Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Proof Research- carbon-fiber-rifle-barrels

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Proof Research- carbon-fiber-rifle-barrels
      #285533 - 22/07/16 12:48 AM

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/rifles/proof-research-carbon-fiber-rifle-barrels/

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Proof Research- carbon-fiber-rifle-barrels [Re: Ripp]
      #285537 - 22/07/16 01:40 AM

Sounds interesting. The rapid cooling would be great, especially when testing loads.

I was not impressed with the accuracy, but of course one would expect handloads to do considerably better.

I've been intrigued with carbon wrapped barrels and if they shot or could shoot as well as bull or varmint weight barrels, seeing as how the steel is a skinny pipe.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Proof Research- carbon-fiber-rifle-barrels [Re: DarylS]
      #285540 - 22/07/16 02:35 AM

Quote:

Sounds interesting. The rapid cooling would be great, especially when testing loads.

I was not impressed with the accuracy, but of course one would expect handloads to do considerably better.

I've been intrigued with carbon wrapped barrels and if they shot or could shoot as well as bull or varmint weight barrels, seeing as how the steel is a skinny pipe.

I have or will have 2 shortly--I have a Fierce currently in 26 Nosler that I picked up last year..did a few hand loads out of the blue..along with the "suggested load" sent along by Fierce...I was surprised when out at the range and testing my first 6 different recipes, that 3 of the 6 were a .5 inch or less ..using accubonds and swift scirroco's.. please keep in mind that this is the lightest model they make..it is a titanium action..carbon barrel --I put a Swarovski 3.5-18 Z5 on it...all in it is under 7 1/2 lbs...

I settled on the Swifts as I feel the accubonds don't have a thick enough jacket to hold up the the velocity generated by the 26 Nosler..the 130's were chrono'd over 3400fps..

http://www.fiercearms.com/products/rifle-models/ct-edge

Have another project working on with a proof barrel in 28 Nosler..along with a friend that is building one in 300 RUM also with a Proof barrel...

Everyone I have talked to at this point have had great experiences with Proof..think they are the cadillac of carbon barrels...

Will advise how this all works out..but happy with the actual shooting of them I have done to this point.

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (22/07/16 02:44 AM)

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
      #285544 - 22/07/16 06:00 AM

The Christenson Arms wrapped barrels are another,but are exy

And I see a NZ mob are wrapping barrels as well...exy too,around $1200 -ish! from memory.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Proof Research- carbon-fiber-rifle-barrels [Re: gryphon]
      #285559 - 22/07/16 04:12 PM

G'Day Fella's,

FYI, a local mate of mine www.gcpdarms.com is the mainland agent for www.hardyrifleengineering.co.nz "HRE" products.
I have several (x6) HRE barrels, including a 6.5mm and a .338" carbon wrapped barrels for rifle projects.

Hope that helps

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Proof Research- carbon-fiber-rifle-barrels [Re: Homer]
      #285560 - 22/07/16 04:47 PM

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,

FYI, a local mate of mine www.gcpdarms.com is the mainland agent for www.hardyrifleengineering.co.nz "HRE" products.
I have several (x6) HRE barrels, including a 6.5mm and a .338" carbon wrapped barrels for rifle projects.

Hope that helps

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

Gee H the Kiwi`s are gonna love you ha ha..with your line "is the mainland agent"

'Mainland' sorta like us + Tassy and the mainland ha ha.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #285565 - 23/07/16 02:00 AM

Quote:

I was surprised when out at the range and testing my first 6 different recipes, that 3 of the 6 were a .5 inch or less ..using accubonds and swift scirroco's.. please keep in mind that this is the lightest model they make..it is a titanium action..carbon barrel --I put a Swarovski 3.5-18 Z5 on it...all in it is under 7 1/2 lbs...

I settled on the Swifts as I feel the accubonds don't have a thick enough jacket to hold up the the velocity generated by the 26 Nosler..the 130's were chrono'd over 3400fps.
Ripp

That is VERY impressive, Ripp.

My 6.5x68, re-chambered on a previously unfired 6.5x55 M96 29" only did 3,210fps, but I kept the loads a bit softer than Keith due to the action - yes, single shot. It easily shot under the inch. Can't remember the load offhand.

On the other hand, friend Keith was making 3,300fps with his 6.5x68 on a P-17 action, both of us using 129 Hornadys, with a lot of H870, he about 4 gr. more than I used.

I only fired one shot with it at game - a pair of snowshoe hares one behind the other at 200 and 210yards distance - got both with the that shot. LOL I was surprised it didn't blow them into pieces. Seems a rather tougher bullet than I imagined it would be, the bunnies not offering up enough mass to make it blow up.

I do like high speed 6.5's. sounds as if the carbon wrapped barrels are quite a positive deal.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

starman
.275 member

Reged: 23/08/05
Loc: nsw
Re: Proof Research- carbon-fiber-rifle-barrels [Re: DarylS]
      #285836 - 29/07/16 10:31 AM

The primary positive CWB technology offers is a more stable point of impact during high-volume firing strings
which is why the military has such vested interest in the technology. .But as far as a civilian sports hunting
pursuits for big game, elk or African plains game goes, where high volume firing strings are mostly non inexistent,
CWB doesnt any great accuracy advantages....
I have personally asked carbon wrap companies face to face if their technology offers any realistic field accuracy advantage
for the many hunters that typically might fire 1-2 or possibly 3 rounds at a game animal in succession. They humbly admitted
their CWB product would really only be of advantage to POI consistency when conducting much higher shot string counts.--
As far as firing 1,2,3, rounds at game are concerned, it was said i might well be disappointed and wasting my money if I though
carbon was going to really help me.

