Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The .222 Remington Story...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
The .222 Remington Story...
      #286038 - 02/08/16 11:44 PM

https://www.americanrifleman.org/article...m_campaign=0816

The author’s 1952-production Sako L46, chambered in .222 Rem. and topped with a Weaver K12 scope, is still accurate more than six decades after it was made.

The .222 Rem. cartridge, designed by Mike Walker of Remington, was introduced in 1950 in that company’s Model 722 rifle. The gun was only a couple of years old at the time, and it would soon be joined by others chambering the new cartridge. Sako, which began exporting its L46 rifle to the United States in 1949, added the .222 shortly after the gun’s introduction. My early example in .218 Bee has the thin barrel typical for those rifles, but my 1952-vintage .222 has the optional heavy barrel for that caliber.

Other rifles of both foreign and domestic manufacture followed, and finding an accurate one was not difficult. Among those I have shot through the years, Remington’s Models 722, 700, 600, 788 and 40X ranked highly in accuracy, as did several Sako L46 and L461 rifles.

The author and his custom Martini in .222 Super await the appearance of an unsuspecting woodchuck.

The Marlin 322 built on the Sako L46 action was quite nice, but accuracy was short-lived because of accelerated wear when its Micro-Groove rifling was subjected to jacketed bullets at high velocities. Other great .222s were the Browning Hi-Power and the Harrington & Richardson 317, both on the Sako L461 action, and the Anschutz Model 1533. The Savage 340 was the first economy-priced rifle offered in .222 Rem.

The .222 Rem. was the second commercially developed cartridge of its caliber to have a rimless case (the .22 Newton was first). And whereas most earlier .22 center-fires were descendants of existing cases of larger calibers, the .222 case was brand new. Early in its development, a 48-gr. bullet was loaded, but when performance on varmints proved to be unsatisfactory, a 50-gr. bullet with a thinner jacket became standard. A metal-case bullet of the same weight was also available. With a velocity of 3200 f.p.s., the .222 offered greater range than the .22 Hornet and longer barrel/accuracy life than the .220 Swift.

In addition to taking the varmint-shooting world by storm, the cartridge soon dominated a new shooting game called modern benchrest. Mike Walker, one of the founders of Int’l Benchrest Shooters, first shot the cartridge in competition at the Johnstown, N.Y., gun club during the summer of 1950. The rifle, built by him, had a heavy barrel and was on a Model 722 action. His five, five-shot groups at 100 yds. averaged 0.35", which was not bad in those days. As the accuracy of rifles and shooters improved, so did the .222, with sub-quarter-minute groups eventually becoming commonplace. The .219 Donaldson Wasp, .220 Wilson Arrow and other favorites eventually faded away.

The rifle Walker used in that first match would evolve into Remington’s 40X target rifle. In .222 Rem., it was guaranteed to consistently average 0.45" and smaller for five shots at 100 yds., making it the most accurate factory rifle available at the time. Up until about the mid-1960s, the 40X and custom rifles on the Model 722 action dominated benchrest competition, but they began losing the accuracy race with the introduction of rifles built around custom actions from barrelmaker Ed Shilen and several others.

Benchrest was not the only competitive game in which the “Triple-Deuce” excelled. In 1960, the Remington Model 760 pump gun in .222 was adopted by the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit at Ft. Benning, Ga., for use in 100-meter international running deer competition, where a moving target is exposed for only a few seconds. The highly modified rifles wore Redfield Int’l target sights and heavy, match-grade barrels. The first win came in 1961 when the Army team took gold during the double-shot aggregate at the world championship matches in Oslo, Norway. Back at Ft. Benning that same year, Sgt. Norman Skarpness won the single-shot (50 single-shots) championship while SFC Loyd G. Crow, Jr., took first honors in the double-shot (50 double-shots).

I doubt if many of today’s shooters are aware of the existence of a rimmed version of the .222 Rem. called the .222 Super. Martini-Henry rifles were used by various Australian armed forces and police forces beginning in 1871 with the .577/450 Martini-Henry cartridge and later ending with the .303 British. They were too large and heavy for comfortable use by young cadets at various schools and military academies, so a rifle on a smaller version of the Martini action was adopted. Chambered for a rimmed cartridge called the .310 Greener, they were manufactured by several English firms, including BSA Ltd.

