Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: size of swivel loop on Merkels?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
KringleKim
.224 member

Reged: 22/07/16
Loc: Greenland, Arctic
size of swivel loop on Merkels?
      #285780 - 28/07/16 09:46 AM

Dear forum, could someone please tell me the internal width of the fixed swivel loops that Merkels come with? I am waiting for the Merkel 140AE in cal. 375 H&H that I just ordered but I'm not sure if my Westley Richards sling will fit at all.

greetings from Greenland...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: size of swivel loop on Merkels? [Re: KringleKim]
      #285781 - 28/07/16 10:28 AM

So every new(er) Merkel I've had so far has not been supplied with swivels, as far as I can recall except for one, which I believe was 7/8" or the metric equivalent. They have the European swivel stud, but generally ship with no swivels, or possibly they did and I just tossed them in the garbage because they weren't of the QD type.

There are two generally available modern day swivel stud sizes. Euro and American. On the Merkel they are the standard European size. The vey ubiquitous American Uncle Mike's QD swivels are too wide and the pin is too thick to fit a Merkel swivel stud. New England Custom Gun NECG has the correct Euro QD swivels. You can order them from their web site. I, myself was looking at their web site about 2 hours ago so your post was timely and it struck a chord with me. I had to order the euro swivels from them for my Merkel and Heym a few years ago after suffering the frustration of finding that none of my American slings or swivels would fit my fancy new euro guns.

There are also two generally available swivel loop sizes, the euro loop being narrower than the American.

I don't have the precise dimensions handy, but I'm sure there are several forum members far more knowledgable than I that will be happy to jump in and course correct my post.

Edited by Postman (28/07/16 10:55 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: size of swivel loop on Merkels? [Re: Postman]
      #285818 - 29/07/16 01:33 AM

http://www.merkel-die-jagd.de/en/produkte/gewehre/doppelbuechsen/doppelbuechse-140

The one I had did not have it as well. I am sure if you emailed Merkel they could tell you that info..
thx

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
Re: size of swivel loop on Merkels? [Re: Ripp]
      #285825 - 29/07/16 02:50 AM

I'll measure mine tonight thought they were 3/4 but 7/8 seems more reasonable gave looking for a sling and had a sling made by a local saddle maker could not be happier and a fair price too

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

ducmarc
.400 member

Re: size of swivel loop on Merkels? [Re: ducmarc]
      #285835 - 29/07/16 10:29 AM

mine measures 3/4"

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

KringleKim
.224 member

#285838 - 29/07/16 10:44 AM

thank you very much.

KringleKim
.224 member

#285840 - 29/07/16 10:48 AM

thanks for the reply, I will check out NECG. The fixed swivel loops on my Mauser are also very narrow (cant use my WR sling on that one either).

ducmarc
.400 member

#285843 - 29/07/16 10:59 AM

IMG_20160728_195808 by Marcus Miller, on Flickr

--------------------

Postman
.375 member

#285845 - 29/07/16 02:24 PM

Quote:

thanks for the reply, I will check out NECG. The fixed swivel loops on my Mauser are also very narrow (cant use my WR sling on that one either).

Here's a novel idea for you: order a set of the euro swivels AND a set of American swivels from NECG. You can then swap the loops between the Euro and American QD part, thus yielding a QD swivel with the wider standard 1" American loop but with the narrower and thinner pin Euro QD attachment that will fit the Merkel swivel stud. Voila!!! Problem solved through a bit of tiny creative parts swapping!! Then you can likely fit your WR strap assuming it's a1" wide strap.

ducmarc
.400 member

#285874 - 30/07/16 02:35 AM

That or there must be a local saddle shop up there its made real similar to a bridle maybe the can either narrow yours or make a new one.also thought of a short leather adapter with a D ring attaching it to the existing sling but that seems too complicated swaping the swivels seems a good idea if u can get them in a timely manor

--------------------

vol423
.224 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: TN
      #304145 - 17/08/17 05:19 PM

Good God! Just drill out the Euro holes to US size and be done with it!

Postman
.375 member

Re: size of swivel loop on Merkels? [Re: vol423]
      #304147 - 17/08/17 08:07 PM

Quote:

Ahhhh!!! If life were so simple!!!!!

But life just isn't like that with most Euro sling swivel studs..... there is very little metal on the stud. If you tried to drill the hole to American standard size there would not be any stud left. Like a Porsche, with parts engineered to very tight tolerances to be enough to do the job and no more, the Europeans don't tend to use more metal than is necessary in their firearm studs.

Even if there was enough metal to drill a larger hole in the stud, the stud itself is narrower than an American standard QD stud, and there would be tremendous slop between the sides of the stud and the inside edges of an Uncle Mike's QD swivel.

Edited by Postman (17/08/17 08:09 PM)

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: size of swivel loop on Merkels? [Re: vol423]
      #305249 - 13/09/17 02:14 AM

Quote:

RIGHT!!! That is what I did on both my Merkel double rifles! Works like a charm!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4647

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com