Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Odd gun in an odd movie

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
AbitNutz
.275 member

Reged: 02/09/12
Loc: Ohio, USA
Odd gun in an odd movie
      #284615 - 28/06/16 12:03 PM

There was a movie called "Ghost and the Darkness". This isn't a movie review...One of the characters was sporting a howdah pistol that was an over/under but with side by side exposed hammers and dual fore and aft triggers. I'm thinking this was just a movie prop but did anyone ever make an over/under rifle with side by side hammers? I have to admit, while not as pretty as a fine English double rifle, it was uniquely attractive.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Odd gun in an odd movie [Re: AbitNutz]
      #284618 - 28/06/16 12:32 PM

4-barrel Howdah S/S & O/U - 2 hammers and 2 internal strikers chambered in .577 Snider was featured in a G&A magazine back in the 60's. I remember reading that article over and over with photos and drawings to stir the hunting soul of a lad who was supposed to be studying - well, I was - just not school work.

I am trying to remember the maker's name - but alas, cannot bring my self to recall the script under the photo of the pistol at this time.

There was also an o/u with side by side hammers, under lever/ The left hammer had a long projection to hit the slanted firing pin from the bottom barrel - again, a .577 Snider.

That is what & how I remember these guns - hope they were real and it wasn't simply an elaborate dream! LOL

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Mauser416
.300 member

Reged: 20/06/07
Loc: Corpus Christi, Texas
Re: Odd gun in an odd movie [Re: DarylS]
      #284620 - 28/06/16 12:41 PM

http://www.imfdb.org the Internet Movie Firearms Database has info on the gun. According to them, it appears the howdah used by Michael Douglas (Remington) was made by one of the armorers.

Eric

--------------------
There is nothing worse in this world than an enslaved man who naively believes himself free, except, perhaps, trying to explain to that same man his predicament.

AbitNutz
.275 member

Reged: 02/09/12
Loc: Ohio, USA
Re: Odd gun in an odd movie [Re: Mauser416]
      #284638 - 28/06/16 06:41 PM

It looks like the ones I've heard about are all muzzle loaders...is there anyway a cartridge O/U side hammer could work? I guess it could. The Sharps certainly does make use of an angled firing pin.

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Odd gun in an odd movie [Re: AbitNutz]
      #284673 - 29/06/16 06:52 AM

European gunmakers have made U/O rifles with SxS hammers in the past. I have some pictures somewhere of one made a few years back by the Austrian gunmaker Streitmeier.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

TH44
.375 member

Reged: 21/02/09
Loc: West UK
Re: Odd gun in an odd movie [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #284678 - 29/06/16 08:29 AM

This is my O/U Howdah"???? pistol (Pic from another thread), with a side by side

My Constinne Renette O/U percussion rifle posted in the Muzzleloaders forum

I have seen a couple of better quality O/U Traveller's pistols with one extended hammer to reach a nipple on the lower barrel. I believe this was the style of the movie pistol

All percussion "Howdah" pistols were actually "Travellers" "Saddle" or "Horse" pistols (see W W Greener "The Gun etc"), dealers and auction houses promoting the naming to increase prices. I have 6 DB pistols

Cartridge pistols in .577 Snider and 20 bore were a different matter, not practical in Hammer O/U??? (comments please)

The Lancaster 4 barrel .455 was a different concept

TH44

Edited by TH44 (29/06/16 08:32 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2087

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com