When the Martini Cadet rifles became obsolete, the Australian government sold thousands to hunters and shooters in that country, many of which were converted to .22 Hornet and .218 Bee. Demand for higher velocity prompted the Super Cartridge Co. Pty. Ltd. of Maribyrnong, Victoria, to begin making a .222 with the same rim diameter as the .38 Spl. revolver cartridge. That made the case compatible with the extractor of the Martini rifle. Rifles were also exported to the United States where Ye Olde Hunter, a popular U.S. mail-order firm, priced a complete rifle at $15 and the action alone at $8.

After buying one of the actions, I learned that Williams Gunsight Co. of Davison, Mich., was importing .222 Super cases, and quickly stocked up. Then, my friend Dave Talley—an accomplished machinist and fine custom stockmaker who later made his mark manufacturing scope mounts—turned my $10 barrel blank from Herter’s, a stock and fore-end from Bishop, and a Unertl Varmint scope in 12X into in a fine little single-shot rifle in .222 Super.

The .222 Rem. is parent to other offspring as well, with the .222 Rem. Mag. introduced in 1958 being the first and the .22 TCM from Rock Island Armory being the latest. Others include the .221 Fireball, 5.56/.223 Rem., .17 Rem, .17 Fireball, .204 Ruger, .300 Blackout and the European-developed 5.6x50 mm Mag., which was introduced during the 1960s for use on roe deer.

There have also been a few wildcats with the 6x47 mm on the .222 Rem. Mag. case once used by benchrest shooters in Sporter Class where 6 mm and larger cartridges are required. It became popular enough to inspire Federal to offer unprimed, nickel-plated cases. Today the 6x45 mm is more popular due to the abundance of .223 Rem. brass. Black Hills loads 6x45 mm ammunition, and Les Baer Custom chambers the AR-15 for it. Also on the .223 Rem. case were the TCU line of unprimed cases in 6 mm, 6.5 mm and 7 mm.

Back to the .222 Rem., companies presently listing the ammunition include Federal, Hornady, HSM, Nosler, Prvi Partisan, Remington, Sellier & Bellot and Winchester. Plenty to keep the thousands of rifles out there active in the varmint fields, with one caveat. Production during the past few years has been devoted to more popular cartridges, resulting in a scarcity of .222 Rem. ammunition.

That should eventually change for the better, but in the meantime, the .222 has always been a great candidate for handloading. A top-ranked benchrest shooter who used a 50-gr. bullet once commented on using IMR-4198 for so long his powder measure adjustment was permanently stuck in place at 20.5 grs. Holding a strong second place in popularity was Bruce Hodgdon’s first lot of military-surplus BL-C. Its eventual replacement, BL-C(2), never became as popular. H322 and Reloder 7 have long been excellent choices and, as newer propellants go, Reloder 10X and VihtaVuori N130 are worthy of a try. CFE 223 is a good choice with 50-gr. and heavier bullets. Any good, small rifle primer will light the fire, but I am partial to the Federal GM205M and the CCI BR4.

When unprimed cases cannot be found, simply run .223 Rem. brass through a .222 Rem. full-length resizing die and trim to a length of 1.690". Either virgin or once-fired cases should be used.

The .222 Rem. ruled over benchrest competition until the 1970s when it and the 6x47 mm were replaced by the 6 mm PPC. In the varmint fields it eventually lost out to the .223 Rem., mainly because cartridges adopted by the U.S. military have historically run roughshod over their competition. Those in the market for a new varmint rifle chambered for an extremely accurate and mild-mannered cartridge will logically choose the .223 Rem. due to more variety in factory ammunition and more availability of cases for reloading. But those of us who already own rifles in .222 Rem., and enjoy reliving the past, would not dream of switching.

