08/16 12:10 PM

Do they run in packs large enough to bring down Sambar Stags?

--------------------
Daryl

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #286441 - 14/08/16 01:21 PM

Trail Cams a fabulous tools

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Warrigal [Re: ozhunter]
      #286448 - 14/08/16 05:01 PM

D they do run in packs and can do though I`m not sure if they actually bother with big old stags when they can run calves and hinds to ground far easier.

Like a lion,that can handle dagga`s but prefer the lesser units as easier prey the old dingo is much the same.

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

#286449 - 14/08/16 07:52 PM

Quote:

Do they run in packs large enough to bring down Sambar Stags?

What gryph said. Just some interesting info about true Dingos, not crossbreeds. They are normally cowards, that is a person can yell throw sticks/stones and a pack that has not been fed by humans will normally bugger off. Hence the derisive term "Dingo" or "yellow dog" used to refer to a coward. Also they can put a canine tooth through a steel cap boot, pick up a wallaby and carry it for 2 miles, head high so no sent is left on the ground.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Warrigal [Re: Rule303]
      #286458 - 15/08/16 02:19 AM

TKS - so - quite powerful jaws and neck muscles for what amounts to an average sized dog - up to about 65lbs for a big male.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #286460 - 15/08/16 04:52 AM

Quote:

TKS - so - quite powerful jaws and neck muscles for what amounts to an average sized dog - up to about 65lbs for a big male.

Looking at that first pic in the beginning of this thread, they look like they can certainly lock on and hold ...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Warrigal [Re: Ripp]
      #286463 - 15/08/16 06:24 AM

Rule303 I dont know about the smaller Qld wallaby species but a dog would be hard pressed to carry a Vic wallaby,they are a heavier nuggety little bastard with bucks around forty pounds..geezuz I know blokes that couldn't carry forty pounds ha ha.

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Re: Warrigal [Re: gryphon]
      #286485 - 15/08/16 04:27 PM

Quote:

Rule303 I dont know about the smaller Qld wallaby species but a dog would be hard pressed to carry a Vic wallaby,they are a heavier nuggety little bastard with bucks around forty pounds..geezuz I know blokes that couldn't carry forty pounds ha ha.

Gryph got that information years ago from a Victorian dingo expert, the bloke who had his steel cap perforated by a Dingo. Like you I do not know if he was talking about high country Wallaby's or outback types but have seen then carrying the rear leg of a poddy calf around his enclosures with out a problem.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3344

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com