Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 300 Win. Mag...TOUGH TO BEAT article by Boddington

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
300 Win. Mag...TOUGH TO BEAT article by Boddington
      #282899 - 25/05/16 11:34 PM

http://www.sportsafield.com/content/tough-beat

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ovny
.375 member

Reged: 19/06/08
Loc: Spain
Re: 300 Win. Mag...TOUGH TO BEAT article by Boddington [Re: Ripp]
      #283347 - 04/06/16 04:46 AM

I love reading the .300 Winchester Magnum is praised by someone so important in the world of weapons and hunting as Mr. Craig Boddington. I always thought I mistook to sell the Weatherby Vanguard 300 Weatherby had and then buy a Santa Barbara, 300 Winchester Mangum.

Regards,

Ovny.

--------------------
I am Spanish

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 300 Win. Mag...TOUGH TO BEAT article by Boddington [Re: ovny]
      #283358 - 04/06/16 08:05 AM

I had a .300 mag I chambered up on a Model1917 Mauser. As originally a Model 30 Remington, and a slow speed one at that, 200fps lower than Speer book specs, it turned into a fine performer after the rechamber.

I found it absolutely loved 165gr. Nosler Partitions and 165gr. Winchester Fail Safes, delivering 3,260 with the Partitions and 3,160fps with the same load and the Fail Safes.
Max Speer load with IMR7828 - about 82.0gr., IIRC.
Both were 1/2" to 3/4" groupers.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: 300 Win. Mag...TOUGH TO BEAT article by Boddington [Re: DarylS]
      #283363 - 04/06/16 09:10 AM

This sako 300 ate a 180 Nosler Partition Daryl for this little fella shown with an Ex. Far too hard a bullet out of a .300 imo.

The same rifle you would know as a Moth Wing Orange job atm.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

ovny
.375 member

Reged: 19/06/08
Loc: Spain
Re: 300 Win. Mag...TOUGH TO BEAT article by Boddington [Re: gryphon]
      #283388 - 04/06/16 05:03 PM

It is logical to think that a cartridge that takes many years in the "gap" can not be bad. If that is upgradeable for example the detail of having such a short neck it difficult to recharge, but really does manual refill a cartridge is required for all major firms of arms and ammunition manufacture their products ?, I sincerely believe that do not.

Good weekend.

Ovny.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: 300 Win. Mag...TOUGH TO BEAT article by Boddington [Re: ovny]
      #283401 - 04/06/16 08:12 PM

Seems that here is one good canditate to beat .300 WM

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/06/01/socom-chooses-300-norma-magnum-for-asr/

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 300 Win. Mag...TOUGH TO BEAT article by Boddington [Re: Igorrock]
      #283423 - 05/06/16 02:59 AM

Ovny - the short neck is of little or no consequence in loading the .300 Win Mag. I have never had ANY trouble with short neck cartridges.

As to factory ammo, the only factory ammo I have purchased in the last 40 years, has been a single box of 150gr. GMX Hornady ammo for my .308 Carbine. The ammo was on sale, 30% off, so I bought it, tried it - didn't like the accuracy, so saved money not having to buy a box of 50 bullets for re-loading, which cost twice as much as the ammo.

I think most of the 'bad press' on short necks comes from gun writers getting paid by the word, so they simply talk more- much of it nonsensical - quack, quack, quack.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

Re: 300 Win. Mag...TOUGH TO BEAT article by Boddington [Re: DarylS]
      #283430 - 05/06/16 06:18 AM

Agree with you Daryl, the 300 Win was the second centerfire rifle I ever owned..used it exclusively for 10 years plus..never had an issue with accuracy ..guessing on the fact that snipers in the military still use it, they don't seem to find it an issue either..

Ripp

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

#283434 - 05/06/16 07:51 AM

One of the members here did all the 'sorting out' and had a lovely custom 300 built and only recently picked it up.He is doing load development lately...a slight diff though as he had it chambered for the .308 Norma Mag instead of the 300 Win.