A World Record Group

Despite the 6 mm PPC’s dominance in 100- and 200-yd. benchrest competition for nearly three decades, it has yet to topple the .222’s firm hold on the world’s smallest group. That accomplishment was shot by Mac McMillan on Sept. 23, 1973, during a NBSRA-sanctioned match at the Skunk Creek rifle range near Phoenix, Ariz. Chambered in .222 Rem., the 10½-lb. Light Varmint class rifle had an action built by Mac, a barrel made by brother Pat and a fiberglass stock made by another brother, Gale. Wally Siebert had bumped the magnification of its 12X scope to 24X. Custom dies were used to swage 50-gr. bullets using J4 jackets. McMillan’s load consisted of the Remington case, 23.5 grs. of Hodgdon BL-C (Lot No. 1) and an experimental primer made by CCI that would become the BR4.

McMillan’s five-shot, 100-yd. group was measured by match officials with a dial caliper modified by the addition of a clear plexiglass plate containing a .22-cal. reticle. All bullet holes in the paper target fit inside the reticle for an incredible group-size measurement of 0.0000". For the first time in recorded history, the perfect “one-hole” group had been shot in registered competition. The group was next measured with a special 60X microscope capable of accuracy to 0.0001", and it still came out at 0.0000". As required for official recognition, the target was then mailed around to seven members of the NBRSA records committee and they unanimously agreed on 0.009" as the size of the group. The group stood for 40 years until Mike Stinnett beat it by 0.002" with a 30 PPC in 2013.

—Layne Simpson

Those Rechambered .22 Hornets

During the 1950s and 1960s, practically every varmint shooter in the country wanted a rifle in .222 Rem. Factory rifles were available, but for less money that old .22 Hornet standing in the corner could be rechambered. And many were, not only by one-man shops, but by bigger operations such as Griffin & Howe. Two of the more popular for the conversion were Winchester’s Models 54 and 70. Whereas the rifling twist rate of 1:16" in their barrels was usually a bit slow for best accuracy with bullets heavier than 45 grs. at .22 Hornet velocities, the 50-gr. bullet originally loaded by Remington in the .222 Rem. was marginally stabilized in flight due to its higher velocity. Some rifles shot it accurately, others did not.

The Model 70 I have had for about 25 years (opposite page) is a standard grade with a 24" barrel. A previous owner had P.O. Ackley modify it soon after the .222 Rem. was introduced. Making the change required making a new magazine follower and modifying the bolt so that, as it moves forward, a hinged arm drops down to push the tiny .22 Hornet cartridge from a magazine capable of handling cartridges as large as the .375 H&H Mag. When enlarging the bolt face for the .222, the pusher was eliminated.

Barrel groove diameter of the Winchester rifles usually measures a nominal 0.223", and since they deliver acceptable accuracy with the 0.224" bullets of .22 Hornet factory ammunition, the same can be expected for bullets of the same diameter from the .222 Rem. The 1:16" twist does place limitations on bullet length. As an example, the Sierra 50-gr. BlitzKing measuring 0.780" long is unstable in flight while the shorter (0.633" long) Sierra 50-gr. SMP is quite accurate.

Dropping back to 40 grs. and lighter is not a total solution because some are quite long for their weight, and only slight differences can matter. My Model 70 is extremely accurate with the Nosler 40-gr. FB Tipped that measures 0.670", but groups open up with the Hornady 40-gr. V-MAX measuring a slightly longer 0.680" and even more so with the 0.700" long Nosler 40-gr. Ballistic Tip. The Hornady 35-gr. NTX at 0.725" and the Nosler 40-gr. Lead Free Ballistic Tip at 0.780" won’t stay on a 16x16" target at 100 yds.

Other bullets that do work in my rifle are the Hornady 35-gr. V-MAX, Sierra 40-gr. HP, Nosler 40-gr., Varmageddon HP, the Sierra 40- and 45-gr. Hornet and the Hornady 45-gr. Hornet. The Hornet bullets from Sierra are available in 0.223" and 0.224" with the larger diameter being considerable more accurate in my Model 70 with its 0.2232" groove diameter.

If bullets of the two diameters are tried, use a Redding Type S full-length sizing die with interchangeable bushings and install a bushing 0.002" smaller than the neck diameter of a loaded round. To assure adequate case neck tension, the neck expander button of a sizing die made for 0.224" bullets measures 0.223" and it should be 0.222" for 0.223" bullets. This can be accomplished by reducing button diameter or by ordering one of the desired size from the die manufacturer.

