Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Help With Merkel Muzzle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
OntarioNimrod
.224 member

Reged: 07/06/16
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Help With Merkel Muzzle
      #283626 - 08/06/16 12:15 PM

I've found a used Merkel .470 online. The dealer sent me some pictures. Any idea what these marks are on the muzzle/crown?

Merkel Muzzle

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Help With Merkel Muzzle [Re: OntarioNimrod]
      #283628 - 08/06/16 12:39 PM

They appear to be some form of "witness" mark - but why?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rockdoc
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Help With Merkel Muzzle [Re: DarylS]
      #283636 - 08/06/16 07:37 PM

They looked to me as though they have been ground or filed. Similar position each side

mauserand9mm
.400 member

Reged: 03/09/09
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Re: Help With Merkel Muzzle [Re: Rockdoc]
      #283637 - 08/06/16 09:44 PM

Does look like it's been filed back and then chamfered - inside barrel (crowning?) and outside, but the outside chamfer stops near the top rib because they couldn't get the file in there. Maybe the original crowning got damaged so they trimmed the barrels back.

I'll try and get some pics of my Merkel 500NE muzzle for comparison.

Can't say what the mark is.

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
      #283638 - 08/06/16 09:45 PM

Quote:

I've found a used Merkel .470 online. The dealer sent me some pictures. Any idea what these marks are on the muzzle/crown?

Merkel Muzzle

Are you referring to the dark spots? That looks like some sort of a stain in the solder. Can you inspect it in person?

Postman
.375 member

Re: Help With Merkel Muzzle [Re: Postman]
      #283639 - 08/06/16 10:06 PM

You are in Ontario, but I'm not sure where (it's a big province after all). I would suggest you jump in the car and take a trip to Epps and personally inspect the new Merkel .500 NE they have in stock. This will give you a reference point to know what a factory finished Merkel muzzle looks like.

While you're there, you can also fondle the rifles to see what fits your physique and what doesn't. If the Merkels dont fit you, then it's simply not for you at all assuming you're buying it to shoot it. Believe me when I say, if one of these big bores don't fit, then the recoil will be unbearable. My first .470 was a Blaser s2 and it was unpleasant in the extreme to fire. With every shot, it bashed my cheek bone and mashed my second finger all to rat shit against the trigger guard. The biggest I've ever owned was a Heym in .500 - it is a bit of a step up in recoil from a .470, but I can shoot it very effectively without experiencing mashed fingers or dental work.

Edited by Postman (08/06/16 10:07 PM)

Postman
.375 member

#283642 - 09/06/16 12:28 AM

So I went to look at the Merkel I have and there is no discernible chamfer on the outside edge of the barrels at the muzzle. It is very square and almost what one might call "sharp". There is a small chamfer on the inside of the bore as one would expect where the crown was finished at the factory. Mine is a 9.3 x 74R, but I expect that factory finishes at the muzzle would be much the same irrespective of bore. My other doubles of recent manufacture show similar traits, but the Heyms have a tiny bit more pronounced internal crown chamfer. The external edges of the muzzle display the same squared off trait as the Merkel with no discernible chamfer. Hope this helps......

OntarioNimrod
.224 member

#283643 - 09/06/16 01:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Merkel Muzzle

Are you referring to the dark spots? That looks like some sort of a stain in the solder. Can you inspect it in person?

I'm wondering about the dark spots, the dark line connecting the 2 muzzles, and the marks around both crowns.

Yes, It's only about a 90 minute drive to go have a look, but I'm just trying to understand what I'd be looking at, and how to know what to avoid.

Thank you.

OntarioNimrod
.224 member

#283644 - 09/06/16 02:02 AM

Quote:

You are in Ontario, but I'm not sure where (it's a big province after all). I would suggest you jump in the car and take a trip to Epps and personally inspect the new Merkel .500 NE they have in stock. This will give you a reference point to know what a factory finished Merkel muzzle looks like.

Excellent suggestion. I suspect I'll find that a new muzzle looks a tad different. Thank you.

OntarioNimrod
.224 member

#283645 - 09/06/16 02:04 AM

Quote:

So I went to look at the Merkel I have and there is no discernible chamfer on the outside edge of the barrels at the muzzle. It is very square and almost what one might call "sharp". There is a small chamfer on the inside of the bore as one would expect where the crown was finished at the factory. Mine is a 9.3 x 74R, but I expect that factory finishes at the muzzle would be much the same irrespective of bore. My other doubles of recent manufacture show similar traits, but the Heyms have a tiny bit more pronounced internal crown chamfer. The external edges of the muzzle display the same squared off trait as the Merkel with no discernible chamfer. Hope this helps......

It does. Thank you.

These marks wouldn't just be evidence that the rifle has been re-regulated at some point?

Postman
.375 member

#283664 - 09/06/16 10:16 PM

Re-regulation was a thought that also crossed my mind. It is entirely possible, but why the metal work, aka filing, chamfering, etc?

To re-regulate, I would think a melting of the solder and a reposition of the barrels using the existing and uncut / unfiled metal work would suffice. Maybe a flat file to clean up any roughness where extraneous solder may have collected, but why the chamfering creativity?