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Proof Research- carbon-fiber-rifle-barrels [Re: starman]
      #285837 - 29/07/16 10:42 AM

CWB will be out of date in another few years of evolution... the sales evolution of course.

Once we all have 20 guns the manufacturers will have to come up with something new so we buy the 'latest'

Hmmm if I had a crystal ball to see "whats next" I would be on a winner!

--------------------

starman
.275 member

#285841 - 29/07/16 10:51 AM

Quote:

The Christenson Arms wrapped barrels are another,but are exy

And I see a NZ mob are wrapping barrels as well...exy too,around $1200 -ish! from memory.

Christensenarms carbon technology is behind that of the composite technology of ABS carbon wrapping
(ABS being the barrel wrap company that the newer Proof Co. acquired it carbon wrap from)
Thermal dissipation ability will depend on what particular kind of carbon filament is used, how its layed up
and what kind of resin/bonding agent are used in the construction.

Regarding NZ company doing composite barrel technology, I would be most interested to know what composite technology
they are using, because believe it not, NZ is a big player and world leader in some composite products, they built the composite
technology Americas Cup vessels which runs into hundreds of millions of dollars and might well also do a fine CWB.

starman
.275 member

#285844 - 29/07/16 11:31 AM

Quote:

CWB will be out of date in another few years of evolution... the sales evolution of course.

Wait and see, cause the wanker "tacticool" world market is huge and still seems to be growing, millions think its imperative
to have a tactical pen, tactical flashlight( of course with aggressive crenulated bezel for attacks! + para-cord & titanium beads attached)
tactical pathogen proof boots ,molle pack( must be multicam*) with tough guy death skull type "punisher" velcro patches, all this just to
go to the irrelevant civilian office or factory they work in, and the cashed up ones can also get a stealthy US mil.spec. carbon-W- barrel as
icing on the cake, that will make not one scrap of difference to their game hunting.....just my laugh for the day.

gryphon
.450 member

#285849 - 29/07/16 05:47 PM

And all of those owners may as well get tactical butt plugs too!

--------------------

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #285852 - 29/07/16 06:50 PM

Quote:

Gee H the Kiwi`s are gonna love you ha ha..with your line "is the mainland agent"

'Mainland' sorta like us + Tassy and the mainland ha ha.

Gryphon, by "Mainland", I mean mainland Australia.
Their is another bloke in Tassy, that also is an agent for HRE products in the Apple Isle!

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #285861 - 29/07/16 07:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wait and see, cause the wanker "tacticool" world market is huge and still seems to be growing, millions think its imperative
to have a tactical pen, tactical flashlight( of course with para-cord & titanium beads attached) tactical pathogen proof boots ,
molle pack( must be multicam*) with tough guy death skull type "punisher" velcro patches, all this just to go to the irrelevant civilian
office or factory they work in, and the cashed up ones can also get a stealthy US mil.spec. carbon-W- barrel as icing on the cake, that
will make not one scrap of difference to their game hunting.....just my laugh for the day.

How true is all this! Always a new calibre/cartridge that is a must have, to sell another rifle to people to add another rifle to those they already don't use. Must have the latest and newest!

My excuse for the same, is at least mine are mostly all old!

And the tacticool mob. Seen so much of them before the last election. All these hereos demanding political stuff we can't have in Australia, at least not with a lot of progress on other stuff first. They want all the tactical gear, rifles, shotguns, handguns, for self defence, for concealed carry, for open carry IN AUSTRALIA!!! Where I can even legally carry my leatherman in my pocket in a public place without a good reason!!!

Then the same tacticool children post, "I want buy my first shotgun? What do you guys reckon?"

Taciticool appeals to the children and immature market .... I wouldn't mind an AR myself though.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Proof Research- carbon-fiber-rifle-barrels [Re: NitroX]
      #285862 - 29/07/16 07:18 PM

Before I get attacked .... (and a small real market!)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#285864 - 29/07/16 07:19 PM

The most important question. Can you smuggle these barrels down your pants legs through metal detectors???? !!!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

#285867 - 29/07/16 09:11 PM

Quote:

The most important question. Can you smuggle these barrels down your pants legs through metal detectors???? !!!

NO--they have a metal sleeve that is a barrel surrounded by the wrapping...so same as any other barrel just better..

Taciticool appeals to the children and immature market .... I wouldn't mind an AR myself though.

I use my frequently here for shooting coyotes..call them in, not unusual for more than one to come in at once...makes for some fun shooting at a running target...

As to new, each to their own..I like it..my thoughts are, if someone doesn't like a new round, rifle, scope or whatever, don't buy it...the free marketplace (or marxist government) will dictate what stays and what does not...

Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2787

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com