Factory ammunition options for a 1:16" twist barrel are quite limited. The best I have tried is Nosler Varmageddon loaded with that company’s 40-gr. Flat Base Tipped bullet. No currently available .222 Rem. factory load with a 50-gr. bullet that I have tried delivers acceptable accuracy from my Model 70.

—Layne Simpson

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: The .222 Remington Story... [Re: Ripp]
      #286045 - 03/08/16 01:53 AM

Ha! - I remember the whole cafuffle when Mac shot that group, in 1973. Incredible - I did not know, however that it was measured all 0's at the start.

Thanks for posting this Ripp.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Bidgee
.375 member

Reged: 08/04/15
Loc: Northern Rivers, NSW
Re: The .222 Remington Story... [Re: DarylS]
      #286077 - 03/08/16 11:03 PM

Great article, I have never owned a .222 (always owned .223's) but a mate has had his for years and loves it.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: The .222 Remington Story... [Re: Bidgee]
      #286088 - 04/08/16 01:19 AM

Good article.

At one time the .222 Remington was the most popularly and common centrefire rifle in Australia.

My first centrefire rifle, my first firearm in fact I owned myself was a .222 Remington 788, the original model. Not the later shortened barrel version. The chunky ugly rifle is the most accurate rifle I own and still have it. Must start using it again.

Later acquired a Martini-Cadet .222 Rimmed rifle. Also mentioned in the article. Never shot this one, a safe queen. Only is set up for open sights and needs a scope added to make use of a .222 R chambering.

The first double rifle I shot was a Frankonia U/O in .22 Magnum and 5.6x50 mm Rimmed. The 5.6 very thin barrel was extremely accurate.
Tikka 512/Valmet under and over in 12 gauge and .223. This is another barrel set still to be used. Also needs some sort of scope setup which also allows the shotgun to be used. Another safe queen barrel ...

I would lust over a 5.6x50R double rifle like Ahmed has had made.

And the epitomy of the .222's is a vintage Sako L46 ...

I've never seen the need for a .22/250 or a .220 Swift, though I would like one of the latter. Too fast for edible small game. Both are perfect for kangaroo shooting. The speed is great for varmint shooting if one does that.

The .22 Hornet is one of the best for edible small game shooting. The .222 is fine at medium ranges, close on, it too does some damage, takes the head and neck of a rabbit.

The .223 is a good choice for an "apocalypse" rifle, able to use available ammunition supplies ... don't like the .223 though for some reason, do not like the .222 and 5.6x50R.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The .222 Remington Story... [Re: NitroX]
      #286089 - 04/08/16 01:32 AM

Quote:

The .223 is a good choice for an "apocalypse" rifle, able to use available ammunition supplies ...

Of course as "everyone knows" the 5.56 mm NATO and .223 Remington cartridges are not the same with 'subtle differences" ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#286091 - 04/08/16 02:26 AM

I talked a guy out of his Sako Finnbear in .222 several years back--it is in excellent condition..put a leupold VX3 on it...awesome little gun..have only used it once for hunting..smacked a pronghorn with hit...not sure why I dont use it more other than its kinda a Safe Queen..

My older brothers very first rifle was a Remington 788 in .222...like yours incredibly accurate...
He used it for years on anything from coyotes, fox to Whitetail deer..worked well on all of them..

Ripp

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#286094 - 04/08/16 04:08 AM

The 461 might be the epitome, but the 46's predate it.

This A1 Varmint still shoots nice groups at 100 meters with powders and bullets it likes. That's an 8-32X40 M4200 on it.

It does a little better with 52gr. or 53gr. Sierra Match HP's and IMR or H 4198- averaging just under 1/4"- at 100 meters.

--------------------
Daryl

aromakr
.375 member

Reged: 20/04/11
Loc: Hamilton, Montana
      #286114 - 05/08/16 01:11 AM

A great little cartridge, I have a very early Sako L46 .222, I purchased with a shot out barrel. Wanted to rebarrel in a .20 cal. My gunsmith friend talked me into a .20 VarTarg. Which is a .221 Fireball necked down to .20cal. I'm sure glad I took his advise, while fire forming cases I put 27 of thirty shots into .507" Wish I could post pictures I would post the target.
Bob

Edited by aromakr (05/08/16 01:13 AM)

HistoricBore
.300 member

Reged: 28/09/11
Loc: United Kingdom
Re: The .222 Remington Story... [Re: aromakr]
      #286121 - 05/08/16 03:35 AM

After years of pistol shooting, then Rook rifles and a couple of Savage 99s I thought I ought to get a bolt action rifle like everyone else. A friendly dealer found a Tikka Model 550 made in 1973 for not vey much money. It had rings but no 'scope so I fitted it with an old, refurbished Peccar 4 power, and use it for target and Running Deer events at Bisley.

