Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Buying a double?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Tanoose
.224 member

Reged: 01/02/04
Buying a double?
      #28389 - 27/03/05 12:37 AM

Where does one even begin? I have been thinking of buying a double rifle in the future and have decided on the Searcy PH Model in 500NE. I live on Long Island N.Y. Do i order from searcy themselves and have it shipped to my local gun shop or do i shop around at the local shops . And what can i expect to spend on this rifle , where can i go to find a fair price? And what are your thoughts on used double rifles , should i just buy new? Thanks to all who reply Tanoose

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Buying a double? [Re: Tanoose]
      #28391 - 27/03/05 01:40 AM

Tanoose,

Welcome to the forum. You are headed down a very slippery slope. Once you get the DR bug, it's incurable. You could end up as whacko as me and some of the other DR nuts on NitroExpress.

For the info you want, haunt the internet. There are many good dealers out there, and all will want to "help" you with your "problem."

Look at these websites:

Butch Searcy

Holland & Holland

Purdey

Westley Richards

Roosevelt & Drake

Champlin Arms

Fred Roberts

John Foster

Galazan

William Larkin Moore

Monty Whitley

Robin Hollow Outfitters

Steve Barnett

Fox Hill

Hallowell & Co.

Hendershot's

Ivory Beads

These are some of the dealers who offer best quality double rifles. You can find what you are looking for there.

And don't overlook Gunsamerica's listings:

GunsAmerica.com - Double Rifles

That's a short list of the favorites on my computer. It ought to get you started, at least.

Look around, and direct your questions to the forum. You'll get many and varied opinions here.

Best regards,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

chrispie
.275 member

Reged: 30/01/04
Loc: New England, USA
Re: Buying a double? [Re: CptCurl]
      #28397 - 27/03/05 02:44 AM

welcome to the forum, I'd suggest for you to handle as many double's as you can, hell you could drive to henderstots from your location and at least get to feel of a couple of doubles, i'd say for this being your first double, i'd recomend you buy new, if you buy used, make sure you have it inspected by someone who KNOWS double rifles. that said, i don't think you'd go wrong with either a merkel or a searcy, you should be able to pick up a basic merkel for around 8k give or take a few hundred, and lance from hendershots is great to deal with, but so is butch. his ph will run 9500.00, its all on what you can afford, fit, and feel. butch will make a rifle to fit you, or if you know your LOP you can have GSI put a pad on the merkel to your lenght. good luck on your quest, its alway fun shopping for a double.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Buying a double? [Re: chrispie]
      #28398 - 27/03/05 02:10 AM

I'm agreeing with Chrispie. I believe Merkel is the best choice for an entry level DR, particularly in .500NE. I have one myself. See my previous posts on that very subject.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: Buying a double? [Re: Tanoose]
      #28400 - 27/03/05 03:16 AM

In reply to:

Where does one even begin? I have been thinking of buying a double rifle in the future and have decided on the Searcy PH Model in 500NE.

You have made a fine choice. There is no more durable nor more accurate double made, and you can have it built to your personal dimensions (cast off, length of pull). Also, you can get some extras on your Searcy if you like, such as upgraded wood (even though the standard wood is very nice), leather covered recoil pad, trap door grip cap, etc.

Just give Mr. Searcy a call and send him a 50% deposit. 9 months later or so, he will ask for the rest, which you will send him along with an FFL from your local dealer. When the rifle arrives at your local dealer, you pay the local dealer his transfer fee (usually between $25 and $50) and fill out the yellow form. When choosing your local dealer to handle the transaction, make sure in advance that he will not try to charge you sales tax on the rifle. Also make sure exactly what he will charge to handle the transfer. Every once in a while a dealer tries to charge a percentage of the value of the rifle.

While waiting for your rifle to arrive, you can lay in a supply of brass, dies, bullets, etc.

Have fun!

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Buying a double? [Re: 500grains]
      #28408 - 27/03/05 07:31 AM

The Captain, and 500 grs have both given you good advice! The Merkel is cheaper to buy, and is a fine rifle, but the extra $1000, to $1500 for the B. Searcy PH is worth it in every way! That extra money is not simply for a different name on the rifle, but is for things like being fitted to you, the standard wood is an up grade on most off the shelf doubles, though the Merkels usually have very nice wood. The PH has auto selective ejectors as a standard,while the Merkel has extractors, and the very minimal engraveing on the Searcy is hand done, while this seems to be rolled on on the Merkel. The Searcys also come with recoil pad already installed, while on the Merkel you must have it installed. On a 500NE a recoil pad is a must, no metter who made the rifle. Where accuracy is concerened, no double rifle, I know of, will be more accurate, than the Searcy! However, the Merkels are very accurate as well.

In my case I could live with the 500NE, or 470NE Merkel, quite nicely, and use the extra money to buy another trophy on my hunt, and be able to pick it up today, and in one week have all the extras done, and be hunting. With the Searcy, you are getting a Very well made rifle, made to your order, and with some things that come standard, that are options on the other one. The down side is the wait of nine months, and $1500 in cost!

I wouldn't feel unarmed in the bush with the biggest Elephant, or Buffalo with either! It all depends what you want! Like other's here, I would advise you to buy NEW, but which you buy is up to you!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Buying a double? [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #28581 - 30/03/05 05:00 AM

I would also go with a Searcy PH...I have owned no better rifle, and I have owned a lot of double rifles, both English and domestic...

To start with the engraving on the Merkle is horrible, thats my main complaint..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2439

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com