He believes that it ticks the boxes ahead of the 300 Win thus the choice

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

#283436 - 05/06/16 07:54 AM

Perhaps GD will tell us here himself.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#283438 - 05/06/16 09:31 AM

Quote:

One of the members here did all the 'sorting out' and had a lovely custom 300 built and only recently picked it up.He is doing load development lately...a slight diff though as he had it chambered for the .308 Norma Mag instead of the 300 Win.

He believes that it ticks the boxes ahead of the 300 Win thus the choice

And then there is the NEW 30 Nosler...dont't know of anyone using that yet either...would be curious to see a report on it..

Ripp

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #283444 - 05/06/16 01:04 PM

I don't own any of the hot 30's, 300SAUM is it. However I have seen the 300Weatherby in action and the 300Win. My vote of these 2 goes to the Weatherby without any doubt. If I had a 300 WM it would soon be a Weatherby. Now that we are blessed with factory fast stepping 30's without belts I would be looking at them.

The 300Norma yeah, nah. If I am going to have a case that big it's bore size would have to start 8mm mim. More likely 338,358 for flat shooting then 9.3 and up. This case is what Ruger should of based their 375 and 416 on.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: 300 Win. Mag...TOUGH TO BEAT article by Boddington [Re: Rule303]
      #283459 - 05/06/16 05:00 PM

If I had a .300 it would no doubt be the .300 H&H Magnum and/or .30R Super or H&H Flanged.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: 300 Win. Mag...TOUGH TO BEAT article by Boddington [Re: NitroX]
      #283468 - 05/06/16 11:00 PM

Not to bore you but in my experiences using the 30's --which I have used more than any other caliber, the RUM's are amazing for larger sized game especially if you use the correct bullet..I started life using a .303 British..once I was old enough to get a job off of the farm I purhased a new Remington 700 in 300 Win Mag..used it a lot..but mostly for deer in N Dakota..once I moved to Montana 27 years ago, I purhased another, this time a Browning SS in 300 Win ..used it for elk, deer, bear, pronghorn for the next few years...then around 2000, I bought a HS Precision, in 300 Ultra Mag...and used it exclusively for elk and African Plains game along with a hippo, leopard, croc. With 200 gr A Frames..it hits like the hammer of Thor..The first trip there I foolishly loaded 180 gr Nosler Accubonds..too fast for that bullet..very poor penetration..ended up using my .416 for pretty much everything on that trip because of it.. Several years ago, I purchased a pre-64 Winchester in 300 H&H..in fact it is currently being redone at a gunsmiths workshop..have shot it some..but more concerned in preserving that one a bit..

In my opinion for elk, zebra, eland sized game..pretty difficult to beat the 30 cal.... I have used the 300 RUM to shoot in excess of 100 head of game, ranging from elk to deer to bears to African plains game..it has never failed me even once...incredible caliber. If I were to change calibers when traveling to Africa for plains game, I would probably grab my 338 RUM...which is insane in both penetration and knock down power.

Last year I tried the 7 RUM using 160 gr Accubonds..(I am a slow learner) for the fall season here in MT on elk...shot a bull opening morning..made a pretty good hit on him at about 345 yards as he was coming through the flats..he dropped to the shot, got back up and started again, I shot again..and again..and again..he finally stayed put on the 4th shot..in gutting him out, again, I was not getting the penetration I needed ..Not suggesting this was the caliber's fault, more the bullet and have since switched the reloads to a different bullet...I have seen the 7 RUM in action on other game such as mountain goats and elk with very good results..BUT, and this is just my opinion, but the effect on game seems just a bit different when smacked with a fast 30...not as dramatic as when using the 375 vs 416, but noticeable just the same..

To this day, with all my rifles I have, when the temps drop, snow starts flying and elk are moving, its the 300RUM I grab for and head out the door..

