Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 1961 mca

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mannlicher Discussion forum & Archive

Pages: 1
ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
1961 mca
      #285515 - 21/07/16 11:52 AM

So there's. Been a 62 mca hanging in the clanker rack at the local gander mountain for $750.finally decided to pull the trigger and plopped down 200 on it.no scope or mounts decent wood double set triggers tang safety 30.06 .the bore is nice but the barrel outside has been reblued and large pits along the barrel.so was thinking of rebarreling to something more interesting.been wanting to build a 318 Westley Richards but might be a hair long. Maybe one of the 9mms or 35 Whelen.any thoughts'.

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MRobinson
.275 member

Reged: 29/01/06
Loc: New England
Re: 1961 mca [Re: ducmarc]
      #285517 - 21/07/16 02:03 PM

9.3x62?

--------------------
Mike

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: 1961 mca [Re: MRobinson]
      #285538 - 22/07/16 02:16 AM

Caution, rebarreling a post-war Mannlicher – Schoenauer is no easy job, far more demanding than a Mauser or even pre-war Mannlichers. Few knowing gunsmithes will dare to tackle it. Why? Inside the receiver ring of M-Sch actions is a collar with recesses for the locking lugs. These recesses have angled rear surfaces that push the bolt back on lifting the bolt handle to achieve primary extraction. On pre-war M-Sch rifles this collar is part of the receiver. the barrel simply abuts against the collar with a flat breech end. As one of the many manufacturing short cuts that collar with it's recesses was made as a part of the barrel on post-war M-Schs. So the recesses and primary extraction slopes have to be machined into the replacement barrel. They have to be perfectly indexed with barrel shoulder and threads to line up for reliable function after screwed tightly into the receiver, a task near impossible without the gages the factory used. I suggest having the original barrel rebored to .35 Whelen or 9.3x62, but only if the original bore is really gone. This will still leave you with a lot of careful modification of the magazine, follower "troughs" and guide ring.

ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
Re: 1961 mca [Re: kuduae]
      #285554 - 22/07/16 09:20 AM

9.3x62 seems cheap enough to shoot along with the Whelen

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1103

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com