Reloading for it has proved very easy, and accuracy is stunning for a sporter. The magazine holds three shots, but I have tried and failed to find another, as apparently they used to fall out whilst hunting - tricky. The five shot extended version is also like Rocking Horse droppings....

It's nice having a cartridge that is NOT military.

HB

Ripp
.577 member

#286124 - 05/08/16 04:19 AM

Quote:

The 461 might be the epitome, but the 46's predate it.

This A1 Varmint still shoots nice groups at 100 meters with powders and bullets it likes. That's an 8-32X40 M4200 on it.

It does a little better with 52gr. or 53gr. Sierra Match HP's and IMR or H 4198- averaging just under 1/4"- at 100 meters.

Nice Rifle and good shooting...

Thx for posting Daryl..

Ripp

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#286167 - 07/08/16 01:53 AM

Here is the rifle, its a Sako L46 early version, with the safe on the bolt shroud. Been rebarreled with a Green Mountain Rifle works blank. and it does shoot as you can see,. Scope is a Vortex 4X14 X50mm

Bob

--------------------
Daryl

aromakr
.375 member

#286179 - 07/08/16 07:56 AM

Thanks, Daryl; for posting those photo's for me.
The Group is thirty shots total, three fliers, so 27 shots in the .504 group. The catridge is a
20 Vartarg, based on a .221 Fireball necked to 20 cal. with a sharper shoulder, the case in the photo has not been fire formed. Fireball cases are very hard to come by, but can be made from .223 Rem./5.56 nato. Using 18-19 grains of several different powders a 32 grain bullet will be between 3800-3900fps 10 feet from the muzzle. I've handloaded 50+ years and can say this is one of the most accurate and easiest cartridge I've ever worked with.
Bob

DarylS
.700 member

Re: The .222 Remington Story... [Re: aromakr]
      #286181 - 07/08/16 08:07 AM

One of the fellows on another forum made a dedicated BR rifle chambered for the .20VarTarg. VARMINT TARGET = VarTarg Excectional on field rats, too.

Being a very well balanced ctg, it is doing very well indeed.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#286200 - 07/08/16 06:57 PM

No one has mentioned the excellent variant of the .222, the .17 Remington. It used to be popular here in Aust as a dedicated fox shooting cartridge for minimal damage to furs. Back when there was a fox fur trade.

Don't hear much of it nowadays, but the sub .22 rfs seem very popular.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

CarlsenHighway
.300 member

Reged: 19/03/09
Loc: Port Chalmers, New Zealand
      #286227 - 08/08/16 08:22 PM

In New Zealand back in the '60's and '70's it was one of the professional's top choices for deer hunting - here is my L461:

--------------------
If you carry a cat home by the tail you will receive information valuable to you for the rest of your life.
Mark Twain

DarylS
.700 member

#286233 - 09/08/16 12:52 AM

Quote:

No one has mentioned the excellent variant of the .222, the .17 Remington. It used to be popular here in Aust as a dedicated fox shooting cartridge for minimal damage to furs. Back when there was a fox fur trade.

Don't hear much of it nowadays, but the sub .22 rfs seem very popular.

The .17 Rem works very well, John.

Here's a gopher shot at the base of the spruce tree in the background, edge of tree line - 320 yard shot, prone with bipod using a 25gr. Hornady HP running just over 4,000fps mv. hit smack on his nose, (I assume), his entire skull was removed leaving the skin intact.

Here's looking atcha!

--------------------
Daryl

aromakr
.375 member

#286234 - 09/08/16 01:46 AM

Daryl:
What do you feed the gophers up there, they are about twice as big as ours??
Nice shot!!
Bob

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4611

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com