Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Red Dots on Combination Guns

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
mchughcb
.333 member

Reged: 21/02/14
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Red Dots on Combination Guns
      #285196 - 14/07/16 06:56 PM

So far this year its going well. Almost top scorer for the club using a single shot lol!

Long Shot

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Red Dots on Combination Guns [Re: mchughcb]
      #285198 - 14/07/16 07:39 PM

Good shooting.

I think a person with a single barrel firearm tends to become more adept and careful when shooting. Knowing there is not a second shot ready at hand.

I reckon that sight is also handy on your combination firearm. What is the second barrel on this gun?

What sort of red dot is it in the aimpoint?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

mchughcb
.333 member

Re: Red Dots on Combination Guns [Re: NitroX]
      #285202 - 14/07/16 10:51 PM

7x57R with a H1 micro 2 MoA.i have some vids of mutli kills with it. Makes it hard reloading , running and firing but it an be done.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #285205 - 14/07/16 11:49 PM

Its really ironic this post shows up as I have been shopping for one of these for while now. Looked at some Trijicon's a few days ago...

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=MRO

http://fishhuntandcamp.com/burris-mtac1x...6TgtBoCW4vw_wcB

Have tried this one..put the top red dot on a 2 o'clock which enables me to keep my cheek on the stock for the main scope, slight twist and red dot available..tried it for about 4 hours a few days ago..was very accurate.......

Good to see people using them hunting and giving results..thank you for doing this

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: Red Dots on Combination Guns [Re: Ripp]
      #285209 - 15/07/16 12:15 AM

I am somewhat smitten with the very tiny sized RMR by Trijicon. I have yet to mount one on a combi rifle, but I have them mounted on double rifles. I have tried both the battery version as well as the fibre optic illuminated variety. I like the tiny but bright battery 3.5moa self adjusting brightness dot and find it extremely fast to come up,on target, but batteries do occasionally run flat, and I have also found that I need to make sure that the battery contact has enough bend in it to ensure positive contact with the battery terminals - flat CR 2032 type watch battery. The version that runs on ambient light without aid of a battery with the triangular aim point also seems to work well, but if one is standing in a darker environment (blind, etc) and aiming out into bright sunlight, the reticle can be very washed out and difficult to see quickly.

In my humble opinion, the RMRs are not without fault, but they are indeed very small and unobtrusive, and do work much better than iron sights for my aging eyes. Trijicon also offers an unfitted claw type base for the RMR, which I am considering buying and then spending some quality time working the mount with a file to try to fit it to the rear claw base of an old 7x57R, 16 gauge 2 1/2" combi gun I have.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Red Dots on Combination Guns [Re: Postman]
      #285210 - 15/07/16 12:46 AM

For whatever it is worth and depending on what the red dots are used for..I recently visited with a friend who is a former Navy Seal Team 1 member..he advised me to get a red dot with no larger than a 2 MOA dot..

As to the red dots..I do like them alot...they work very well..there is a torture test done with a Daniel Defense rifle and red dot scope I post a week or so ago..amazing the pounding that scope stood up to..

Ripp

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#285214 - 15/07/16 12:55 AM

For the Trijicon sights I would definitely choose a battery version and not the trinium (or whatever it is) powered sight. When the trinium wears out, after only ten years or so, the sight is not very bright and a pain to use. What I thought right from the beginning ... but got sucked in and bought one.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#285216 - 15/07/16 01:32 AM

Looking at the DOCTERsight III. It mentions:

Quote:

Sharp dot image across the entire field of vision thanks to additional correction lens

Does this mean the sight can be adjusted for eyesight issues?

I bought the Trijicon sight and at the time the red dot was a circle. Now it is a indistinct "star". Does the Docter sight III allow for correction of this ??? Any thoughts anyone?

http://www.docter-germany.de/en/products/prod/cat/reflex-sights/prod/doctersight-iii.html

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (15/07/16 01:32 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#285217 - 15/07/16 01:48 AM

Quote:

Looking at the DOCTERsight III. It mentions:

Quote:

Sharp dot image across the entire field of vision thanks to additional correction lens

Does this mean the sight can be adjusted for eyesight issues?

I bought the Trijicon sight and at the time the red dot was a circle. Now it is a indistinct "star". Does the Docter sight III allow for correction of this ??? Any thoughts anyone?

http://www.docter-germany.de/en/products/prod/cat/reflex-sights/prod/doctersight-iii.html

Answering my own question:
Quote:

Hints
Due to their specific construction, DOCTER red-dot reflex sights do not have a diopter compensation unit or other function units that compensate for the visual defect of the human eye.
Thus, all individual visual defects of the respective shooter have a direct effect on the contour of the perceived light dot.
Seeming ovality, sickle-shaped distortion, "star clusters" or a "frayed" contour of the dot do not mean a defective device, but rather and exclusively mean a physiological change of the eye (astigmatism).
Then, it is recommended to use corrective glasses or to have the eyes checked by an ophthalmologist.

http://www.docter-germany.de/fileadmin/c...gth_III_d_e.pdf

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#285218 - 15/07/16 03:29 AM

Aim point on DD AR torture test...impressive..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUgzlF_4XUs

Ripp

--------------------

mchughcb
.333 member

#285238 - 15/07/16 09:18 AM

I have used the Doctor RMR sight on the same combo as well as the burris fast fire II. The adjustment for windage and elevation is not as easy as the Aimpoint micro but they are smaller and less obtrusive with the FOV. They are not as strong so I've managed to ding mine hunting but it hasn't affected accuracy. I had a henneberger mount for the Burris fitted to my SEM mount on my drilling but it wore loose after a year. I do not recommend this mounting system. I am currently getting a custom picatinny sem mount made up and I will attach my new H2 micro to it with a QD base. That will be a far superior system. I agree with 2MOA dot, if you need more visibility I turn it up to 10 or down to 8 in normal poor/good light conditions. Here is a RMR of only 2Moa

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=5941255

Aimpoints are good for combination guns where the targets can be close or far and running.

Aimpoint Three in a Row

Edited by mchughcb (15/07/16 09:21 AM)

mchughcb
.333 member

#285991 - 01/08/16 06:43 PM

Here is an Docter II sight on a BBF. I don't mind it either.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r120/mchughcb/BBFs.jpg

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2753

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com