Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: David Lloyd rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
simonsaorsa
.300 member

Reged: 11/05/06
Loc: UK
Re: David Lloyd rifle [Re: kuduae]
      #283094 - 30/05/16 07:55 AM

Lloyd was what we in England would call a toff - not really a gunmaker in the German sense at all. He got contract workers in the guntrade to make his rifles.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Old_Glass
.300 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: BC, Canada
Re: David Lloyd rifle [Re: simonsaorsa]
      #283108 - 30/05/16 05:48 PM

More information is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_rifle

He was dead right about scopes IMHO: far too many scopes with flimsy tubes in flimsy mounts that do nothing to protect the scope from blows, and often mounted far too high. To say nothing of the fugly bases and rings we make nowadays. I'd say his aesthetic sense was excellent, certainly unique as well.

He probably should have had a scope tube made thick out of titanium and a simpler mount, but I'm not even sure that would give the same support and rigidity. And if you can't hit your target with a fixed 6x I doubt a 10-24x variable is going to get you there either.

"Lloyd rifles are generally accurate, with most shooting to 1.5 MOA or better; but the massive scope mounts integral to the Lloyd concept had the effect of bending and torquing the rifles' actions out of blueprint. This inevitably caused stresses and imperfections, preventing the rifles achieving the full precision accuracy potential of the cartridges used. But within the approximately 300 yard ranges for which they had been designed and zeroed, Lloyd's rifles in fast magnum calibres performed very well. The majority of Lloyd rifles were chambered in .244 H&H Magnum, .264 Winchester Magnum and .25-06 Remington."

I'm a bit sceptical to say the least of that statement about the scope mounts "bending and torquing the rifles' actions out of blueprint". There is no connection between them except the scope tube, so how could they do that? Only if one mount was left tight while a knucklehead attempted to adjust the other one. Unless of course Lloyd designed his mounts to imitate the good old "Suhler Einhakmontage" by twisting the scope tube and front rings when the rear rings were adjusted for windage. That seems highly unlikely however.

He obviously believed in recycling with those WWI surplus Gew98 actions he seemed to favour.

I've admired the Lloyd rifles since I first saw them.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/rifle/david-lloyd-rifle

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auctio...145/lot-3806174

Edited by Old_Glass (30/05/16 05:50 PM)

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: David Lloyd rifle *DELETED* [Re: Old_Glass]
      #283118 - 31/05/16 04:37 AM

Post deleted by grandveneur

simonsaorsa
.300 member

Re: David Lloyd rifle [Re: Old_Glass]
      #283120 - 31/05/16 07:05 AM

Mounts in the later Lloyd style are still available from this independent gunsmith who worked on Lloyd rifles for Lloyd. One inch tubes only and small objectives up to 40mm O/D for around £200 in the white,( when I asked ) Unfortunately my Nickel 4x has a 26mm tube and 44mm O/d objective so that plan went out of the window.

http://www.craigwhitseygunmakers.co.uk/html/arundel_sights.html

Criag Whitsey was then with John Wilkes in Beak Street, Soho, London W1, who were at one time contracted to make rifles for Lloyd.

Whitsey is now based in Arundel near the south coast in Suusex.

simonsaorsa
.300 member

Re: David Lloyd rifle [Re: grandveneur]
      #283121 - 31/05/16 07:14 AM

very nice. After Lloyd died , his business was carried on for a while by I think a nephew for his widow before being sold. Anyway, they had a stand at the Game Fair one year and I think all they had were 7mm Rem Mags.

Very nice looking rifles in the flesh IMHO. I think the bolt handle design is the stand out feature along with the very low sight mount.

simonsaorsa
.300 member

Re: David Lloyd rifle [Re: simonsaorsa]
      #283123 - 31/05/16 07:35 AM

4 available second hand here, plus a Sako action converted to use Lloyd style mounts

http://www.emma-rifles.co.uk/shop/

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 15275

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com