Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Finally got a Mauser Broomhandle. Just a few decades late.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
Finally got a Mauser Broomhandle. Just a few decades late.
      #285018 - 10/07/16 12:22 PM

The Mauser C/96 Broomhandle 'Bolo' pistol has been one of my Grail guns for decades. Yesterday I went to an estate auction. There were three Broomhandles up for auction. I checked them out. The Red 9 (WWI make in 9mm for the German Army. Literally has a 9 carved into the grips and painted red so the user know to use 9mm and not 30 Mauser which was the normal caliber for the Broomhandle) was a parts gun. In good shape, but probably an arsenal rebuild. The Model 30 commercial looked as if it had been refinished in the last couple decades and the safety didn't work. The Bolo has all matching serial number parts and is in good mechanical condition. More of the finish is gone and the grips are aftermarket, but it is a genuine Mauser Bolo. I bid on it and got it.

As I stated the grips are aftermarket. I'm not a wealthy man so I buy what I can afford. This one set me back about $800.00 USD which is a lot for me. It isn't pretty , but the pistol is in good mechanical condition and rust free. I took it apart last night (wow the engineering that went into this pistol is incredible) and everything is solid. The safety works like it's supposed to. The magazine spring is a little worn out and I'm going to replace the recoil spring and main spring as well, but I believe there will be no trouble firing it. Incidentally there is only one screw in the whole pistol and that's to hold the grip panels on. Everything else just fits together. Very impressive.

The serial number is 55XXXX putting it in the late 1920's or early 30's at the end of the Bolo manufacturing life. I've have wanted a Mauser Broomhandle ,especially the Bolo variant, since I was literally in sixth grade (1979). It ,along with the Webley Mk VI and the S&W Model 27 with the 3.5" barrel, are my Grail Guns. I now have the Webley and the Mauser. Yes I plan on taking it to the range. It's a very solid and well made pistol. After all it's a Mauser.

Edited by Checkman (10/07/16 12:48 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: Finally got a Mauser Broomhandle. Just a few decades late. [Re: Checkman]
      #285037 - 10/07/16 11:58 PM

Well done! I've always wanted one of these myself but have been put off by the amount of reading i'd have to do to understand all the variations. I'd probably want a .30 mauser version with shoulder stock like Mr. Bell. I wouldn't worry about the grips at all. They're attractive.

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
Re: Finally got a Mauser Broomhandle. Just a few decades late. [Re: mckinney]
      #285038 - 11/07/16 12:22 AM

Checkman, speaking of things we can't afford, here's a magnificent example:

http://jamesdjulia.com/highlights/?Auct=394&Cons=43475a49

There are a couple of others in the same sale, from the collection of Dr. Geoffrey Sturgess, along with the greatest selection of Italian, Belgian, and Spanish shotguns I've ever seen. (No affiliation with the auction house)

Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
Re: Finally got a Mauser Broomhandle. Just a few decades late. [Re: mckinney]
      #285039 - 11/07/16 01:18 AM

Yeah that's way to rich for me. Impressive, but until I win the lottery I can only look.

TH44
.375 member

Reged: 21/02/09
Loc: West UK
Re: Finally got a Mauser Broomhandle. Just a few decades late. [Re: Checkman]
      #285044 - 11/07/16 08:29 AM

Checkman

That is a good example of a classic pistol. I only wish we could still own them here in the UK. Good luck in shooting it

McKinney

Some of these supreme grade pistols that James D Julia get are almost beyond belief (and us normal guy's pockets) I saw a Borchardt at their display in Las Vegas in similar condition - thanks for the link

TH44

Edited by TH44 (11/07/16 08:30 AM)

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Finally got a Mauser Broomhandle. Just a few decades late. [Re: TH44]
      #285061 - 11/07/16 06:09 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Finally got a Mauser Broomhandle. Just a few decades late. [Re: Homer]
      #285064 - 11/07/16 11:46 PM

Checkman,

Congrats on your Mauser. I also have had the desire to have a Mauser of some variation, but never have I stepped up to the plate.

I do hope you intend to shoot this beast. I've never shot one, but I can imagine it is a hoot!

When you are ready for that 3.5" Model 27 give me a shout. I have a 3.5" pre-27 five screw up for sale now. It's a really fine one that shipped out of S&W in September 1957. It's all matching, including the grip panels.

Best,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: Finally got a Mauser Broomhandle. Just a few decades late. [Re: CptCurl]
      #285069 - 12/07/16 04:17 AM

If anyone out there wants one in extremely good condition, my wife has one she is going to sell. Please PM me and we'll talk.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1840

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com