Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My new "iron"

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
ovny
.375 member

Reged: 19/06/08
Loc: Spain
My new "iron"
      #283346 - 04/06/16 04:33 AM

It is a Ardesa Pursuit G4; .50 caliber, what do you think ?. I want to use it to hunt; at night waiting; boars. Is good choice?

Ovny.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: My new "iron" [Re: ovny]
      #283359 - 04/06/16 08:07 AM

Good luck - I know nothing about those rifles.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: My new "iron" [Re: DarylS]
      #283361 - 04/06/16 08:57 AM

Like Daryl I no nothing about those rifles and wish you good hunting. Some photos of the muzzle flash of a night time would be good.

ovny
.375 member

Re: My new "iron" [Re: Rule303]
      #283386 - 04/06/16 04:09 PM

Thank you.

Ovny.

--------------------
I am Spanish

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #283387 - 04/06/16 04:38 PM

Ovny,

Perhaps you can tell us a little about your new rifle?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

ovny
.375 member

Re: My new "iron" [Re: NitroX]
      #283390 - 04/06/16 05:07 PM

Well I do not know much about it, it is a type Ardesa inline, .50 caliber, I bought him to shoot balls .490 with patches lubricated although it would be appropriate to use current sabot projectiles. It is a lightweight and very pleasant to the touch weapon (I have not fired the rifle). I'm going to use with open sights at the moment because the budget does not allow me to put frames and visor. And a little more I can say. You know how I am, I will be years without firing the rifle. I'm Hunter shotgun and minor pieces lol.

--------------------
I am Spanish

ovny
.375 member

#283391 - 04/06/16 05:13 PM

This is the rest of the material I have for the Ardesa. In Spain get quality powder it is difficult and expensive. The rifle uses primers used in shotgun cartridges. As I try I tell you how it goes.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h232/o...psydezrbn3.jpeg

Ovny

--------------------
I am Spanish

Edited by ovny (04/06/16 05:14 PM)

ovny
.375 member

#283392 - 04/06/16 05:18 PM

Please "click " the link and see the picture. Thank you.

Ovny.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #283409 - 04/06/16 11:31 PM

ovny,
I have never had this exact rifle, however I know a bit about this type of rifle. You will like the 209 shotgun primers that set it off, they hardly ever fail, and are hotter and have a longer period of fire to help set off stubborn powders.

You may be able to shoot patched round balls in your new gun but I don't know how accurate they will be. Your rifle is actually meant to shoot saboted bullets, that's why it has the loading relief cut into the muzzle, to make it easier to load the saboted bullets into the barrel. After you get done trying the round balls loads, I would suggest that you get some saboted bullets and try them also.

It appears that your gun also has a manually removable breech plug, and that is another nice feature, just keep it cleaned thoroughly and lightly greased and it will always be easily removable.
This can be really important if you ever forget to load the powder first, and yes, most of us who have used muzzle loaders for very long have forgotten at least once to "powder the ball", and it is not something you soon forget. The easily removed breechplug makes it possible to push the ball forward a bit and put some powder behind it, just be sure you reseat the ball firmly on the powder!

The main advantage of the breechplug is to make it easier to clean, and it does that very well. Since your gun has 1/28 rifling twist, a fairly fast rifling for a muzzle loader, that equates to longer bullets being loaded for it. If you don't especially like sabots, and I don't, you can buy a 50 caliber Lee REAL,(Rifling engraved at loading), bullet mold and use those. I use them in my Remington 700ML inline and like the 200 grain size a lot for deer hunting, they would be very useful in the 250 gain size for hogs. They are much cheaper and easier to load with and I have never had a failure to kill with them if I hit the right spot.

I don't know if you can buy real black powder there or not, but I greatly prefer it over most of the so called black powder replacements that are out there. I absolutely refuse to use Pyrodex as it is MORE CORROSIVE than black powder and the velocities vary a lot between loads of the same amounts. If you must use a replacement powder for black, I would recommend triple 7, it is cleaner burning and more even in the speeds it produces. Maybe the best feature of an inline muzzle loader is the fact that they are relatively waterproof and you don't have to worry about whether or not they are going to go off in a drizzling rain. Good luck with your new rifle. Bob

ovny
.375 member

Re: My new "iron" [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #283410 - 04/06/16 11:45 PM

Thank you very much for your answer, surely buy later sabot bullets because I think like you that is most appropriate. Honestly is a facility to remove the rear barrel nock to download the weapon even if not shoot her. Again thank you for your response.

Regards,

Ovny.

--------------------
I am Spanish

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #283422 - 05/06/16 02:43 AM

Bob is spot-on with his suggestions. Round balls will likely be a failure, Ovny, especially for hunting. For really light loads with real black powder for plinking or shooting grouse at very close ranges, they might be ok.

The shallow button rifling on those rifles along with their fast (conical bullet) rifling twist is not meant for patched round balls. Bob's suggestion of the R.E.A.L. bullet mould is a good one also - I had thought they were heavier, maybe 250gr. and 300? The REAL bullet moulds I purchased and tried in my .45 calibre flintlock rifle, were 200 and 220gr.

As well, Hornady markets (or used to market) "Buffalo Bullets" in red plastic boxes. These are full size, dry lubricated bullets and are heavier yet and intended for the 28" to 32" twist rates of the inline rifles.

I actually tried them in my original .50/70 Sharps barrel and they shot fairly well - good enough for hunting deer or hogs to about 100meters - 4-5" groups at 100 with the carbine's original sights. Full sized bullets that I cast muself, shot best.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

ovny
.375 member

Re: My new "iron" [Re: DarylS]
      #283433 - 05/06/16 06:57 AM

I will use balls .490 for recreational shooting. To hunt I have to use bullet and sabot.

Ovny

--------------------
I am Spanish

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #283474 - 06/06/16 02:18 AM

Ovny,
Good Plan! Round balls for plinking and bullets for hunting medium to large big game. Bob

ovny
.375 member

Re: My new "iron" [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #283511 - 06/06/16 07:06 PM

Thanks mate, the truth is that for plinking most economical is to use the balls. For hunting worth using bullets quality, although I think to shoot a boar about 50 meters balls can serve perfectly without being the most appropriate. Waits in the boar does not fire at very long distances. But if I want to buy bullets with sabot and to make some longer shots.

Regards,

Ovny.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2501

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com