Ripp

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #283497 - 06/06/16 11:34 AM

Not boring at all Ripp. Informative. A couple of notes if I may. When talking the fast 30's I was trying to stay in a standard 30-06 length action. This does not apply to the Rem 700 as a few minor tweaks and it will take 375H&H length cartridges no problem. Hang over from its great grandpapy the P14/M17. The 300 Rum would be my choice if a magnum length action/Rem 700 were to be used, I really do like the case. What you say about the 338 RUM I have heard from others that have hunted Africa with it. Their PH's were astounded how quick and decisively all plains game dropped to it and the ranges some of this game was taken at. That is why I have decided to obtain something even better A 358RUM. Did I say I liked the case, I am also a 358 cal nut incase people have not noticed.

gundog
.275 member

Reged: 16/10/10
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #283660 - 09/06/16 07:15 PM

I'll try & photograph that rifle this wkend Gryph. Looking forward to finishing load development with the 230gn Berger as well, although that will be a couple of weeks away yet, but it's shooting really well.

Ripp
.577 member

#283675 - 10/06/16 02:29 AM

Quote:

Not boring at all Ripp. Informative. A couple of notes if I may. When talking the fast 30's I was trying to stay in a standard 30-06 length action. This does not apply to the Rem 700 as a few minor tweaks and it will take 375H&H length cartridges no problem. Hang over from its great grandpapy the P14/M17. The 300 Rum would be my choice if a magnum length action/Rem 700 were to be used, I really do like the case. What you say about the 338 RUM I have heard from others that have hunted Africa with it. Their PH's were astounded how quick and decisively all plains game dropped to it and the ranges some of this game was taken at. That is why I have decided to obtain something even better A 358RUM. Did I say I liked the case, I am also a 358 cal nut incase people have not noticed.

WOW--You will have to advise how that project goes..that should be a real stomper....
Every RUM I have used I have really liked...

In my experience, all the hype that the barrels don't last in the RUM's is erroneous if you used just a tiny bit of common sense..I rebarreled my 300 RUM last year--.Had HS do it..but the biggest reason I did it was I wanted a fluted barrel..per the bore scope of my old barrel, it had plenty of life and accuracy left and I had purchased that rifle in 2001. ..it has traveled with me all over the world including 4 hunts in Africa..

Can you go shooting in a prairie dog town with it and expect great barrel life??? Of course not, but that's where that common sense thing kicks in again...for every day hunting, those barrels will outlast most hunters lifetimes a couple times over...

Metals are better today than they were in the past, people are more cognizant of letting barrels cool and in my case, I take better care of the barrels. Finally there is a large supply of good cleaning products like WIPEOUT which I believe was an issue in years gone by where some barrels just simply were not cleaned properly and discarded as "shot out".

As to liking the case..I agree, along with the RUM, I am a bit enamored with the new Nosler cartridges. Basically the same as the RUM only a bit shorter..which can be good or bad..I've been trying to convince women my entire life a little shorter isn't a bad thing..

I believe the Nosler and RUMs are superior case designs to tbe belted cases. I plan to use them a lot for a very long time.

If I was to build a RUM specific for Africa it would probably be a 416 RUM..BUT, in my experience you don't need any more than the regular plain jane 416 Rem already gives you..it hammers game like none other I have used and is still flat enough for longer shots. Think particularly in Africa, lots of speed isn't as needed nor wanted, especially for the dangerous stuff.

Ripp

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (10/06/16 11:52 AM)

gryphon
.450 member

Re: 300 Win. Mag...TOUGH TO BEAT article by Boddington [Re: gundog]
      #283687 - 10/06/16 06:44 AM

Quote:

I'll try & photograph that rifle this wkend Gryph. Looking forward to finishing load development with the 230gn Berger as well, although that will be a couple of weeks away yet, but it's shooting really well.

Ok mate,btw its not easy to take pics of a rifle close enough to fill the pic yet capture the barrel tip to butt end.

Good luck with that 30 inch barrel!

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#284278 - 22/06/16 02:37 AM

Well- read the article by Craig, thought over how many of my friends were really happy with their .300 Win. Mags, so I bought one. A Browning A-3 with 26" bl. dark walnut stock - looks like Turkish Walnut - beautiful bl. inside - also picked up some factory ammo to test different bullets weights along with some bullets from 150gr. TSX to 210gr. Bergers - just for fun. The scope is a MOA Vortex with 30moa stadia lines, so with no scope adjustment, I should be able to ring the 1,000yard gongs at our new range. Kinda looking forward to this, but now it's fishing season. Had the gun for a while, still unfired. LOL

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2654

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com