Others here on the forum are far more qualified than myself to comment on the process of re-regulating and the required cosmetics associated thereto. I would imagine that maybe the ribs need to be removed, and the muzzle solder melted out in order to reposition the barrels and then test firing. Then the ribs reattached, and the whole bloody thing reblued....

Would the dealer answer questions wrt to the state of the muzzles or allow test firing? If the cost differential between this one and a new one is not great, I'd go for the new one and simply avoid the shenanigans that may or may not have gone on.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #283667 - 10/06/16 12:03 AM

Quote:

Merkel Muzzle

There's not a thing wrong with those muzzles. The chamfering is correct, and the polish marks look just right. The black marks are discoloration from firing - powder residue and nothing more.

Merkel has the practice of leaving the barrel wedge prominent. The finisher used a flat hone to polish the face of the muzzles. He first polished horizontally above and below the square wedge. Then he polished vertically to the left and to the right of the wedge. So in the final finish you will see vertical polish marks to the left and right with horizontal polish marks above and below the wedge. All are defined by the width and height of the prominent wedge.

The black marks will clean off with a bit of solvent and judicious rubbing.

To make you feel a little better I just pulled out the barrels to my Merkel .500NE. They are exactly the same, even to the point of having some powder residue. I know that mine has not been altered in any way, since I bought the rifle brand new.

A Merkel is a very well-made and serviceable rifle. They fit and handle well. They represent very good value in today's market.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Postman
.375 member

Re: Help With Merkel Muzzle [Re: CptCurl]
      #283672 - 10/06/16 12:36 AM

I would completely and absolutely defer to Curl. He has far greater experience than I in these matters.

I also wholeheartedly agree with Merkel being well made and good value for the money.

OntarioNimrod
.224 member

#283679 - 10/06/16 05:49 AM

Quote:

Re-regulation was a thought that also crossed my mind. It is entirely possible, but why the metal work, aka filing, chamfering, etc?

To re-regulate, I would think a melting of the solder and a reposition of the barrels using the existing and uncut / unfiled metal work would suffice. Maybe a flat file to clean up any roughness where extraneous solder may have collected, but why the chamfering creativity?

Others here on the forum are far more qualified than myself to comment on the process of re-regulating and the required cosmetics associated thereto. I would imagine that maybe the ribs need to be removed, and the muzzle solder melted out in order to reposition the barrels and then test firing. Then the ribs reattached, and the whole bloody thing reblued....

Would the dealer answer questions wrt to the state of the muzzles or allow test firing? If the cost differential between this one and a new one is not great, I'd go for the new one and simply avoid the shenanigans that may or may not have gone on.

So far, the dealer hasn't been able to tell me much. I doubt test firing is an option, but I intend to ask. As for cost, at the moment, it's really no better than comparable specimens out there that don't have any of these "questions", but if I can talk him down some...

Thanks again.

OntarioNimrod
.224 member

Re: Help With Merkel Muzzle [Re: CptCurl]
      #283682 - 10/06/16 05:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Merkel Muzzle

There's not a thing wrong with those muzzles. The chamfering is correct, and the polish marks look just right. The black marks are discoloration from firing - powder residue and nothing more.

Merkel has the practice of leaving the barrel wedge prominent. The finisher used a flat hone to polish the face of the muzzles. He first polished horizontally above and below the square wedge. Then he polished vertically to the left and to the right of the wedge. So in the final finish you will see vertical polish marks to the left and right with horizontal polish marks above and below the wedge. All are defined by the width and height of the prominent wedge.

The black marks will clean off with a bit of solvent and judicious rubbing.

To make you feel a little better I just pulled out the barrels to my Merkel .500NE. They are exactly the same, even to the point of having some powder residue. I know that mine has not been altered in any way, since I bought the rifle brand new.

A Merkel is a very well-made and serviceable rifle. They fit and handle well. They represent very good value in today's market.

Curl

Thanks for your help. And while I certainly agree with your general comments about Merkels (based on what I know of them), I don't think we are seeing eye to eye on these muzzles (unless this is one of those "is the dress white & gold, or blue & black"? things!) because, to me, your muzzles look quite a bit different. And I've since had other dealers send me pics of the muzzles of their Merkels (new and used), and none of them have that mysterious line under the wedge connecting the 2 crowns. Are you saying that it came from the factory that way, because that's hard for me to believe. And again, the others I have seen were clean and bright like yours. Ultimately, there may not be anything wrong at all, but it looks odd.

Postman
.375 member

#283685 - 10/06/16 06:11 AM

The line to me looks like the top of the bottom rib. On Curl's you can see the same line where the two different metal types meet. Why the line is so pronounced could be powder residue simply accentuating the join..... If the dealer is relatively local, it's likely worth your while to inspect in person.

OntarioNimrod
.224 member

#283689 - 10/06/16 07:04 AM

Quote:

The line to me looks like the top of the bottom rib. On Curl's you can see the same line where the two different metal types meet. Why the line is so pronounced could be powder residue simply accentuating the join..... If the dealer is relatively local, it's likely worth your while to inspect in person.

That is indeed the plan. Perhaps as soon as tomorrow. About 2 hours' drive.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 97 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2670

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com