Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: MS Stock Discoloration

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Lawman
.275 member

Reged: 04/01/07
Loc: Texas, USA
MS Stock Discoloration
      #285564 - 22/07/16 11:36 PM

I recently acquired a 1961 MCA. A previous owner installed a slip on rubber recoil pad. The area covered by the pad has darkened. I believe it is the finish only. It looks like the result of a reaction of the rubber and the finish. I'm afraid the stock will need refinishing, unless anyone has an idea of how to reduce the discoloration. I'm in Houston if anyone can suggest a smith that might undertake refinishing or stripping the old finish for me. In the alternative are there any suggestions as to a stripper. Other than this issue the stock is in great condition and bluing is near perfect.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kano
.300 member

Reged: 09/07/03
Loc: East Africa
Re: MS Stock Discoloration [Re: Lawman]
      #285569 - 23/07/16 04:59 AM

Quote:

In the alternative are there any suggestions as to a stripper.

I'd have a few, but I'm not sure this forum is the right venue.......

Sorry, couldn't resist.....

--------------------
Philip

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: MS Stock Discoloration [Re: Kano]
      #285570 - 23/07/16 08:52 AM

You are lucky - a friend had me strip then re-finish a Belguim Browning that has a red-slip-on installed- for many years. The chemicals in the rubber reacted with the plastic or epoxy finish used on those grande-piano finished Brownings. It actually ate holes in the finish, stopping at the wood.
The stripped (Circa 1850 Furniture Stripper), then finished the stock EXACTLY like original, but without the waves - it was like a mirror or Grande Piano finish, as requested - using True Oil! 6 months and 58 coats of oil later, with only 3 coats over the surface of the wood, then polished with rouge paste - lovely finish! Cost him $600.00 for my time. I made certain every coat was totally hardened before applying the next thin coat - after each dozen, I sanded back to wood with 1500 grit wet or dry paper.
I think if doing piece of porous, huge grained Claro, I'd likely sand after every 20 or 24 coats, just to fill the pores more quickly.
The results were remarkable.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1245

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com