Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Scout scope on double

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Bukken
.224 member

Reged: 14/03/09
Loc: Norway
Scout scope on double
      #284080 - 18/06/16 07:12 AM

In John Taylor's excellent book on African rifles and cartridges he laments the fact that a scope mounted in the usual fashion will be a detriment to a quick reload. He goes on to say that this will continue until a scope is made with sufficient eye relief to facilitate mounting forward of the breech. These days we have scout scopes with longer eye relief, but I have yet to see the idea mentioned anywhere else than in Taylor's book. I realize that a scout scope will leave the rifle aesthetically challenged to many, but less so than a Holosight. Do any of you good people here at NE know of a break-open gun with a scout scope, and can comment on its virtues and vices?

--------------------
Charlie's listening!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
herrdoktor
.275 member

Reged: 03/08/07
Loc: Spain
Re: Scout scope on double [Re: Bukken]
      #285000 - 09/07/16 07:48 PM

Please, donīt do that!

ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
Re: Scout scope on double [Re: herrdoktor]
      #285026 - 10/07/16 03:36 PM

Had a 308 pistol with a scope on it one time totally ridiculous.spent more time trying to line me,the scope,the reticule,and the target up then it was worth.if u have time and are as steady as Leonardo Da Vinci then fine but swinging around in the bushes trying to get of a 20yrd shot not seems it could happen.

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

carpediem4570
.300 member

Reged: 28/06/08
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Scout scope on double [Re: ducmarc]
      #286185 - 07/08/16 08:45 AM

It just so happens I have a double in 9.3x74R, SxS, with a leupold fixed 2x long eye relief scope mounted so the rear eye piece is just in front of the breech. Comes to the face with perfect clarity every time. Fast. Love it.

Will take a pic when I am back at the house.

Kind regards,

carpediem4570

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

carpediem4570
.300 member

Re: Scout scope on double [Re: carpediem4570]
      #286186 - 07/08/16 09:03 AM

Slight error in the description; it is an intermediate eye relief scope. Pictures at the following post:

Re: Intermediate eye relief pistol scope on a dr/ double rifles/ carpediem4570/ 13/03/10 01:33 PM

Search my posts under carpediem4570 and find the above post. You will see several pics of the dr with scope.

Kind regards,

carpediem4570

--------------------
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-Chrdonnay in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #286188 - 07/08/16 09:49 AM

No pictures! Gone from the posts.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

carpediem4570
.300 member

Re: Scout scope on double [Re: DarylS]
      #286318 - 11/08/16 08:48 AM

I just looked at them. Anyway, how can I copy and paste here?

Kind regards,
carpediem

--------------------

carpediem4570
.300 member

#286319 - 11/08/16 08:52 AM

Here you go:

http://nitroexpress.info/ezine/CptCurlFiles/Double_Rifles/ozhunter/Scope_Recommendation/DSCN0686.jpg

--------------------

carpediem4570
.300 member

#286320 - 11/08/16 08:54 AM

More Here:

http://nitroexpress.info/ezine/CptCurlFiles/Double_Rifles/ozhunter/Scope_Recommendation/DSCN0692.jpg

http://nitroexpress.info/ezine/CptCurlFiles/Double_Rifles/ozhunter/Scope_Recommendation/DSCN0694.jpg

http://nitroexpress.info/ezine/CptCurlFiles/Double_Rifles/ozhunter/Scope_Recommendation/DSCN0687.jpg

http://nitroexpress.info/ezine/CptCurlFiles/Double_Rifles/ozhunter/Scope_Recommendation/DSCN0689.jpg

http://nitroexpress.info/ezine/CptCurlFiles/Double_Rifles/ozhunter/Scope_Recommendation/DSCN0689.jpg

--------------------

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #286338 - 11/08/16 05:50 PM

That looks a nicely balanced set up with the scope mounted nice and low and of course when the gun is broken open you do not have half the scope hanging out the back of the barrels. I find that scopes in the ordinary position on doubles, most mounted too high, make the double look unbalanced. Maybe they are mounted high to not interfere with the loading but that just highlights that the normal eye relief scope is not ideally suited for the double. Compared with the fit of the gun for open sights which is the prime use of a big double, the high scope cannot possible be as 'efficient' to use.

I have the Leupold 2x EER scope set up on my 404 Mauser too, nice and low and the forward position of the ocular lens makes loading or recharging the magazine a breeze. I wouldn't change it for anything.

Note that Taylor stresses several times when discussing scopes on guns that they must be mounted "correctly in the low position" or as "low as possible". He did use scopes so obviously knew a thing or two on their use on African game.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 74 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2669

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com